KEEP OVARIES ? cervical 1b1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

KEEP OVARIES ? cervical 1b1 KEEP OVARIES ? cervical 1b1

Unread 01-07-2006, 07:22 AM
KEEP OVARIES ? cervical 1b1

My head is spinning,esp since surgery is 3 days away. I am very fit(yoga + massage therapist) and usually feel if it isn't broken don't fix it. If I was to leave one ovary in,is there a preference to left over right? and what does cervical cancer have to do with ovarian cancer? I am perimenopausal but worry about sacrificing quality of life now and my health later, as I'm scared of HRT too. Has anyone taken dong quai or heard of it? Lots of love and thanks for feedback...
Best wishes to all women who walk together with love
if we speake kind words we'll hear kind echo
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 10:43 AM

There's always a lot to think about, isn't there?

There is no known link between cervical cancer and ovarian cancer. Some women do opt to have their ovaries out, though, to reduce their risk of ovarian cancer. I kept mine and they are still working great 5 years later. Is there a reason you're thinking of keeping only 1 ovary?

I do want to let you know, though, that if there is chemo or radiation in your future, the ovaries could be damaged if left in and then rendered non-functional. Some women with 1b1 cervical cancer have chemo/radiation, others do not. Sometimes they don't know for sure until the surgery is complete and the final pathology report is back.

I don't know anything about dong quai, but perhaps someone will be along soon with some information.

Good luck! Let us know how your surgery goes!

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:38 PM

I was in perimenopause and sick of the shifting hormones so I asked my dr. to take my ovaries out. He did, and now I am 7 weeks postop and taking HRT. My Dr. said the lastest study says that the study that scared everyone away from HRT was found to be done only on older women who were at higher risk for heart attack/strok anyway. Who knows? It seems to change all the time. I just figured you have to consider your quality of life. I couldn't stand the night sweats, hot flashes, and mood swings anymore. Plus, I was having bad migraines alot. I'll take my chances with the HRT, thank you very much! I feel much better now on the HRT.

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Sherry,
I glad to hear your feeling better now! I really don't have and terrible complaints. Some night sweats, but it also depends what i eat it seems.Spicy food or wine seems to bring them on. Mood swings and fragile emotionally though. I'll talk to dr. on monday and see if he'll agree on leaving ovaries. I was thinking leaving only one would lessen the risk of anything later.As far as i know he hasn't even done blood work on my estrogen levels. I am so grateful to have found this site!!
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Jeannie,
I wanted to asked if you have heard of a radical trachelectomy? also, if the ovaries are non functioning in the body, is there a risk of any other complications? Thanks and more thanks!
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Hi there - we must really be "hyster" sisters, as mine is schedule on Jan. 10th. finally decided to join the site today, as I've been checking it out before. I hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 01-07-2006, 06:24 PM

My Dr. said that of the women who leave their ovaries in only 3% ever have to go back in to deal with ovary problems later. I am asking that my Dr. leave mine unless they are diseased...
Unread 01-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Interesting...I had a Dr. tell me that %50 of ovaries left go kaput within 3 years....course this was the Dr. that I DIDN"T end up going with. It's difficult to know who or what posted info to believe.....I think in the end you must trust your physicians reccomendation, and then believe with all your heart that you made the right choice because regrets are a waste of energy. On another note, I too am a massage therapist and will be having a TAH on Jan 31. My clients are complaining, but I refuse to book (even 2 months from now) ahead not knowing how recovery will be. Hope all goes well for you. Karen
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:12 PM

When I mentioned my hysterectomy and ovary removal to my regular doctor he was relieved that I was keeping the healthy organ. He said good choice.

My Gyn also recommended keeping my healthy organ. He said it will take up the slack in hormone production from the loss of my right ovary.

I did not have cervical cancer though. I had irregular bleeding and a complex cyst on my right ovary.

Every situation is different, so of course your doctor would recommend what is best for your health. My doctor had to warn me that if my left was diseased he would remove it too. Thankfully that was not the case.
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:14 AM

Hi Patrice

I don't have any knowledge of cervical cancer, however I had a mass on one of my ovaries that they thought might be cancer, it turned out to be benign, luckily I had the the sense to say please leave the other ovary if it's not cancer (I wish I had said to leave the uterus as well) but my other ovary is working perfectly, my hormone levels are all normal. Most people I ask who have left their ovaries have had no problems, they have worked right up til menopause. I would get a second opinon while you still have the chance because there's no going back once it's done .

One of the ladies at work had cervical cancer 25 years ago and they left her ovaries and she is fine, she didn't need any other treatment and her ovaries functioned normally until the menopause.
Wishing you all the best

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register