Is anyone still smoking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Smoke out!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is anyone still smoking? Is anyone still smoking?

Unread 01-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Is anyone still smoking?

I'm really embarrassed to admit it, but I'm still smoking after my surgery. I promised myself I'd quit before surgery, then after, then for New years, now it's after my mamogram tomorrow. It seems I keep finding excuses. It hasn't been easy quitting as I keep dwelling on everything I've been through the last 6 months. I know I have to quit & would like any suggestions...but please be understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Is anyone still smoking?

You'll be going through a lot more if you don't realize the burden you are putting on your system by continuing to smoke. You will quit when you finally believe that the bad things it does to you outweigh the good feeling you get from doing it. Sorry if I'm blunt but I think its just criminal what cigarette smoking does to our bodies and skin.
Unread 01-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Is anyone still smoking?

Hi Mori!
I didn't smoke for 4 days after my surgery,it didn't smell right. But, I did start again. I'm going to buy the patch for myself and see if that helps. If I went for 4 days without withdrawal or cravings I know I can do it. Good luck!
Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Is anyone still smoking?

I am in the same boat! I know I need to quit! I know what it does to my body, and skin. My biggest problem is I enjoy smoking! I hate that I do but, I do! I have a million reasons to quit, yet I have been unsuccessful. Other than smoking I take really good care of myself. I eat right, take supplements, workout , do yoga, mountain bike (not recently) and I climb. I believe we get out of life what we put into it mentally, physically, and spiritually, yet this is the one vice I have been unable to let go of. I have invested in some really good facial/ skin products but I know if I didn't smoke I probably wouldnt need half of them.
I have been told "you'll do it when your ready" "you have to go cold turkey, tough it out" and have had several people reiterate how bad it is for you! (Do they think we don't know this?) My DR will ask me everytime I go in, "still smoking?" then reply geez I think I read somewhere that wasn't good for you!
I am sorry your feeling this way! I wish I had a better awnser for you, but I guess all I can say is if I find a easy out I'll let you know, and if you do feel free to pm anytime. Till then keep on trying and know your not alone.
Unread 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Unhappy - Is anyone still smoking? Need willpower.

Thanks to all your replies. I am planning to go cold turkey & I just have to pick the day & summon the willpower... hopefully very soon!
Unread 01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Best of luck!

Best of luck to you all! I went in on Dec 27th for removal of adhesions and my right ovary. I'd already had my hyst. 6 yrs ago but I kept my right ovary. I knew I'd be facing having to use HRT. I didn't want to be smoking and using the HRT. I promised my daughters that when I went into the hospital I wouldn't smoke when I came out. I didn't tell anyone else (not even hubby) what I had planned on doing because I was afraid I'd fail. The only ones that knew where me and my daughters. They are 9 and 12. The night before I went in for my surgery I sat down and typed my hubby a email telling him what I was planning on doing and that I would need him to go through the house and get rid of anything that would remind me of smoking like ash trays, lighters, or even cigarettes before I came home. I was in the hospital for 2 days. When I came home I had 4 cigarettes in a pack in my purse. I didn't touch them. They were in there for 2 days after I had been home, still didn't touch them. Finally, I had my youngest daughter tear them up. I'm proud to say that today I've been smoke free for 16 days. It's really been alot easier than I thought it would be. I did it cold turkey. I'm not saying that I won't ever smoke again, I'm just saying I won't smoke today or tomorrow. Take it one day at a time. Don't look too far ahead, just take it step by step. I know that if I would start back, my girls would be so disappointed. That right there is what keeps me motivated. I also know that because of having to use hormones that it increases the risk of stroke. That keeps me motivated too. I also downloaded this tool called a QuitKeeper. It gives you your stats as in how many days, hours, mins, and secs since you've been smoke free. It also shows how much money you have saved and how long you have added to your life. It really puts things into perspective. Here's a link to dl it if you like. Best of luck to you!!!

Becky

http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/download.htm

Here are my stats....
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 24 seconds (16 days). I have saved $110.44 by not smoking 821 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 20 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 12/27/2005 6:00 AM
Unread 01-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Is anyone still smoking?

I gave up the butts on July 27, 2004 and it wasn't easy, but it didn't kill me. It's a really tough thing to do but it does get easier with time. Stock up on chewing gum, carrots, and other raw veggies to munch on. Get involved with hobbies that will keep your hands busy - knitting, cross stitching. Buy puzzle books. I smoked a pack+ a day for 28 years. If I can quit, you can!
Unread 01-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Red face - Is anyone still smoking? Thanks for tips

Thanks for the tips ladies, I need all the help & support I can get becaUse I really have to quit.
Unread 01-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Is anyone still smoking?

I have an appointment on the 21st to get that laser treatment that is supposedly successful in helping you quit with no withdrawals!! I will let you know how it goes!! I have been saving up and have the money now. I am so ready becuz I am smoking more now than ever. Good luck to you guys as well!!!
Unread 01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Unhappy - Is anyone still smoking? Let me know

Let me know how it goes because I am still smoking & I'm scared of what I'm doing to my health at this point. I'm so crazy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register