Fly to Vegas 3 wks post-op ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fly to Vegas 3 wks post-op ?? Fly to Vegas 3 wks post-op ??

Unread 01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Fly to Vegas 3 wks post-op ??

I have a new date for surgery (Feb 8). I am invited to a wedding in Las Vegas on March 3rd. Any words of wisdom from post-op ladies out there ? I'm trying to decide if I should make plans to go or not. My DH will travel w/ me to handle luggage etc. Doc said I "should be OK" if I use a wheelchair in airport, don't walk too much, don't lift etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Hello,
I could barely walk around a grocerie store at 3 weeks post op ! Most of us have little energy and tire extremely easy. I would talk to your doctor and see what he or she has to say. Best wishes to you,
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:46 PM

I am near three weeks post now (Monday is three weeks) I am in no way ready to get on an airplane. Went out to dinner for the first time last night. You really won't know until after your surgery. If you have LAP surgery it might be different. Good luck.

JJ

SAH for fibroids, kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 01:30 PM

I think I would put that on "wait and see". Which is hard to do when purchasing airline tickets. Also may differ on what type of hyst you are having. But its major surgery on everyone and doesnt matter what kind.

If you look on the post op board, you will see more complications and set-backs due to overdoing it. I have seen 0 posts saying "oops, I underdid it.
Unread 01-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Depending on what surgery you are having, I doubt you will feel up to flying and attending a wedding at 3 weeks. Having said that, I did participate in Christmas 3 wks postop with both family groups and had immediate family for Christmas brunch here at the house. The energy level is just not there. I would be totally exhausted from just sitting and chatting with people at dinner. If you can wait to purchase tickets, I would. No fun to miss big events, so if you go, make sure you take care of yourself and stop when you body tells you it is tired! Best wishes!
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:10 PM

That's a tough one. Three weeks is not much time. I have been to Vegas, and McCarran Airport is a monster, so if you should decide to go, definitely request a wheelchair to get you to the door. There is absolutely no way you could walk it -- it's just too darn big. It's one of the biggest airports I've ever been in -- maybe the biggest. And checkin usually means standing in a long line for a very long time. Also take into consideration that checkin is usually two to three hours before departure time. That means sitting in an uncomfortable airport seat for a very long time.
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:23 PM

Prior to my surgery, I put my daughter in a state tennis tournament 2 hours from home because I thought I would be "mobile" by the time the tournament started . When I got the okay to drive at 2 weeks, I promptly drove her to her first match at 15 days post op. I was so exhausted when she finished her match from the driving and just sitting, that I had to pull her from the rest of the tournament and go home. Even though I had a total lap hyst, I was still exhausted.....so like the advice from the other ladies, wait and see!! Good luck.
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:48 PM

This is my first posting! I was also thinking of flying to Florida about 4 or 5 weeks post op to visit my sister and lie in the sun. My doctor suggested contacting my insurance company to see if they would cover any problems that might occur "IF" I flew after having surgery. Just something to look into. . . (I haven't checked it out myself yet.)
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:03 PM

If I had to travel 3 weeks postop to visit a dying relative, I MIGHT consider doing that, but to take a trip at that point to celebrate a wedding, no, I would not. Even if you have people waiting on you hand and foot, I don't think you would enjoy yourself, and you might delay your healing. If I were you, I would send my congrats and a present and stay home.
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:06 PM

My TAH was on 11/30 - I flew from Houston to Miami on 12/18 - with my doc's permission - could not lift or pull suitcase or my two year old grandson. Actually that week seemed to be like a turning point for me. I started out very sore and as the week went on, I felt better each day. By the time I flew home on 12/23 - was doing lots better - just tired easily. I used my heating pad and rested alot during my visit, but went shopping and stuff too - just no lifting or bending. I went for my 6 week checkup yesterday and was cleared for everything. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register