Recovery Time Discussions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Time Discussions Recovery Time Discussions

Unread 01-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Recovery Time Discussions

All the talk about recovery time has me thinking I'm not going to be able to return to school 2-3 weeks after my surgery. I have to make a decision by tomorrow if I'm going to take the classes I signed up for or not. My doctor is out of town until the 14th, so I can't talk to him about this. Am I completely out there to think I could return in 2-3 weeks?

Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2006, 05:26 AM

Missy,
I'd say 2-3 weeks is early and pushing things a bit. Most likely your doctor won't release you until 4-6 week
post-op. I know each person is different in how they recover, so I'm only speaking from my own recent experience.

I wouldn't anticipate you being able to go to classes and handle a schedule as you did before surgery at the 2-3 week point. Some women are still on prescribed pain meds at the 2 week post-op point- which rules out driving- (don't know if that would apply to you or not.) But something to consider.

As I've read many times on here... you have 1 opportunity to heal correctly, so you need to take the time to rest, and not over do it so your body can heal correctly. So my suggestion would be to hold off on those classes and allow yourself enough time to heal properly.

Sorry you're in a pickle with having to make this decision and your DR being out of town. But you'll find many friends on here who will be glad to try and help! So... I hope this reply helps!

~Sharon~ (hoosier_2005)
TAH & BSO with vertical incision due to large ovarian (possibly cancerous) cysts. Left cyst was the size of a small basketball. Pathology reports came back as "Low malignancy potential"- Praise the Lord! HRT patch Estradiol .05.
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:15 AM

I would think alot of it would depend on the kind of hyster you have as well. I had a vagainal hyster and was back to work in two weeks and regretted it. I go to school as well and start this week, I will be four weeks post op Thursday. I am not sure how I am going to handle the four kids, full time job and school. I am really tired at the end of the day. Can you take any of your classes online, that way you have more flexability.
Just a word of advice from one who thought they could do it all. It is not worth it to over do in the beginning. As we speak today I am still having pain from overdoing. I ended up at the doctor this week because I pulled a ligament that has sutures in or around it at two weeks. He won't give anymore pain meds just lots of advil. So it is better to take it easy and recover properly.
Kelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2006, 06:22 AM

{{{missy}}}, hoosier is correct. You may possibly ba able to return to class at 3 weeks, but I would not count on it. Pain meds will affect your memory, along with the lovely brainfog that often accompanies post op. Most of all you will probably still want to rest and nap at 2-3 weeks and you can't do that in class most women need to nap from time to time long after their 6 weeks. You can't nap if you have homework Sitting for long periods in a class room chair would be uncomfortable at best. Don't be in a huge rush to recover, you only get one chance to heal your body properly.
I see also that you have not posted your type of surgery on your profile or the date, if you have one yet. Please go to your profile and edit it as soon as you find out! s to you
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:26 AM

I had an LAVH. I feel great, but I wouldn't even consider sitting in a chair in a classroom that soon. I substitute teach, and blocked out the next 4 weeks. I really don't want to force myself to do too much too soon.

I would be cautious, and skip the class.
Unread 01-08-2006, 04:26 PM

Hi Missy,
I had a remarkable recovery and was back to working part-time after a week, but my memory was terrible. Although I was physically able to work, my brain didn't return to normal for at least a month. It would have been very difficult to do schoolwork.
Ashley
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks!

Thanks for helping me out gals. I am going to wait until summer. I am only taking two courses...So it won't be a big deal to re-schedule. I am going back to school after being a SAHM for 12 years. So, I'm very excited about it. Hopefully, now I will be pain free when I sign back up.
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:25 PM

I am going to be having a laparoscopy hysterectomy, removing uterus only, any comments or someone who has had this done and would like to give me any advice on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 01-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Unfortunately my TAH/BSO was right after school got out but right before the last class I needed for my teaching credential. I missed that week of classes (had someone videotape it for me), but returned the next week. Someone else had to drive me. Our class was twice a week for 3 hours. I brought my heating pad and plugged it in in the front of the classroom next to the desk that was for handicapped people (had it's own chair). I brought a pillow and put it between the heating pad on my stomach and the desk to offer a little more support. Other than that I was just there. My brain was certainly not working well enough to be an active part of the class, and I also had many frequent "long blinks" because of the medicine I was on. Fortunately my instructor understood, but only when I returned and she saw how bad I really was. She didn't seem to take me seriously when I was telling her about this ahead of time and stuck with her "if you miss more than two classes you fail the class, no exceptions." So, I was there, physically, but not mentally. It hurt to sit up that long without moving around or laying down. I went to school in my pajamas (usually didn't even bother with a bra) and slippers.

If I could have gotten out of it, I would have. I was always burning by the last half of the class, and made sure my teacher knew about it to make her feel guilty for not making an exception for her rule (even if I had someone videotape it she would still fail me). I don't suggest going to classes so soon unless many thousands of dollars you invested is riding on it and you don't have another way out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register