2+years post op and more than fed-up, does the nightmare end?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2+years post op and more than fed-up, does the nightmare end?? 2+years post op and more than fed-up, does the nightmare end??

Unread 01-12-2006, 06:22 AM
2+years post op and more than fed-up, does the nightmare end??

Hi ladies, basically I am just over 2 years post hyster, and still going through the proverbial crap. My GP said I have adhesions which are vasculerized that have attached themselves to my bowel. Hello to the land of constipation and then some. I am doing bowel preps just to pass 'any type ' of stool matter. With three small children who are currently enjoying Summer holidays, it is a living nightmare I can assure you.

To top all of this off, I officially found out yesterday that I have some degree of vaginal vault prolapse, I don't know what stage it is at yet, but I faxed off my referral to the Gyn Department ( local hospital ) today. I still have granulation tissue also ( which I was just hoping that's where the blood was coming from ).

I am mad, sad, angry, depressed, you name it. You see I am thinking this wouldn't of happened had they of done my hyster abdominally. I feel ripped off to the max. The reason for my hyster was the bleeding ( which I'd be transfused for almost fortnightly ) it got to the stage that I would only have a few days off in between the flooding.

I also had adenomyosis, endo. Prior to the hyster they done endometrial ablation,uterine fibroid embolisation, and countless laps and D&C's. During the last emergency D&C they perforated the uterine wall. We also tried every imaginable hormone pill, Mirena IUD ( which my body expelled naturally ) Oh I could just go on and on, I think a Doctor has felt my vagina more time than my DP.

They removed a 27cm fibroid ( intra-mural, and all the other ones were in and out of the uterus ) the uterus was the size of a 5mth pregnancy. So they told me they had to cut it up inside of me before removing sections out of the vagina. They also gave me quite a nice episiotomy during the hyster.

I then was opened up 2 days after the hyster due to bleeding that wouldn't stop after they took the 'packing' out. So I got the full works down below, as well as a sore tummy to boot. They left the ovaries in at that stage, but I needed them out the following year, due to endo that had gone stupid and I had funky cells at a vaginal vault smear.

Well I am afraid it has all gone down hill since. In a way I regret having my surgery, somedays I'd much rather have died in a pool of my own blood.

I am just clutching straws here, basically I want to ask anyone who has gone through this, how bad is it. I am so constipated now, I can't imagine being like this after yet more surgery. More to the point, I can't handle it all emotionally. I have had it.

Do you think they will fix the adhesions at the same time they fix the prolapse???

I am also under the care of a Gastro Dr, I see him next week as I'm booked in for a colonoscopy to rule out anything sinister.

Sorry for the long post,
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Jen,
Hugs to you - wow what an experience. I hope they don't find anything 'sinister' when they go in for the colonoscopy.
I hope they can fix the adhesions and vaginal vault prolapse by lap - instead of by abdominal incision. I too have problems going #2 - my colorectal doctor told me to do warm water enemas to 'help' myself go.
I also talk stool sofeners twice a day and eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water. I seem consumed with going to the bathroom - I just can't seem to finish going - so I go 3 to 6 times a day. My bladder is giving me fits too - I am on my 3rd medication so far and still going around 30 times a day - I can't even make it to the store with out having to seek out the bathroom.
Don't give up - there has to be an end to your problems - get lots of opinions. Good Luck!
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:20 PM

Along with stool softerners take 2 heaping teaspoons of Metumicial ( one in a.m. and one at night) and eat 5 dried prunes at night. Believe me this will work!! Lots of water and a very high fiber diet. I also eat a cup of Fiber One at night ( 28 grams of fiber)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2006, 06:18 AM

i know how you feel it too had endo,andomyosis , fibroids,cysts... and had a cyctocele and grade 3 rectocele and had my hyst done vag... i think that the "old fashioned" way is better...try to hang in there and as far as the prolaps..drink ALOT of water that seems to keep everything moving..since my repair surgery i drink 6-8 8oz. bottles of water a day,don't need anything else to keep those bm's working better! plus walking is a cure all!!!
Unread 01-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Don't know if they have this where you are, but the best thing I've found to get those bowels moving is Magnesium Citrate. If you haven't had a bm in a while, you will probably have to drink at least half of the bottle. Otherwise, a tbsp or two is usually enough per day to help. I've also started taking coconut oil (from a GNC or health food store) 3 tbsp. per day. I am able to have several bms now, but after my last surgery for prolapse I couldn't go for almost a week. That was the worse pain I ever had. I wish you lots of luck!
Unread 01-24-2006, 02:46 PM

When I saw the colon Dr. she told me to take 1 stool
softner and 1 metamucil in the a.m. then 2 meticucil
at lunch, then 2 metimucil and another stool softner
in the p.m. that seems to keep me regular, and of
course a half gallon of water. But I can't seem to
digest red meat and it always stalls out everything no
matter what I do, so I try to stay away from that, a hamburger is my worst enemy. I try to
get plenty of fiber in general. This constipation
thing seems to be a woman thing, my husband goes
several times a day no matter what he eats.
Unread 01-25-2006, 12:10 PM

I had a TAH in May 2004 for severe anemia. I had adeno and fibroids too. I became constipated and strained right away.I tried alot of OTC stuff and drank tons of water.I saw a Gastro dr. who put me on Miralax and metamucil and colace. I was still constipated. I had a colonoscopy which showed nothing.My next move was to a colon rectal surgeon. I had all kinds of tests. I had a defecogram, which showed a large rectocele and enterocele.I thought this was the cause. I had a rectocele/enterocele surgery in Jan 2005.I still was constipated. In Sept 2005 I had to have a cystocele and tvt surgery. The uro/gyn put me on Enulose syrup on top of the miralax and colace. That stuff was great. I had a bm every day afterwards.
It ended up my nerves being compressed in several areas in my back was the cause of the constipation and bowel problems. After the Lumbar surgery and decompression in Oct. 2005 I have no problems and don't have to use anything to go.
Ask your dr about enulose and Miralax. They are both good products. Please don't strain or it will make your prolapses worst. It did mine.
Good luck!!
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register