Laproscopic Hyst??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laproscopic Hyst??? Laproscopic Hyst???

Unread 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Hi,
MY doctor is talking about possibly doing a laproscopic hyst.
I think he's nuts for this and am fully ready for the tah. I had a myomectomy in the past and I know I'm adhesion plentyful.
Would like to hear from sisters who have had the laproscopic hyst.
Thanks,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Hi HelenAli,

I had a LSH, a ~sister~ lap surgery to the LAVH, which you have filled in on your profile.

I had a LSH for fibroids and being over 18 months post-op, I am still very pleased with my surgery results. In my opinion, laparoscopic hyst surgery if ~cutting edge~. It is just important to be a good candidate.

The surgery involves a laparoscope camera being inserted through the belly button and images are projected on to a T.V. monitor in the surgery room, thus allowing the lap Dr. a very good view of the surgery. With a LAVH, there is vaginal work. A plus side to a lap hyst is the post-op recovery can generally be shorter than an abdominal surgery.

You might ask your Dr. if there is a chance of a ~conversion~ if he decides to proceed with a LAVH. Generally, a Dr. can tell you how often he has to switch from a lap hyst to an abdominal hyst.

As far as adhesions, it sounds like your Dr. knows your case history and still wants to proceed with a less invasive hyst.

If you do not feel comfortable with the choice, I can suggest you get a 2nd opinion. In my opinion, a Hyster Sisters has to be comfortable with their type of surgery. At any given time, you will find several LAVH ladies on Hyster Sisters and they can help you with any specific questions about the hyst.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

I had the LAVH, and the only problem I found with it is that my brain didn't except the fact that I had surgery since there were no external stitches. But for myself, I find that a plus not having the abdominal incision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Actually by being "adhesion plentiful", a laparoscopic hyst will be best. During a laparoscopic hyst, a harmless gas will be put into your abdomen. The gas expands the space around your pelvic organs so that your doctor has enough room to look at and move them. It will also allow him to see any and all adhesions you may have.

Besides, why would you want one large incision when you can have 3 or 4 very small ones (that can be covered with a spot bandage)?

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 01-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

I had LAVH- it is great not having all the external problems but you do have to remember to still be so careful of the inside. I would recommend it if offered.
Good luck
Unread 01-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

I just had a LSH two weeks ago and am very happy with it. The incisions are very small. I am just 2 weeks post op and I can barley see where the incisions were made. Also, with the LSH I had no discharge and very little pain after surgery,(was sleeping on tummy by night 2). I do still have some pain on the insides, but it is not bad, the worst is the gas pains and just being tired. If you are leaving your ovaries, make sure to ask your Dr. to cauterize the cervix so you will not have mini periods.
With the Dr’s permission, I am already out walking about a mile and ˝ a day now and hope to back to 4 miles within a week(although I am walking slower than normal), and hopefully I will be back to jogging in another 2 weeks.
Here is a link to a page about LSH you might find helpful. http://www.goodgyn.com/lsh.html
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

thanks Ladies for your info.
I'm confused as he had told me recently that I can't have a vaginial hyst..which for a while he said I maybe could.
So I was thinking since he said last week that he would do a laproscopic hyst that it would all come out through the tiny holes??
I don't know what a LSH is but my cervix is definetly going bye bye so not worrying about mini periods.
Am going for second opinion on friday.
Is it possible to have your entire hyst through that tiny laproscope?
Oh and my gyn is an expert laproscope guy.
Thanks again all for sharing
Helen
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

PS- Same doc did my myomectomy so I'm already slice hip to hip...horrible looking thing.
I do know that laproscopic recovery is easier but have heard that will sometimes leave you with major adhesion problems.
I only have a few adhesion gripes after myo-very minor pain from them on occasion. Helen
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

My doctor explained it to me like this, lap surgery is the least invasive, recovery time is cut in half, less trauma. More and more doctors are learning how to do lap surgery. Many doctors refuse to learn so continue to slice. Unless you have a medical reason for being cut wide open abdominal hyst is just plain barbaric. Those were my doctors exact words, not mine.
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Thanks Ladies,
Still confused but I now know what a LSH is. My cervix has to go or I'd not be having any procedure...wish I could keep it, like it very much.
so is there any such thing as a hysterectomy done entirely with the laproscope that includes removal of cervix?
Many thanks, Helen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register