Scared out of my mind | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared out of my mind Scared out of my mind

Unread 01-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Scared out of my mind

I just became a member today. I will be haveing my surgery on January 24 and I am soooo scared. I understand that this is something that needs to be done for health reason, but I feel like I am loosing a part of me. I wont be complete after its over. Any others that feel this way. I cant eat, sleep or even function right now with all the questions I have. I have a very low threshold for pain and that all so scares me. To make matters worse, I was told all along that it would be taken out vaginaly only to be informed today at my pre-op that I have a 10-12 week uterus and it might not fit, but they wont know until they go in. Is any ones else experiencing these fears and questions too. Help I could really use friends right now. Thanks Jilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Scared out of my mind

Hi Jilly,
I know how you feel and so does so many others on this site. My hysterectomy was abdominal so I don´t really know much about the vaginal procedure, but I can tell you that they will get it out while you are asleep and and you will not feel a thing during the surgery. I can also say that there is a light on the other side, and whatever the reason why you are having the surgery, no one will have it or doctors will do it without good reason. I will not say there will not be any hurting, but you are a young woman and I am sure you can manage just as I did. I am close to your own age and I do understand all the feelings you are going trough so please remember that your femininity and womanhood will still be there when you wake up.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

Hugs,
Sophie
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
health and freedom

Hi, I do know how you feel. My surgery was just this past Friday. I am home, feeling okay and responding to you. I had really heavy sporadic periods, in fact I had one the morning of the surgery. I walked into the operating room and bled on the floor! That cemented in my mind why I was there. I had a bikini cut similar to a c section, a huge uterus removed because of a huge fibroid. I had been losing blood, anemic, and afraid to go anywhere for fear that I would start to bleed there. My doctor said that it would not have gotten any better due to the size of the fibroid. I was up walking the following morning, going for my own water/juice in the hospital, took a shower, etc. It's okay, don't be scared. Your body will heal if you take care of it. I was excited because I walked out to the mailbox yesterday, little steps. I am off for 7 weeks, I teach so when I go back I'm on my feet all day in front of a room of 22 kids. Not an easy job. Good luck, you'll be fine, you're doing the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Scared out of my mind

Hi Jilly,Best wishes! I am one day ahead of you and I was just sending my dear friend of 20 some years (who happens to be a guy) that I am worried I'll feel differently or somehow be a different or less of a person afterwards so I know exactly what you are going through. His advice was your husband, family and friends will love you as much as they did with or without your uterus that doesn't change who you are. I think if you read some of the posts from others you will find that these feelings are completely normal and you are not alone. I hope this helps. Please feel free to write anytime and keep in touch! Hugs! Melanie
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Scared out of my mind

Hi!

I am about 13 days out from my surgery and was so nuts the two weeks leading up I made myself a bit sick. I just tried to stay busy, cleaned the house, drawers, floors better than I had in years! I had abdominal surgery because my uterus was too large to come out vaginally. I had two c-sections so they went in the same way again. I have to tell you that the sugery itself went to me so fast all I remembered was being given the sleepy meds and then in what felt like seconds later I was waking up. No pain either! It was heavenly! My suggestions for the best surgery is to ask for lidocaine with the IV, which makes that painless and easy, ask for anit-nausea meds as that makes everything better and don't get up too fast when you first get out of bed. It goes so quickly, you won't belive it actually happened! I don't feel empty either, I haven't even noticed my parts are gone.

Hope this helps! I would be happy to talk if you need any reassurance!

Stacy/doll doc tah bso hrt therapy, no path report yet.
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Scared out of my mind

Hi Jilly,

You said you could use some friends right now, so I am applying for the job I am scared too and thought since we have so much fear in common that we might use that as a basis to become fast friends.

After we get through our respective procedures...think of all the other things that we will have in common!

I am supposed to have a TVH on the 20th and like you am not sure what to expect. I've done all the reading and this is the best web site EVER but since I am in Germany and navigating this whole lovely process in a foreign language...I think they may be doing other repair stuff too...only they won't know until they take a look...at least I think that's what they said (lol)

If you are up and down, and scared and then okay for awhile and then scared again...I can assure you that you are not alone.

This site is really helping me, it makes me feel so much better to have sisters out there who know, who care, and who reach out.

Since we are in the same boat I just wanted you to know that.

Read on, there are some very wise, very wonderful women here...we'll discover them together, get through this, and then graduate to the women of wisdom category!

Many Hugs!
JElle
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Scared out of my mind

Hi Jilly,

My surgery is on the 19th, I will keep you posted as to my recovery. This site is wonderful, full of support. I went through exactly what you are going through, but I have found this site to be a great resource as well as an emotional outlet. I was so worried about losing my uterus too, and being less of a woman, but in the past few weeks I have come to realize that you will still be a woman, you just don't have to deal with the physical problems that you are dealing with now. Believe me I was a mess......They cancelled my surgery for this Friday, and then threatened to schedule it in February, I couldn't stand the thought of waiting until February, when I have been getting ready for this week for well, weeks. But they were able to schedule me for a week later, January 19. I was all over this site yesterday...."FREAKING OUT", and got so, so, much support, prayers, and information, that I have gotten through everything so far. I printed out the pre-op questions from this site and took them with me to pre-op visit. Doctor answered all questions......Just wanted to let you know, what you are feeling is normal....Post anytime you get a need for support we are all here for you....
Good Luck,

Mary
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Scared out of my mind

I cant tell you all how much reading your responces are helping me. Just knowing I am not alone and all the words of encouragement are wounderfull. I am so thankfull in this day and age, that we have the opportunities to chat with other going through the same things. Bless the internet and who ever created it... Thanks soooo much! Jilly
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Scared out of my mind

Jilly,

I am also scheduled for a TVH on 02/01/06. My doctor has told me that everything looks good and he is confident he can do vaginally. I trust my doctor, he answers my questions and takes the time I need to make me feel comfortable in the decision. This website is wonderful for support and information. Don't hesitate to ask your doctor questions, after all, it is your body and your health. Good luck, I am sure all will be well.
Unread 01-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Scared out of my mind

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on December 15. I have to admit that I did not feel as bad as I thought I would - the worst has been that I lost a good amount of blood during the surgery (doc said I was a bleeder) and because I'm a "youngster", they opted not to give me a transfusion. So, I'm a bit anemic and am recovering from that at the same time!

Before the surgery, I had questions and concerns I thought were weird - what would a total removal of my reproductive organs do to my skin? Would I start losing hair? Growing more hair? Would I look really old at 41? Would I no longer be attractive to my husband? And since I was losing my "womanly" parts, would I still be a woman when everything was said and done? I was really scared out of my mind and felt really awkward talking to my doctor or his staff about it - they were so busy being positive with me (of course things would go well and of course I'd be fine) that I didn't really expect they would give me less than positive answers if that was the truth. Iwish I'd found this community prior to my surgery.

I had to have my hysterectomy due to endometrial cancer - I know in the long run I'll be thrilled not to have those periods anymore (I swear, the last one I bled so hard it looked like a murder scene) but there is still some sadness... which I think is normal.

Good luck!!!!

CJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register