5 days post op, You need to know.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post op, You need to know.... 5 days post op, You need to know....

Unread 01-09-2006, 08:45 AM
5 days post op, You need to know....

Here are some essentials that got me through my hospital stay:
-cute slippers and cute socks (I got so many comments when I was walking around. It made me feel good 'cause I sure didn't look good!)
-manicured nails at least (everytime they checked blood pressure and heart rate, my hands looked good 'cause I sure didn't).
-make up (it made my family worry less seeing that I didn't look like death 3 days after surgery).
-loose sweats were more comfortable for me than a nightgown.
-hair clips and rubber bands (I guess I tricked a couple passer bys into thinking I was a visitor not a patient).
-healthy fiber rich snacks....'cause if you want to poop, don't count on hospital food.
*There will be pain and discomfort, but do as much as you can (inside and outside)to make you feel like the real you....you can trick yourself a bit.

**I have 5 days to recover so far and I feel good. I have not had to nap in the last 2 days, only take 1-600mg motrin and can walk down the street (about 10 houses). I think it really helps to be physically fit and eat as healthy as possible before going into this. I know things may get tougher for me, but I am a positive thinker and that seems to help (along with a helpful family). But boy was I scared before the surgery!

Just think, this hardship will test you and it will pass. You will be stonger and smarter because of it. Get ready 'cause there are more tests for us around the corner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 08:50 AM

My surgery is Feb 2nd. Maybe I should get some Valentine's day socks LOL

I had surgery a year and a half ago and putting on a little make up made me feel TONS better. Also, I took some "smell good" lotion and that was such a great "perk me up".

I can't wait until I don't need a nap everyday

Glad you're doing so well. You are an inspiration.
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:36 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions and the best wishes. Surgery 2 weeks from today so I really need them Take good care! Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 10:24 AM

I was really glad I took an eye cover mask and ear plugs to the hospital for those bright and noisy nights. The splurge on decadent lotion was worth it as it felt and smelt so good after using the industrial strength soap provided. I was very sensitive to smells post-anesthetic so was glad the lotion had a subtle fragrance. As far as the food, I switched to a 'cardiac' (low/no salt) diet and it was more palatable. I am also 5 days post-op and am surprised how 'un-sore' I feel. I also think my good health going in helped. Walking as soon as possible and as often as possible after- even though I didn't feel like it- has also likely contributed.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:44 AM

Glad to hear that you ladies are doing so well!!!! It inspires me!!!!
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:54 AM

Wow...I hope to feel as good as you ladies do at 5 days post-op. Some good pointers on the slippers, lotions and snacks. I'll have to use them. Thanks
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:56 AM

I read a previous post, can't remember who's it was, but what a great idea.......Pack a fanny pack to attach to your hospital bed with all the little essentials, so that they are right there with you!!! I found mine, and packed it over the weekend!!!!!
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:57 AM

I have artificial nails and was wondering if they would have to come off or not.
Unread 01-09-2006, 11:56 AM

I am 5 days post-op also. Although I feel blah today, my incision area and belly feels a lot better. I haven't been able to sleep really good because I have trouble getting comfy and I have a slight tickle in my throat so when I have to cough, I have to sit up on the edge of my bed and hug a pillow. I have only taken 1 percocet since I've been home and about two or three 600mg motrin.
I also agree that bringing "feel good" things to the hospital is a good idea. I had smelly lotion, a ravor (which I was able to use the second day) and makeup. Even the dr. said the first time he seen me after my surgery that I looked good.
Deana
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:04 PM

The nails were fine! My hands looked pretty while the rest of me look like.......poop!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register