Lots of Questions!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of Questions!!! Lots of Questions!!!

Unread 01-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Lots of Questions!!!

I am having my pre-op this Wed. I have stage 4 cervical cancer. I beleive my dr. would like to leave ovaries if possible. She is to examine me Wed to see if she can do vaginal. I have seen pictures of vaginal surgery as well as abdominal and they both look terrible. I don't like the looks of the vaginal the way they stretch you open. Anyway, is vaginal better than abdominal? How does this surgery affect your sex life? Does the vaginal cuff feel different to a man? How long should I expect to be hospitalized? How soon after pre-op does surgery usually take place? I am really starting to get nervous. This is a pretty serious surgery!! I have had a tubligation and then I had breast implants. This is a lot bigger than those. It is really scary!!!!! Anyone have any answers or words of comfort I will greatly appreciate them!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Lots of Questions!!!

I believe we all have numerous questions. We never feel they are ever going to get answered, but do not stress yourself out, hon. I have several questions myself but I know they will all get answered in due time. My surgery is coming up in a few weeks, the nurses, the dr. will explain things to me as it comes. Just take a deep breath, and relax. Things will work themselves out. Have a good evening.
Unread 01-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Lots of Questions!!!

Hi There!

Wow, you do sound nervous and that's too bad. However, it may help you knowing that's the way most of us felt in the days prior to our surgery. I hope you have taken advantage of the helpful information in Pre-Op Checkpoints. I will also try to provide some answers to your specific questions:

Is vaginal better than abdominal? No type of hysterectomy surgery is "better" than another. It depends on what your surgeon feels is best for your health and condition.

How does this surgery affect your sex life? For some women, sex is better after surgery, for some it's not as good, and for others it's the same.

Does the vaginal cuff feel different to a man? He shouldn't be able to notice any difference.

How long should I expect to be hospitalized? It's typically 2-3 days for a vaginal procedure, and 3-4 days for an abdominal procedure.

How soon after pre-op does surgery usually take place? For me, the pre-op exam had to be done either two days or a day before the surgery. Doctors vary with this requirement.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Lots of Questions!!!

Blessed by 3:

If it is not too late, ask if you can have a screen for the high-risk types of the virus HPV. Most cervical cancer is caused by high-risk types of HPV. While finding out whether you have HPV or not will not alleviate your having to remove the cervix, it can give you an answer as to what caused the cervical cancer (90-95% of cervical cancer has been show to be caused by high-risk strains of HPV).

-Torrie
Unread 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Lots of Questions!!!

Hi there...My surgery was Jan 3rd of 2005, vaginal, leaving ovaries..taking cervix. I was at first apprehensive about losing my cervix, but after havin cancerous cells found within it, I am happy it is gone. Also for myself, I was happy I didn't have the incision...have read too many people on here getting infected incision and having to "pack" them

As for my sex life.....it couldn't be any better...I had a high sex drive to begin with before the surgery (even with it being painful) and now it's even higher. But that is just me, have read on here others lose their sex drive, but everyone is different. And orgasms as far as I am concerned are better because there isn't any pain with them.

My husband hasnt mentioned anything about the vaginal cuff feeling any different.

As I said earlier, I had the vaginal surgery.....I had my surgery at 8am on a Monday and I was home by 3:30pm on Tuesday.

I know I was a bundle of nerves for the few wks before surgery...even blowing up at my assistant manager...but the wk right before surgery, I had this strange calm come over me and knew that this would all be for the best for me, and it was...and STILL is even after a yr.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register