What is Adenomyosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is Adenomyosis? What is Adenomyosis?

Unread 01-16-2006, 07:25 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

I have been reading a lot of posts mentioning that the surgeon discovered adenomyosis during the surgery and not before. I know there must be some place on the boards discussing this in detail but I'm still not too savvy about navigating the site. Is this something that I need to be concerned about them finding (a surprise) once they get in there? And what exactly IS it? I have had ultrasounds and D & Cs and nothing has been diagnosed except multiple fibroids and hyperplasia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2006, 07:50 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

Hi Mountain Miss,

Adenomyosis occurs when the endometrium begins to grow within the wall of the uterus. According to my Dr, it is very often not discovered until the pathology report after surgery. Unless it is in the very early stages, the only cure for it is a hysterectomy. You can have fibroids along with adeno, but sometimes adeno looks like fibroids on ultrasound.

Hope this helped.

S,
Kay
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:29 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

Hi Mountain Miss. I have been diagnosed with adenomyosis. I thought for sure I had endo, but when I had my laporoscopy the Dr. found no endo. After a few other tests, I was finally diagnosed with adenomyosis. I guess you can say it is basically endometriosis contained in the walls of the uterus. My symptoms are lower back pain, severe menstrual pain, very heavy periods with clots and anemia. It has really effected my quality of life and I can't wait to be pain free and have energy again!!! I hope this helped you somewhat.
Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2006, 08:57 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

hi mountain miss
I have adenomyosisand the symptoms I was told usually start after the age of 35 with very heavy and painfull periods and some people like me have pain all month long. It sort of feels like labor pains which get to the point of anemia when you are menstruating. I sometimes pass out with the pain. the difference between a fibroid which I have also, and an adeno is that a fibrois has a beginning and an end and adeno goes very thick into the muscle wall and has no end. this is what my dr told me hope it helps you/ I was diagnosed by trans vaginal ultrasound. I am lucky that my dr has this machine in his office. I hope this info helps the classic symptoms of adeno are upon examination you have a boggy, or squishy uterus that is usually larger than normal and very painfull periods and very heavy periods. Someone else can let me know if I have left anything out. I hope this helps
Good luck I will pray for you
celticd
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:38 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

You can do a google search of Adenomyosis, and then look at images of it.

HERE is the link to a page that shows what it looks like and explains what it is.

Hope it helps!

~Karen
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:51 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

I'm having a hysterectomy due to adenomyosis. My initial reason for visiting the doctor was for bleeding that never seemed to stop. It went on for months at a time. There wasn't a huge quantity of blood loss, but the cramping and clotting were incredible. I read a description somewhere that a uterus with adeno is not able to efficiently expel menstrual blood, just like a person with a mouth full of marbles would not be able to efficiently spit. I hope that's not too graphic, but it helped me understand.
Unread 01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
What is Adenomyosis?

Thanks for all the info. That answers my questions pretty much. I have had heavy bleeding with clots for years, but never any pain. If it turns out there is adenomyosis, is it more difficult to remove the uterus? My doctor has opted for abdominal rather than vaginal removal, so I suspect he's not sure what he's going to find in there. It is amazing how much more informed I am since I found this website than I was before. I didn't even know some of these things existed because the doctor never brought them up. A week and a half to go and I'm becoming more and more sure that I have made the right decision!
Unread 01-16-2006, 02:01 PM
What is Adenomyosis?

Adenomyosis was also found in my payhology report, not before. I had horrible clots, bleeding for months at a time and flooding, Anemia too. I even had to have a blood transfusion 3 years ago because of the heavy bleeding. My initial surgery was for severe dysplasia. I feel so much better now !!!!
Unread 01-16-2006, 03:46 PM
What is Adenomyosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Miss
Thanks for all the info. That answers my questions pretty much. I have had heavy bleeding with clots for years, but never any pain. If it turns out there is adenomyosis, is it more difficult to remove the uterus? My doctor has opted for abdominal rather than vaginal removal, so I suspect he's not sure what he's going to find in there. It is amazing how much more informed I am since I found this website than I was before. I didn't even know some of these things existed because the doctor never brought them up. A week and a half to go and I'm becoming more and more sure that I have made the right decision!
I had adeno too. Pre-diagnosed via internal ultrasound. I had the same symptoms as the other ladies here, plus much more. Like the inability to void properly, it got quite bad, also leg pains, back pains, bleeding dark purple, then bright red blood. By the time I had surgery I looked about 5 months pregnant! My pants were very tight! Oh yeah, the adeno also caused me to have urinary incontinence too! I had a tvh. My dr told me that it WAS difficult to remove it as it was "stuck" probably from the size, and he had to cut it a few times to remove it. I didn't know the difference in surgery, so don't worry. I'm very happy to report that ALL my symptoms are gone since my hyst (5 weeks ago),including the incontinence, even my bad pms, which I read in the above "link" provided that adeno can cause overproduction of hormones, that can cause that. And yes, my big tummy is gone too! No swelly-belly either! My ONLY REGRET for having this surgery is that I didn't get it done sooner! Good luck to all of you LIW!!!
Unread 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM
what is adenomyosis

the swelly belly is the worst. I cant fit into my jeans anymore. I cant wait for this to be over. I am so happy to have found a website that can help so many people I will pray for all the princesses
Good luck
Celticd

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register