Large Swollen Tummy That Cramps And Causes Back Pain. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Swollen Tummy That Cramps And Causes Back Pain. Large Swollen Tummy That Cramps And Causes Back Pain.

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Large Swollen Tummy That Cramps And Causes Back Pain.

Heo sisters, I'm Vali. I'm 51, had my total hysto with ovaries removed in 82. I seem to hang out at the Hormone Jungle a lot. I saw this forum and realized it is a good place for me to be. I feel like a old broken down car losing parts as I roll down a bumpy road
Anyway,

I was not sure which forum to put this in. Hope this is the place.
I have a fairly large abdomen and my incision from my hysto is the bikini cut. Great deal of hang over. I have not always been large, but am now. Even after all these years I find my abdoman still swells and I cramp in lower abdomen. It causes back pain and pressure. I had surgery in April of 05 for a vaginal vault prolapse , some kind of uretheral surgery where they put mesh in(I think it was the sling surgery) , removal of a fibroid tumor at the apex of the vagina. The doc did it vaginally, b/c he said it would require less time and be an easier surgery.

Probably some of it is the general weight of my stomach . When I stand it causes back pain and pressure and cramping. I know there is a lot of adhesions b/c once they tried to do a exploratroy lap,and could not see anythig due to adhesions.(years ago)
I liken this probem to a woman with very large breasts. They cause her back to hurt. Well, my abdomen is large and when I stand, I cramp and swell and my back hurts.
Who should I consult for ths? my gyn just shurged it off and said maybe bladder and gave me a bladder spasms med. I have blader spasms , I know what they feell like and that is not the problem.
The surgeon who did my surgey mentioned above would not be a good person to go back to. Because i'm ill and disabled (legally) , he viewed me with disdain. I felt so belittled.
I'm going to see a new gyn the 19th. the doc who does my mamograms told me about her. she said she was good at listening.
I think I may need some kind of surgery, but am not sure where to start. Docs don't want to help. They see me as a train wreck, and just don't want to get involved.
suggestions would be appreciated.
Vali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Just an option, I think you might want to consult with a pain management doctor. I have a very similar situation to you and that's what i"m doing. basically he's treating the pain due to the swollen belly causing the back pain and adhesions until I can get surgery paid for by my ins. At least consult with one. They can help point you in the right direction and treat your pain when the GYNs keep blowing you off.
Hope this helps.
Christina
Unread 01-10-2006, 06:42 PM

s Vali

I'm sorry to hear of all of your problems. I know the "trainwreck" feeling. Been there, done that.

I too have the large belly and many of the same symptoms you do. Due to the fact that I'm in my second round of chemo, it all seems miniscule. However, once I'm done I'm going to have my Dr. check that out. Let me know if you find any answers, k? I'd be very interested in knowing.

Thanks

s to you for gentle healing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM

Hi Vali, my name is Renee and I feel what you are going through. I just found this site today and I feel it is going to help me. I also have a large tummy and was having lower back pain. I hurt my back at work last year, well my sciatia, and had to do therapy for a few months. I work weekends only and some during the weeks I am not as busy as others and my back gets out of wack and I do streching exercises and I use one of those big balls and roll my back out. You can find sites that tell you streaching exercises on the net. They have helped me so much as I am heavy and when I work weekends I am on my feet for 12 hours and it is very fast paced. I work in the OR at a hospital. I hope this has helped you some. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-14-2006, 08:22 PM

Vali,
Hi, I don't have any answers for you, only questions also. I have cramping too, like menstral cramps, it is so strange. Come to think of it my back hurts a lot too. I have not been back to the dr since I lost my job and insurance a year ago. As soon as I have ins. again, I am headed back to the dr. I know, I feel like I feel apart after the surgery. I never feel good any more. Very tired and depressed and stressed. I hope you will find a dr that can help you.
Karly
Unread 01-17-2006, 12:51 PM

Why are there so many of us with the same symptoms? its just not fair sometimes. I was a good size 16W pre-hysterectomy (had partial when I was 30) just turned 48 and am exercising, cutting back on foods and still only lost 3-4 lbs. I weighed 222 pre-surgery, 218 post surgery and within 3 mos gained up to 234. I had lost from 218 down to 200 in 2003 on weight watchers. ob/gyn put me on hormones jan. 04 and within 3 mos I had regained all of my weight loss I had maintained for a year. so...long story short. i could handle the weight gain, as long as I "feel" healthy. I DO NOT feel healthy because I have had abdominal pain almost every day probably 330 out of 352 a year. Its been 15 mos. and some days I feel like I did pre-surgery. I had cysts on both ovaries. She discovered a lot of adhesions and had to dig around to get the two ovaries and remove cysts. I wish I'd just not had the surgery. I wake up every day sore, feet hurt, knees just EVERYTHING! The only good thing that has happened the last 4 mos is that my gen practicioner diagnosed me with high blood press and the meds have cut my headaches...way back. Now, if I could jsut get rid of the pelvic pain/feels like inflamation and the only relief is Lortabs. I am allotted 30 per month. that is it.....i haven't found a pain mgmt. dr. in my city that has had any luck with female pelvic pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register