awake during procedure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

awake during procedure awake during procedure

Unread 01-06-2006, 09:12 PM
awake during procedure

hello all... is there anyone out there that has had to have a epidural for TAH, BSO . My Dr. does not want to put me asleep b/c I suffer afterwards.. anyways any help wld be great appreciated My pre-op appt is on the 19th...
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 07:29 AM
awake during procedure

I wasn't awake for my TAH/BSO - but I did have 3 c-sections with epidurals...
It's a strange sensation knowing that there is surgery going on and it's your body, but you don't see anything due to the drapes they put up. You'll have someone right there by your head talking with you and monitoring your blood pressure etc. Personally, I found it really interesting to listen to the surgeon, mine explained what was happening every step of the way.
Ask your doctor for more details - maybe you could have a consultation with the anesthesiologist? Best wishes.

TAH/BSO
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:42 PM
awake during procedure

I really dont know much about epidurals even though I was awake for 2 c section. I cannot imagine being awake for an operation that could last for 2 or 3 hours. I don't recall any sisters being awake for a TAH, but...I could be wrong. Sisters????? Anyone out there. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 03:58 PM
awake during procedure

If they do an epidural, they will also give you something to relax you (demerol) and maybe Versid (which is like an amnesic drug where you don't remember anything). I started out with an epidural and Versid, but started wiggling too much due to itching from the Duramorph (pain med), so I had general anesthesia also. I don't remember anything at all after kissing DH goodbye until getting back into the room. People tell me I talked with them and had great conversations for the first hour or so. I also have problems with nausea and surgery, so they gave me a patch and I did fine. You may have more problems than nausea that cause him to want to do an epidural. The great thing with the epidural is that they can put in some 24 hr pain meds (Duramorph) which keeps you pain free for the first day. When you go in for your pre-op, ask questions about whether you will remember the surgery. I think it is definitely the way to go for you. Good luck.
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:03 AM
awake during procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagster
If they do an epidural, they will also give you something to relax you (demerol) and maybe Versid (which is like an amnesic drug where you don't remember anything). I started out with an epidural and Versid, but started wiggling too much due to itching from the Duramorph (pain med), so I had general anesthesia also. I don't remember anything at all after kissing DH goodbye until getting back into the room. People tell me I talked with them and had great conversations for the first hour or so. I also have problems with nausea and surgery, so they gave me a patch and I did fine. You may have more problems than nausea that cause him to want to do an epidural. The great thing with the epidural is that they can put in some 24 hr pain meds (Duramorph) which keeps you pain free for the first day. When you go in for your pre-op, ask questions about whether you will remember the surgery. I think it is definitely the way to go for you. Good luck.
Thank you for ur information. I will definately ask when I go to pre-op. That makes alot of sense about that Versid drug.... who wld really want to remember that. I will let u know what pre-op tells me! thank you!
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:12 AM
awake during procedure

Thank you all for the great information. It helps alot. I had 4 kids with only my 1st with an epidural but no c-sections. I only remembered how much I wanted that HUGE needle b/c of all the pain of labour!!! But now there wont be any pain b4 operation... I keep tellin myself, if I had my 2nd child come out bum first..I can handle this!!!! I also thought that listening to them talk might be interesting but for that long??? Maybe I may fall asleep! lol
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
awake during procedure

Karebare,
I do not recall the epidural at all - was under the influence of Versid. I worried about it because of the "big stick," but if it hurt, I have no recollection. The only discomfort I remember is the IV being placed in my hand and that was not really painful. I had my first experience with versid with a colonoscopy. Since I know most of my Drs. personally, I often wonder if I said or did anything embarassing while under it's effect! Some of the questions you want to ask may not be able to be answered during pre-op, but when you meet with the anesthesiologist the morning of surgery. He or she will be the one to make the decisions about the patch for nausea. I was so nervous that my stomach felt like it was upset, even though it was empty. They immediately gave me something through the IV to calm my stomach - maybe Reglan? It acted very quickly and the queesiness went away and I was able to quit worrying about having an upset stomach while on the OR table. The anesthesia nurse was so nice and eager to make my experience pain free. But, you have to tell them how you are feeling and what you have experienced before, so they will help you through. Best wishes.
Unread 01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
awake during procedure

I remember sitting up on the operating table to get spinal anesthesia (like an epidural, but it goes in at a different level I think?), and that's the LAST thing I remember before waking up in recovery. The spinal gave me great pain relief for several hours, and I was totally awake and alert after my surgery. This was the way to go for me!
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:07 PM
awake during procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagster
Karebare,
I do not recall the epidural at all - was under the influence of Versid. I worried about it because of the "big stick," but if it hurt, I have no recollection. The only discomfort I remember is the IV being placed in my hand and that was not really painful. I had my first experience with versid with a colonoscopy. Since I know most of my Drs. personally, I often wonder if I said or did anything embarassing while under it's effect! Some of the questions you want to ask may not be able to be answered during pre-op, but when you meet with the anesthesiologist the morning of surgery. He or she will be the one to make the decisions about the patch for nausea. I was so nervous that my stomach felt like it was upset, even though it was empty. They immediately gave me something through the IV to calm my stomach - maybe Reglan? It acted very quickly and the queesiness went away and I was able to quit worrying about having an upset stomach while on the OR table. The anesthesia nurse was so nice and eager to make my experience pain free. But, you have to tell them how you are feeling and what you have experienced before, so they will help you through. Best wishes.
Thankyou Wagster for ur info...I cannot believe how much info I have received from everyone here. You have all been so helpful!
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:32 PM
awake during procedure

I had an epidural for my TAH and don't remember much of anything either. I know that Versid was given also as they said this will "wipe out" your short term memory of the event. I remember in the holding room getting what the nurse called my "SIX PACK" (like a 6-pk of beer!) - I remember laughing and saying I don't drink - she said well, this will be like a case for you then! I recall a dizzy feeling just a few seconds later and them asking me to roll on my side for the epidural needle, which I didn't feel at all. You will be fine. My epidural was kept in for a day and a half for pain control - and my DR said this was the best way to go with a TAH. I can say that looking back, the pain was not totally unbearable. I was given something else in between also but can't recall was it was. Good Luck with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register