Dhea and ovaries question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dhea and ovaries question Dhea and ovaries question

Unread 01-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Dhea and ovaries question

Hi,

Does anyone out there know how much DHEA our ovaries used to produce per day? What about raising our DHEA-Sulfate levels by using pregnenalone and progesterone?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 10:19 PM
DHEA and DHEAS

Hi CreamQueen,

Here's an article that says women produce 6 – 8 mg/day of DHEA. 20% is from the ovaries, 50% from the adrenals and 30% comes from conversion of circulating DHEAS (sulfate) to DHEA.

The article also has a flowchart on androgen synthesis. It shows pregnenolone being converted to DHEA, and DHEA can be converted to DHEAS. (The flowchart doesn't show the DHEA <–--> DHEAS, but I've seen it in other articles.) So pregnenolone could increase both of them.

If you're interested in increasing DHEAS without taking supplements, there was a study in 1992 where adults who practiced transcendental meditation increased their levels of DHEAS significantly. I don't think the meditation has to be transcendental. It seems like any relaxing, de-stressing activity would work.
_________
Burger HG. Androgen production in women. Fertility and Sterility. 2002 Apr;77 Suppl 4:S3-5 [full text | reprint]
Reiss U. Natural Hormone Balance for Women. Pocket Books, New York, NY. 2001. Page 203.
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Dhea and ovaries question

That's good info, but I guess what I'm interested in is how much DHEA - Sulfate our ovaries produced, if any. That's what I'm supplementing with, but then again, I know my adrenals are fatigued.... so maybe this is helping them to heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
DHEA Sulfate

CreamQueen, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. Here's what the article said about DHEA sulfate:
DHEA sulfate is not produced by the ovaries, only the adrenals. It's produced at a rate of 3.5 to 20 mg daily during our reproductive years. Levels range from 1 to 4 mcg/ml (mcg = microgram or 1/1000 of a mg). Levels peak in the 20s and 30s followed by a steady decline with age. Levels do not change at menopause. DHEA sulfate deficiency can be seen with estrogen replacement, Addison's disease, hypopituitarism with adrenal involvement, corticosteroid therapy and chronic illness.
I hope that the DHEA sulfate helps with your adrenal fatigue, too. Please let us know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register