What is/was the worst thing . .. - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is/was the worst thing . .. What is/was the worst thing . ..

Unread 01-10-2006, 11:50 AM
What is/was the worst thing . ..

LOL.....I used to ask mt DH to please just knock me out with a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Hi Ladies, Well here is my list
1. Pain
2. Lots of heavy bleeding
3. Never knowing when Martha Monthly was going to show up
4.Pain
5. Headaches
6.Backaches
7. Swollen tummy
8.buying tampons 2 or 3 times a week
9.yuk...discharge between Miss Martha
10.Being afraid to wear white
Unread 01-10-2006, 01:05 PM

I guess the ultimate worse thing for me was bleeding for 2-4 months at a time and doctors patting me on the hand and saying your'e fat so you have heavy periods, take some iron, bye. And the more periods in a year, the more pain. Spending the summer beach vacation I planned with all my family, at the rental house. Couldn't go anywhere because no idea what my body was doing. But 2 more days and it's all gone.

Rebecca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 02:09 PM

I will have one more period before my surgery and I am also wondering what it will be like.

I have a very similar list to others that have posted, but here goes:

1. Severe pain that you never know when it's going to hit during that week and not being able to go out with the kids for fear of it.

2. Heavy bleeding that also caused fear of going out, accidents, messed up sheets and furniture. Forget about wearing white! (Looking forward to not sleeping on folded up towels!)

3. Being anemic and exhausted for the week before through the week after my period.

4. Taking so much ibuprofen that it makes me sick and probably causes liver damage.

5. Missing work when I worked outside my home, not having patience with my family.

6. Totally no interest in sex because I just don't want anything or anyone around that area.

7. Giving "birth" to clots in the shower and trying to get out of the shower without messing up the bathroom!

8. Bleeding for almost 2 weeks out of every month.

I could probably think of more, but that is the worst. Now that I went through that, I'm feeling better already about my upcoming surgery! Thanks!

Ursula
Unread 01-10-2006, 02:22 PM

You know, I am also more worried about my last period before surgery than the surgery itself. Kind of like Aunt Flo is just waiting to get her vengeance in. At 58 years with no end in sight, I've been waiting for it to be over for the last 10 years. Finally, my doctor and I both agreed, enough is enough. I was fortunate not to have pain, but the awful bleeding has disrupted my life to the point where I have turned down job offers and canceled trips too many times, not to mention the sudden trips home from work that you can't explain to your boss, who is a man. The worst time was when I graduated from college this past May, and of course it was the worst day of my period. Had to get thru 3 hours, dreaded standing up, and had so many reinforcements I could hardly waddle down the aisle. I have a mental image of those fibroids as some grotesque monsters twisting and distorting my body - great body image, huh? Two more weeks and it will all be history. I can't imagine living my life without having to plan everything around the bleeding. I feel like I will finally be able to begin living.
Unread 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM

Extreme pain, headaches, moodiness, weight gain, carrying my own extra set of clothes in the kids diaper bag for those just in case moments, time off work,all those times being told it was all in my head/there is nothing wrong with you/this is normal!
So glad to have it gone away!!!!
Unread 01-12-2006, 04:01 PM

Jiller, Nothing like a horrible, painful period to get you ready for a hysterectomy! My second to last period was a nightmare and sealed the deal for me. Surgery couldn't come soon enough. My last period which ended a day before surgery was oddly the easiest period I recall ever having. My body must've decided to give me a break. ha ha ha!

Good luck to you next week. Remember, that you may think you're feeling better than you really are while on pain meds. Lay low anyway. The first 3 weeks are tough with many ups and downs. It caught me by surprise.

I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 01-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Cyclist42,
Thanks for your reply! Mother Nature has eased up a bit the past couple of days, just some intermittent spotting now, the cramps aren't nearly as bad today as they were.
Went for my pre-op testing this afternoon. 3 more work days.... ... now I just need to sit back and wait.
I hear what you are saying about the 3 weeks. A gal I work with (she is my back up while I am on medical leave) just got back on the 9th - 3 weeks after having her TVH (which is why I had to wait to schedule mine). She came in to my office yesterday telling me to take what time off I can and that she has been having a difficult time being at work this week. Her normal job is data entry sitting in front of a computer. My job is running the medical records department with lots of lifting, bending, stooping, standing, etc... if she is having difficulty coming back after 3 weeks trying to do her job, what will it be like for me when I return. I will just have to do what I am told to do while I am home and see how it goes
Thank you for the well wishes!
Jill
Unread 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM

for me it would be the back cramps that keep me from walking, never knowing when the cycle is coming or going, the emotional strain, exhaustion, having to deal with my hubby through it.
Unread 01-12-2006, 06:59 PM

Jiller, everyone heals differently but I sure would hesitate at returning at 3 weeks. I'm 3 weeks and 2 days. I'm still on leave but yesterday went to a job interview sooner than I wanted but that was the deal. I got up at 8:30, basically worked on the PC to prepare, had my daughter drive me there and back and by the time we rewarded ourselves with a latte at about 3:30, I was exhausted! All I really did was sit but I was using my brain which wasn't functioning at full capacity so it was a strain. And, the caffiene didn't work. 2 hours later at dinner I could hardly sit up I was so tired. Not to mention the difficulty I had tracking during the interview. I did my best and was proud that I rallied and went but certainly wasn't anywhere near 100%. Then, last night I couldn't sleep. Finally, at 5:00 a.m. I slepted off and on until 9:00 a.m.

Well, there's my 3 week post-op story. Maybe it'll be better for you. I was originally thinking of going back at 4 weeks, now I'm leaning towards 5 weeks. Hopefully the teary tendency will subside too.

Is your doctor setting your leave as 3 weeks? Will it be hard to extend it? I imagine you'll be restricted on your lifting. I know we've been in the same threads before (the road cycling thread?) but I can't remember what type of hyst you're having. I had a vaginal, so no abdominal incision to contend with, and I still have my ovaries.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register