Help...keep ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help...keep ovaries? Help...keep ovaries?

Unread 01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

I'm scheduled for LAVH on the 25th and had planned on keeping my ovaries. There is nothing wrong with them that I know of and at 39 yo I thought it wise to keep them. The past two months I have had a menstrual migraine about 5 days before my period lasting for 3-4 days. They are absolutely miserable...tylenol and ibuprofen took the edge off but that is it. I am not big on taking pain meds and am now wondering if I should consider having my ovaries removed. However, that may just leave me with a new set of hormone (lack of) problems. I am wondering about call my doc. but I like to be in the "know" and have a good idea about what I want to do before I call. Would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

Hi, I'm a believer in the old saying "if it isn't broken, why fix it". If your ovaries aren't causing you any problems, I'd think long and hard before deciding to remove them. A talk with your dr about it sounds like a good idea.
I was 54 at the time of my hyst and didn't have a choice about my ovaries, with precancerous tumors - they had to go. I had been menopausal for 3 years and still went into a pretty unpleasant "surgical menopause". Hrt is helping but natural hormones from one's own ovaries are still the best. Please discuss it with your dr and together make the decision that is best for YOU.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 01-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

If I could have, I would have kept both my ovaries.

I had LAVH on the 6th. I really think if I didn't have my right ovary/tube removed I would have almost no surgery pain at all right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

KEEP THEM!!! I can not stress this enough. I had a TAH/BSO and two and a half years later still have hot flashes, insomnia and no sex drive. I would take a migrane over this anyday. I also seem to get more headaches since I forced my body into pre-mature menopause. There is nothing fun about this, and HRT is not going to replace nature. If your ovaries were full of cysts or endo that would be another story. But please, keep them if they are healthy. Believe me, I know.
Unread 01-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

Thank you, Thank you ladies! This is what I needed to hear....first hand information. YOu made my mind up....yes a migraine might very well be a lot better option than the other hormone problems. Giving thanks for this site and for all the helpful, caring women. YOu all are the sisters I never had!
Unread 01-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

Hi String Bean
As far as over the counter pains meds for migraines I have found Excedrine Migraine to be wonderful, be aware that it does have caffeine in it though. As long as caffeine is not an issue for you I would suggest giving it a try.

Deb
Unread 01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Help...keep ovaries?

I have my left ovary, however it doesn't work anymore. Everything else is gone. I have hot flashes but a great sex drive.Im not on any hormones, " my choice' . I would have had the left one out but it was stuck to me.
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Help...keep ovaries?

I am reading all of this with great interest. I am 47 and started getting migraines two days before my periods around 4-5 years ago. Nothing helped them. The one good things is that in the last 2 years, my periods have become less frequent...I had just 4 in 2005! Last week my ob/gyn ordered a pelvic ultra sound as my tummy has the look of a 4 month pregnancy. Her NURSE called to let me know they found uterine fibroids and said the doctor would call me and talk my options over. That was a week ago and I haven't heard a word...which is why I start with a new ob/gyn next week!
Here is the thing...if a hyst is what she suggests...is it worth it?? I have to say, I am 82 days between cycles right now, and the only real symptom I am having is a general puffy feeling. Breast swelling and tenderness. I have this on and off most of the time. Oh...and the tummy swelling. If I was talking to you on a day with one of my headaches, I would probably be trying to check into the hospital! The other thing I have to avoid is alcohol! I want this to sound okay, as I am just an occasional social drinker. In the summer, though, we love to have people over and sit on the deck and enjoy a cold beer. Well, not WE anymore! I avoid beer like the plaque! I can almost guarantee I will have a headache if I have even one even if isn't around the time of my period. I know this sounds trivial to some, but it is something fun all of our friends enjoy and I always did too. I have also been told that if I would have a hyst, I should take my ovaries also as the migraines will not stop with them in place. I am SO confused!! This is a huge step. One thing is for sure, after reading posts on this site, the results are as varied as we all are! I have conducted my own "research" among people in my town who have had a hyst. I have found nearly EVERYONE says it is like a new life and they would definately do it again.
Please allow me to just put this out there too...I have never had to worry about or work on my weight. In the last 4-5 years, I have put on more than I cared to and cannot touch it! I work out, eat right and stay the same. Most would say I have nothing to worry about, but it bothers me. Today I feel just swollen, if that makes sense. My bra straps are digging into my shoulders and I just feel uncomfortable. I hope this sounds important to you as it is to me. It is just one more thing I am going through with all of this!
I appreciate any thoughts or advise.
Take care everyone,
Tammy
tjriowa
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Help...keep ovaries?

Hey Tammy,

This is a great place to get information, but I think you should talk with your new doctor. We all have different situations and cancer risks. I had 3 different "second opinions" and for me they all agreed that a total hysterectomy was for me. One of the deciding factors was when one of the gyn/surgeons said that in my case and history, leaving the ovaries would put me at risk for cancer; she said that by the time they detect ovarian cancer it can be too late -words you never want to hear. She and all of the other doctors were patient with my questions about HRT and for me it is the right decision.

Good Luck in your quest for what's right for you - but please find a doctor you can trust and work from that angle.

Peace
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Help...keep ovaries?

I used to work for neurologists and am a migraine (hormone-related) sufferer as well. Still friends with everyone in the office - my aunt has been their office manager for 25 years.

One of the first things they recommened to new patients was to keep a headache diary - including sleep pattern; everything you eat & drink; if you smoke, how much and at what times; any meds, herbs, vitamins, etc. There are so many things that can trigger migraines - the main ones always seemed to come down to sleep, food and hormones.

Excedrin works great for me, too - especially if I take it as soon as I get the "aura" of the migraine coming on. Just don't ever pay more for Excedrin "Migraine" (or any of the other OTC's that put "migraine" on their label). The Novartis rep told us the active ingredients are exactly the same as extra-strength Excedrin (check the labels - I haven't lately and doubt its changed, but was told that over a year ago).

In my case - my migraines stopped temporarily after I had my left ovary removed last year. They came back, every other month - about 6 months after surgery. I may lose the right during my surgery tomorrow - but my surgeon says he will do everything he can to remove the cyst and save the ovary. He said the ovaries release hormones that are critical to your heart health as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register