Any one else on LUPRON prior to surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any one else on LUPRON prior to surgery? Any one else on LUPRON prior to surgery?

Unread 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Any one else on LUPRON prior to surgery?

After battling excessive bleeding and fibroids for 10 years, and exploring every alternative available, my doc has finally talked me into a hysterectomy. I am severely anemic and now on prescription iron pills so she can't do the surgery until my blood builds back up. She is confident it can be done laparoscopically but to make sure I will get a Lupron shot tomorrow. I have read the horror stories about it, and mine will be a 3-month dose all at once, so if I have a bad reaction I will have to wait it out. I have made up my mind that this will be a positive experience and will check back in here no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2006, 10:53 AM

Hi Wickdnice,

Yeah...sounds like lupron side effects. And, add to it the stress of having a hyst. There is a lot on your plate right now.

I had two large fibroids and went on lupron for (3) months. For me, lupron was a success. My fibroids did shrink enough so I was a candidate for a a LSH, a less invasive hyst.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 01-21-2006, 08:49 AM

Lupron update - I went yesterday for my shot armed with a couple of questions for my gyn - THE BEST GYN IN THE WORLD. I asked specifically about add back patches and she said wait until the shot has kicked in and I said "So it's OK for me to call you from the psyche ward, right?" She laughed and pulled up my history and reminded me that I actually had Lupron in the spring of 97 when I had my first bout of fibroids! And once I remembered that I remembered that I had a couple of hot flashes and minor night sweats but otherwise I was fine and dandy. So I feel much better now and only hope this shot kicks in FAST. Also found out my uterus is 16 weeks!!! I've been working out religiously and haven't been able to understand why my hips and waistline and thighs and arms are getting smaller and yet my tummy is still swollen - now I know!

I still have no surgery date - she will wait until I am safely recovered from the anemia but anticipates 2-3 months and now I also know it will be a LAVH. At this point I really just can't wait to have it done and over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 08:27 PM

I had 5 Lupron shots prior to my hyst. They were a last ditch effort to avoid a hyst. The Dr. wasn't sure they would work for me and they didn't. He felt bad that he had suggested them as I got very moody and gained some weight. I went on xanax to help with the moods ( they were horrible) because he didn't think the add back would help at all. I would do it again but it was yucky for quite a while. I feel so much better now!!! The website for it has tons of info and the nurse hotline was fantastic! My nurse was very helpfull and sweet.
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:55 AM

I've taken lupron for endo when it first came out on the market. I had horrible side effects. Migranes, mood swings, forgetfulness. I use the depo provera b/c shot now instead. I'm using that until I get my hysterectomy. I don't get many side effects from that. I just get hot flashes now and then.

Sharon
Unread 01-22-2006, 01:52 PM

I'm now 6 months post my abdominal hysto (with many complications). I had 3 months of Lupron shots and did fine with no side effects except for being extra tired for the first 2 week after the shots. Even with the shots, they didn't shrink the fibroids enough, but without them my surgery would have been twice as long and more difficult than it was.

I'm apparently fortunate that I had a great Gyn and he was right on target. Have a family member who also had to take the Lupron shots and she had alot of hot flashs and night sweats. It must depend on the individual and maybe the age?

Not sure -- hang in there. After 6 months I'm starting to see the light and the end of the tunnel. I'm still not 100% with fatigue my biggest complaint. Just remember a sense of humor goes along way!!!
Unread 01-23-2006, 08:42 AM

Hi Wickdnice,
I was on Lupron for 2 months prioir to my hyster...which was last Wed. This is my first time on line since home from the castle. I was on Lupron to shrink my 4 very large fibroids and to perhaps be eligible for a horizontal incision for my surgery rather than a vertical one. The lupron did shrink the fibrids and I could physically tell they were smaller but..not small enough. I have a vertical incision from 'stem to stern' and I go today to get the staples out. I am gald that I did go on the lupron even though I had many symptoms of menopause..hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness and some cramping as my surgeon did said it made a difficult surgery a bit easier. Every time I had a sympton I thought of is as the drug attacking my fibroids. LOL Your doctor seems insensitive and as many posters have mentioned, we all have different side effects but mood swings seems to be a common one. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register