Question about ultrasounds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about ultrasounds Question about ultrasounds

Unread 01-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Question about ultrasounds

Hi,
A newbie here with a question I am almost embarassed to post (I can't believe I didn't ask this before!). Brief history....I had a myomectomy in 1993 to remove rather large fibroids. They came back with a vengeance about 5 years ago, getting progressively worse. I've had 2 GP's tell me that and my new OB/GYN, but no one's done an ultrasound, the diagnosis has been only through manual exams and my description of symptoms. I had the ultrasound in 1993 prior to my first surgery.

I am 48, not having any more children, and have severe cramping, bleeding and now am in bed for a day or two each TOM. We tried BC pills, but they only made the symptoms worse. There is no question in my mind I want a total hysterectomy and OB and I went through all the pros and cons.

Has anyone had a TAH without an ultrasound first? It just dawned on me that one's not been done. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 10:36 AM

From what I know you can only diagnose fibroids with an ultrasound. My general physician first thought my large fibroid was my bladder. She said, "oh you can feel it because you are so thin" HA HA. Why not request an ultrasound and pencil in your TAH. All I know is that I wanted relief ASAP and did not want to wait any longer than I had to. There are a lot of band aid techniques doctors will try to use to help women with various problems, but to me a TAH was the best option. I am only 34. This is all coming from a person who once said, "I am not having a hysterectomy. I am going to only eat whole foods, no pesticides or outside hormones etc." Well it helped but was still not my normal self...now I feel from my TAH I am already on my way and it has only been 6 days since my surgery.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:51 AM

I am 35 and having a TAH on the 12th......I have endometriosis, and at this point, I feel this is my best option........Since I already have night sweats and hot flashes, I don't think it can get much worse, because I was affraid of hormone therapy.....but like I said, I don't think it can get that much worse, because at least I will be rid of the bleeding, cramping and discharge!!!! Best wishes to you!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 11:20 AM

Hi,

I agree with an ultrasound being a way to diagnosis fibroids. Also, it helps determine the size of the fibroids. I got two opinions on my fibroids and my 2nd Dr. ~did~ look at my ultrasound from my first Dr. but the ultrasound was only one month old. I also had another ultrasound done approx. one month before my surgery to get a final looky-loo.

In my opinion, it sounds strange for Drs to be using an almost 13-year old ultrasound. I could encourage you to ask your Dr. about having a current one done, just so your Dr. knows what to expect on your surgery date.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register