Large Fibroids - LSH/BSO Scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Large Fibroids - LSH/BSO Scheduled Large Fibroids - LSH/BSO Scheduled

Unread 01-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Large Fibroids - LSH/BSO Scheduled

My hysterectomy is scheduled for Jan. 20th. I have very large fibroids and my uterus is the size of a 20 week prgnancy. My doctor is planning to a LSH/BSO. I have been rreading that due to the size of my uterus, and the fact that I have had two previous C-sections, this is not a good option. Thoughts and/or experiences similiar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:06 PM

I had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit and I wanted the surgeons to have full view of what they were cutting into so I opted for a TAH. This type of surgery makes it easier for them to see what they are doing and hopefully less mistakes made!
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Hi JFrown2,

I had a LSH for large fibroids. From your post, it sounds like your Dr. is very skilled at doing a LSH if he recommended a LSH for a 20-week uterus. You might ask him what his ~conversion rate~ is. In some cases, Drs have to switch to an abdominal surgery instead of doing a lap, and your Dr. could probably tell you how often he does that.

Also, from what I understand of a laparoscopic hyst, the Dr. ~does~ get a good view of the surgery area. The surgery involves using a laparoscope camera that is inserted through the belly button. The camera projects images of the surgery onto a large t.v. monitor in the surgery room.

Best wishes.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 12:31 PM

I was supposed to have a LSH but I woke up with a bikini cut instead. I had agreed to an abdominal hyst as an option. Apparently, the more experienced surgeon, who was helping my surgeon, decided that my fibroids were such an ugly situation that it was better to take out the whole mess in one piece and let the lab have a look at it. I guess they were concerned about chopping up a cancer and spreading little bits around inside. Or else the lap thing would have taken too long and the OR was busy. Anyway, all I had was a totally fibroid mess, as this runs rampant in my family. My recovery was uneventful, and I am happy to be done with the monthly hemorrhage and tumor pressure.
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:23 PM

Hi,
I wish I could give you my experience about LSH/BSO after C-section, but I never had children. However I did have a LSH/BSO with very large fibroids and had been told that there was a 50% chance I would be waking up with a bikini cut.

However, the lupron shots I received prior shrunk my fibroids enough that I was pleasantly surprised to wake up in recovery with nurse telling me "you're going home". So I was able to leave the hospital only hours after surgery.

I'm very thankful to have found a doctor who was skilled in this procedure. It's a shame more doctor's aren't training for this procedure, but hopefully that is changing.
Good luck
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM

Thanks for your insight Ladies! I have my pre-op exam next week. I will definately ask my Dr. what his conversion rate is, and what would be factors in determining "the switch" during surgery. I just want to be prepared for all possibilities mentally!
Unread 01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Soon to have my LSH

I haven't met my surgeon yet. Meeting him Wednesday and surgery Friday. My gyn referred me to him, but said my fibroids/uterus may be too big to do this way - but its worth a try. (multiple fibroids/ large uterus / ovarian cyst- technicians stopped counting after a while!) Surgeon called me one evening (the same day dr. referred me), introduced himself, told me about what he thought and that I would be a good candidate. Gave me his email address to ask any questions I may have. We scheduled next morning.
Its good to hear other talk positively about procedure!
thank you!
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:40 AM

njdb44,
just wondering if everything went well....did your dr have to switch surgeries or did he do it the way he wanted to??
Unread 01-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Follow up from recent LSH

Surgery went off well! Almost had to open me up for abdominal Hyst. Fibroids were attached to intestines at different places and others were impinging on bladder. He said I would be very sore -- and I am quite bruised & sore. But getting better. Just get very tired and can't sit in regular chair for too long, so I am not back to work yet.
Very glad I had the surgery. I feel so much better not having the fibroids sticking out of my tummy area. No complications yet - no bleeding, incisions healing well,...
Thanks for asking. Hope everyone else turns out the same.
Unread 01-17-2006, 11:12 PM

I also had fibroids the size of yours, but my gyno wouldn't do the surgery until he shrunk them. I was on Lupron for 3 months prior to surgery. He said it was very dangerous otherwise. My fibroids were positioned against my bladder and intestines. I would question the procedure just to be safe.
Hope this helps some!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register