Hubby making me nervous because I smoke!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hubby making me nervous because I smoke!!!! Hubby making me nervous because I smoke!!!!

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Hubby making me nervous because I smoke!!!!

Does anyone else smoke and worry because there are more risk during surgery for smokers? My husband is constantly reminding me the risk. I do plan to quit after my surgery but with nerves it will have to wait until afterwards. Just curious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:18 PM

I do smoke and I get pnemonia about 1 time a year. Wow am I dumb. I even passed out 1 day post-op when the nurses tried to get me up to use the bathroom. (guess what.....day 2 I walked out of the hospital to have that **** smoke)
Looking back I wish I did stop smoking then cause I was in there 4 days and it would have been a great time to stop.
I would see if you can wear a stop smoking patch while in the hospital.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:19 PM

How much do you smoke? I smoke about a half a pack a day and had no problems. My DBF doesnt smoke and *hates* me smoking. I always smoke outside, never in the house. And he would fuss everytime I went out to do it. Just make sure you use your lung excersize thing. I found it harder to exhale after surgery but that went away pretty quick. Im going to quit someday too, but right now with the hormones raging, this probably isnt the time for me.
I hear they have a patch you can use while in the hospital so you wont loose your mind. I didnt use it, and about lost mine! (lol) But its something to consider. I didnt know about it until after I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:28 PM

I smoke a pack a day and had no problems with surgery related to smoking. I know smoking is bad, but this wasn't the time for me to try to quit........too much stress. Then again, is there ever a good time? LOL. Not for me, I guess.

Sherry
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:29 PM

I am a smoker and had no complications from it. No couging or anything. I am thankful for this.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:30 PM

P.S. I had the works, uterus, tubes, and ovaries removed, and I was only in the hospital one night (because that was all my insurance would pay for).

Sherry
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:37 PM

Smoking is difficult to stop under the very best of circumstances. Adding the stress of surgery makes it harder by a long shot. I was smoking about a pack a day but when I made the decision to have my hyster. I stopped because after my D and C I had a lot of trouble breathing and suffered terribly post op. That was enough to scare me into quitting. Your DH is no doubt concerned about your recovery. Try to cut down as much as possible over the next couple of days. You will not regret it. The fear of not being able to breath well post op is more stress than waiting for the actual operation. Good Luck to you!!!! s
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:44 PM

I smoke about a pack a day. I didnt have any problems with surgery. I am mad at myself cuz I didnt smoke in the hospital 2 days and then quit for 3 days after I got home. The boredome got to me and I HAD to have one!!! Oh well, theres always NEXT time!!!Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:05 PM

I smoke about 1/2 pack a day ( hubby hates it but is not nagging) I'm so sorry yours is,that probably makes you want to smoke more. I have had other surgeries and my smoking never was a problem. I already bought a box of patches to take to the hospital with me. DO ask the anestegologist though if you can apply one before you go under as they may not want you to do that. I'm still taking ciggy's with me though as I know that as soon as I am able to I will be going outside to smoke ! Now there's a good motivator to get me up and moving huh (LOL)
Unread 01-07-2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks!!!! I do feel better now knowing that other people smoked and survived...lol. I really want to quit. I hate something having control over me!!!! I have smoked for 20 years and I really hate it. I will be at the castle monday at 6 in the morning xanex and my cigs are the only thing getting me through this weekend!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register