anyone with pain shooting down legs during periods? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone with pain shooting down legs during periods? anyone with pain shooting down legs during periods?

Unread 01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
anyone with pain shooting down legs during periods?

I have fibroids, enlarged uterus, and I'm not sure if I have any endo or anything. (I'm sure there is scar tissue due to 3 csections) But I read and hear a lot of women say they have very heavy periods. Mine aren't heavy. They are just so painful! I have this burning stabbing sensation go down the front of my thighs. Plus the abdomen cramping, of course. I get nauseous, almost throwing up, and shakey, and break out in sweats. But I was wondering if anyone else doesn't have a heavy flow but just a lot of pain like me? I will admit my flow is more now than it was last year, and I suspect it would get heavier as time went on if I wasn't having a hysterectomy. Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 09:38 AM

hi kelco, I posted about the same thing a couple weeks ago, no one seemed to have had the issue before. I do have heavy bleeding, but also have the pain. I get sharp pains low on my pelvis, then lighting like shooting pains in the top of my thighs, the nausea vomiting and sweats come right along with it, only my GERD makes it worse. I have talked to doc about it, and she thinks it has something to do with the uterus enlargement, especially during cycles, pinching off nerves, or over sensitizing them. My last few cycles the leg pain has gotten worse, and my feet get tingly afterwards, and my legs look like I don't have any circulation. Have you ever had restless leg syndrome? I guess having that can make the nerves more sensitive. I have had it for years, (i think I had it when I was a kid too)Does it get worse when you stand too long? You would think walking would help but it made mine worse. I sat in the recliner with a pillow under my knees, heating pad on abdomen and it helped. Ibuprophen didn't do anything for it, neither did midol. I also took a hot bath.
I don't know if the info helps, but I surely can sympathize with you.
Talk with your doc about the leg pain, and let me know what they say. No doc has all the answers, so I would be interested in whether yours has a different opinion.
Unread 01-07-2006, 10:15 AM

Hi KelCo!
I had my LAVH for extensive endo and I had the same leg pains before surgery. I had them for about a year before my surgery due to the endo getting worse. Have you asked your Dr. about this?
Hope you feel better!
All the Best,
Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Hi Kelco,

I had fibroids also and I agree with pinched nerves from the enlarged uterus. I had the same sensation. Almost like a leg cramp.

My DD suggested I eat a daily ~banana~ to add to my potassium level. Maybe it is only urban legend, but the daily banana did help alleviate the stabbing pain down my leg.

Best wishes.

Mary
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:55 PM

wow, great to know I'm not alone out there! I think I do have restless leg syndrome! I have told my dh that for the last 2 years. I am especially bad at night, right before bed. I usually have to take motrin, like 4, to go to sleep. I always think I'm making things happen, due to anxiety or something so I've never said anything to my dr. But I never can even sit through a movie. It is torture. I wonder if they will find endo in me? I will be very curious. thanks for all the replies!! You all are so great!
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:18 PM

The banana a day is always good, the potassium helps keep fluid in the muscle?? If you take midol or antihistimines,,or anything that drys you up, or keeps you from retaining water the banana is really important. My dad wheres a full time cath, and takes meds because of it and has to eat one a day..
Thought I would also mention that something that helps that shooting pain is to lay down flat, and stretch out your body a little, turn side to side or something, it the nerves are squished, it might take the pressure off of them. I always tell my hubby I'm going to get horizontal for a bit,, the first few times he thought it was an invitation.!! hehehe Not this time honey I said.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register