Laproscopic Hyst??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laproscopic Hyst??? Laproscopic Hyst???

Unread 01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Hi Helen,

That would be a LAVH (Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy). Removes the uterus and cervix. Ovaries optional.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Okay got it. Thank you Mary.

I can't have a vaginal according to my doc who want to use a laproscope on me. My uterus is too high up, backwards and whatnot.
really starting to wonder about my speciallist doc and beginnig to bug out a bit.
I have time as this is an elective procedure.
Helen- I'm so glad you ladies are sharing
Unread 01-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

I was set to have adominal but changed at the last minute to lavh but told me 70 % chance that it would end up abdominal but got got lavh way and what a difference it makes in recovery. I do was told that I form scar tissue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

I'm wondering: is there such a thing as just a vaginal hyst? Does anyone know why a dr. would choose to do a LAVH rather than just a ... LVH? Is that such a thing? If it was vaginal, then couldn't you avoid any cuts entirely? A friend asked me this today and I didn't know the answer. (Currently I am scheduled for a LAVH but may go TAH if necessary - did I get those abbrevs right??)
Casey
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Helen,

If you are having an LAVH, your cervix will be cut out and your organs will be removed through you vagina. Your gyn will be using the laparoscope to look around your abdomen to see if you have adhesions and any other problems. He will be able to correct any problems you might have during your surgery. If your gyn was performing just a vaginal hysterectomy, he would not have the aid of the laparoscope to look around. He might miss something and have to go back and perform more surgery at a later date.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Laproscopic Hyst???

As I understand it, it is possible to remove the cervix during a totally laparascopic procedure- then it would become a LTH (Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy), rather than an LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy).

Please think carefully about removing your cervix however. Most women (especially if the cervix is cauterized) DON'T have mini-periods. The cervix contains ligaments that attach to other organs and removing them is a concern for future pelvic and vagina support as well as for sex feeling the same as before. Removing the cervix should not be a "light" decision. You should definately get tested for high-risk strains of the virus HPV before making your decision, as these have been shown to cause over 90% of cervical cancer, and a vaccine has been developed for some of these strains, so if you do have HPV, then you'd lean towards removing the cervix, but if you don't, then you'd lean towards keeping the cervix since your risk of cervical cancer would be very, very low.

Please do more research on the issue before making your final decision. You can look at my previous posts- I've posted a lot on this issue; as I'm of the opinion that if the cervix is perfectly healthy, then removing it doesn't generally make sense unless you have the virus HPV.

-Torrie
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Helen has stated that her cervix "has" to go. As far as keeping it for future support, I don't really think it helps. My bladder "fell" twice with it. So far, I haven't missed mine.

Carol
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

Does A Lavh Always Mean There Is Removal Of The Cervix?
Unread 01-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

thanks again Ladies,
I have a bunch of new ?'s for my second opinion doc tomorrow.
He's great..easy to talk to.
I have to have my cervix removed because I have cin1. Believe me I'd keep it if I could and certainly hope in the future the docs discover a better way to treat dysplasia.
That tiny cervix is my only reason for needing a hyst.
Helen
Unread 01-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Laproscopic Hyst???

pednurse,
I believe any vaginal hyst requires removal of cervix.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register