I have finally decided to do it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Smoke out!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have finally decided to do it I have finally decided to do it

Unread 01-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I have finally decided to do it

Well ladies I have finally decided to quit smoking. Friday is my quit day and I am determined to do it. My DH just quit on Monday and I figured if he can do it I can. I was planning after my hyster to do it, but I do not know what happened. I did not have a single smoke the whole 5 days I was in the hospital but as soon as hubby picked me up I wanted a smoke. But oh well that is passed now. I know that this site has given me wonderful support both pre and post op and hopefully you ladies will be able to pull through for me again. I have tried quitting numerous times with no success but for some reason this time I am feeling a little more at peace with my decision. Not saying that it will be easy but I am going to try. Thank you for letting me vent and I appreciate the support.
Jacqueline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2006, 12:29 PM

I know you can do it.......It will be 2 years in march i haven't smoked...I am Happy...and i smoked for 24 yr's ...Just stay busy and do it day by day...week by week...and keep telling your self NO MORE...I still at times crave them......but it's a fleeting thought..I started back sewing and quilting to stay busy..I was telling DD today I am soooooo glad i quit..she said Yes Mom and ME too..lol...Good Luck to you..U can do it....Beve
Unread 01-11-2006, 12:36 PM

Quitting smoking is a difficult thing to do. I've been a non-smoker for more than 11 years now after having smoked for 26 years. You want to quit and have decided to do something about it, so that's the first step. I quit through group hypnosis and here are some hints we were given.

If you are a coffee drinker, switch to decaf coffee. Don't do it all at once or you'll have caffeine withdrawal headaches, but gradually add decaf to your coffee when you brew it. You can also ask for 1/2 reg. and 1/2 decaf if you buy your coffee at a coffee shop.

Drink lots and lots of water.

DON'T take a drag on a cigarette EVER......not even 10 years from now. You'll end up smoking again. It's like an alcoholic who can't take a drink or will end up drinking again.

Drink more water.

If you think about a cigarette, immediately do something else. Pick up a newspaper, magazine or book, or turn on the TV. Anything to distract yourself.

We were shown pictures of the lungs of smokers. When you want a cigarette, picture in your mind what your lungs look like. Then picture them nice and pink as they will be after not smoking for ten years.

One thing that helped me was cutting a straw so that it was about the size of a cigarette. I would hold it between my fingers in the car when I was driving, and when I talked on the phone. I kept one in my pocket too, so that I could hold it and no one would see it.

It only takes a few weeks to rid yourself of the physical addiction. The psychological addiction takes longer.

By the third week I had no more "morning smoker's cough".

You will notice that your hair and your clothes smell so much better. Your house will smell better too. Did you ever look at the paper towels you washed your windows with? The color from the nicotine is on your windows and walls. The smell has probably gotten deep into your sofa and curtains. That will all disappear. Your food will taste better too.

I rarely get a cold now. I would get a cold at least 6 times a year and it would last for a long time. Now if I get a cold, it lasts only a few days, and I get no more than 1 or 2 a year.

I will be honest and say that there are still times when I feel like having a cigarette. But now I can push that thought right out of my mind and I don't dwell on it.

Please keep us posted. And remember this: If you do slide backwards and have a cigarette, don't think of yourself as a failure. Make up your mind that you WILL lick this addiction. It will be one of the most difficult things you've ever had to do, but you can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2006, 04:55 PM

Thank you ladies for all of your support. I am now on day 2 and not doing to badly. I appriciate those tips. My main triggers are the car and when I am on the phone.
I am lucky in one sense that we do not smoke in the house at all. So I do not have to worry about the house but it is everything else. I will have to remember to carry around a straw that is a good idea.
I am just going to take it one day at a time. I am on the patch and my husband is on day 6. So thank you again.
Jacqueline
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:09 AM

I have tried to quit so many times in the past few years and i can tell you that there is one site that helps alot....quitnet i think is the name of the site. just check it out on the search engine you use...it is an awesome site.
Unread 01-17-2006, 11:00 AM

Here' to you - hoping you're staying with it! I've got some great support sites if you want, let me know.
Unread 01-17-2006, 02:14 PM

Well I am now on day 5 and things are going not to badly. I have foggy moments and I know that those are the moments that I would have had a cig. But other then that I can not complain. This is definately the longest I have ever quit and I hope that it is for life. But again one day at a time. Disneyphan that would be great if you could let me know some of those sites.

Take care ladies and thank you again for your support. I will keep checking in and see how everyone is doing and let you all know how I am doing.

Jacqueline
Unread 01-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Hey Happywoman, I quit the day of my surgery (Jan 9th) after smoking for 18 years!!!! Maybe we can support each other. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! Everytime I feel like smoking a cig is usually now when kids are driving me nuts or something or someone gets under my skin. I just tell myself that I refuse to let someone or something help me kill myself and I won't smoke another cig. My mother has copd and cannot walk from her car to her front door without not being able to breathe. She is on full disability at 56. I want to be living up life at 56!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register