Questions on Recovery Time for Lap. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions on Recovery Time for Lap. Questions on Recovery Time for Lap.

Unread 01-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Questions on Recovery Time for Lap.

Hi all,

I was wondering if this is normal, or if anyone has any experience to share that would help me.

I had my left ovary & tube removed along with the removal of adhesions on my bladder, stomach, and other places on Friday (1/13). I had the procedure done via laproscopy. I woke up from surgery in a LOT of pain and the pain has not let up very much. The dr gave me percoset for pain and I have been taking it as proscribed, but shouldn't I feel better by now? It has been 48hrs since my surgery and they told me that I should be feeling better by today.
This is my 6th surgery, and I have never had any problems after any of them (incuding my hyst), but this one is the worst. I have this aweful neck & shoulder pain, a very bad headache, and my belly is swollen and painful.
I do not have a fever or any of the symtoms of an infection, so I do not know what to do.
It is a little better today (as compared to yesterday), but this neck/shoulder/headache thing is really hurting me. I thought it might be caused by the co2 they use in the lap, but shouldn't that have resolved it's self by now?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Hi Sunny, welcome back! What with the adhesions and ovary removal don't be stingy on the pain meds and don't be afraid to get more if you need them! The pain you describe does sound like refered gas pain. A friend recommended hot tea and it did help. IT is good that you are keeping an eye on your temp. I did not have Lap but the worst pain I had was from where my left ovary use to be, the incision pain was minor by comparison. My recliner became my favorite place after surgery. Don't push it and try to relax. Try the tea. Mary V.
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks, I am just scared that something is wrong.
:confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Gas pains

It sure does sound like the gas pains i have had in the past from laps.moving around a little at a time helped and I also slept on an incline too.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Get some rest.
Unread 01-16-2006, 11:29 AM

Yep, sounds like gas! I swear by peppermint tea.. also peppermint juice that you water down is also brilliant (tastes a bit strong but you get the desired result). If you carry on being concerned I'd give your doctor a call to put your mind at rest.
Unread 01-16-2006, 02:31 PM

How long do the "gas pains" last? Thanks.
Unread 01-17-2006, 09:26 PM

Hi Sunny,
The neck and shoulder pain lasted about four days for me. Wish I'd known about the peppermint tea, I remember giving it to my son when he got cholicky and it always set him right! Is it any better today?
Unread 01-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenLady
Is it any better today?
A little bit. It doesn't hurt untill I lay down, so as long as I am up it's ok.

Do you know anything about swollen legs? I am retaining alot of water in my calves. The nurse said it could be because they gave me so much fluid during my surgery.
Any experience with this?

Thanks
Unread 01-18-2006, 11:14 AM

I had the lap, and the incision on the right side was so painful. Doctor said it was because that is where the camera was, so it was a larger incision. It finally stopped hurting around week 2, was still tender around weeks 3 and 4. Now at week 5 it only tweeks when I twist. If you sneeze, grab a pillow squeeze and bend over. It hurts like the dickens! Now it doesn't so much though.

I never had the pains in the shoulder from the gas, so can't help you there. I took pain pills for the first week, because the incision pain was so intense. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the info I don't feel so bad that I am still on the pain meds.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register