New to Forum and Scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Forum and Scared! New to Forum and Scared!

Unread 01-11-2006, 07:11 AM
New to Forum and Scared!

Hi Ladies,

I have been reading forum for some time but just joined today. I'm scheduled for a TAH on 1/20/06 (pre-op on Fri., 1/13/06). My biggest fear is that I've been caring for my mom who has terminal kidney cancer. I have postponed surgery for about 2 years mainly due to the situation. I have a uterus that is 700 cm - 900 cm in size (fibroids, endo, and a chocolate cyst on left ovary). I'm 43 years old and had a miscarriage in 2002 (only pregnancy)and always wanted children but have come to conculsion it is not meant to be. I had been on depo-provera injections (due to constant bleeding)for almost a year but the fibroids apparently really liked it and grew even more; I then went on Lupron in October (4 mos.) which did shrink my uterus to about 750 cm (from 900 something cm) but my insurance won't pay for any more injections so I really have a small window of time for the surgery. I was told that the size of my uterus could possibly interfere with bladder and bowel functions; I also have swelling (mostly in my right leg) which they (gyno) indicated may also have something to do with the size of my uterus. Gyno also told me in Sept. 05 that the surgery is "dangerous" because of the size of my uterus and I needed to do something -- her words were "it has to come out". I guess I need some support from the ladies out there since I feel guilty that I won't be able to help my mom as I do now (I go to her home every night after work to help and 2x on weekends). I do have a wonderful husband but we have also found out that his father is critically ill (has Alzheimer's) and it does not look good. I want to be there for him. I would appreciate any advice and/or prayers. Thanks! sxi1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 07:17 AM
New to Forum and Scared!

my prayers and hugs go out to you and i hope that everything works out for you and your family.

((((((hugs))))))
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:31 AM
New to Forum and Scared!

I am sorry for the stress you are experiencing. Can your mom get any help from others until you have recovered? Any other siblings? Friends? There are also home health agencies who provide companionship, care, errands, cooking services, etc. Maybe this could be a temporary solution. You, personally, cannot help your father-in-law right now, so please don't feel guilt over this situation. As for you, please try to relax a little. Think about the positives of having the surgery--no more pain, no more awful periods, no more planning your life around your monthly cycles.

God only gives us as much as we can handle. It will all work out. Good luck with your surgery, you will be fine. The pre-op waiting was the hardest for me. I'm at 5 weeks LAVH-BSO, and feel great. Ready to go back to work and start an exercise program once I get the green light from my dr.

Remember......think positively!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 07:35 AM
New to Forum and Scared!

Dear sxi1,
's to you! Sounds like you have quite a bit of stress going on in your life right now. Since you asked for prayers, I'm assuming you are a Christian (sorry if this is a wrong assumption on my part.) If you are, trust in HIM! God will guide you and direct your path.

Here's my worth:
The more stress you're under, the worse you'll feel, then you really wouldn't be able to take care of your Mom or Father-in-law. It's best to go and get things done, and take care of you, so then you can be better to help take care of those you love. Yes, you'll most likely be down for a few weeks, but you'll feel so much better once it's done!

Are there any other family members who could come and help your Mom? If not, and you attend a church, you may want to ask your Pastor for any thoughts or suggestions.

I said a prayer for you.
Blessings! Sharon "hoosier_2005"

TAH & BSO with vertical incision at age 35 due to large Low malignancy potential cysts. The left cyst was said to be the size of a small basketball and weighed in at 3.5 pounds. Feeling much better. HRT Estradiol patch .05.
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM
New to Forum and Scared!

Best wishes to you and please take good care of yourself. Melanie
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:45 AM
New to Forum and Scared!

Thank you all -- I really need your support. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I am the only child. My family is basically my mom (76) and dad (81) and my hubby. My mom is on hospice and a nurse does come once a week -- I have asked for the nurse to possibly come 2x for a couple weeks since I check my mom's blood pressure, meds, etc. each night. My mom and I are extremely close (I did have a sister but she died when she was 10 1/2 yrs old of Mysthenia Gravis) -- my mom tries to do as much as she can for herself and really does not want "outside" help; she does want me to have this surgery but she's also very worried. I am a Christian and believe in the power of prayer -- my mom was given 6 mos. in Feb. 2004 and by the power of prayer is still with us. I just don't want to be the cause of something happening to her (through her worrying, etc.) during the surgery and recuperation. I know the cancer would be the "real" cause but I'm struggling with it nonetheless. I just hope that I can recuperate and be more of help. Again, I really appreciate your support -- as the days get closer, the more anxious I am.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register