Endo Sufferer Having Second Thoughts About Hyst! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo Sufferer Having Second Thoughts About Hyst! Endo Sufferer Having Second Thoughts About Hyst!

Unread 01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Endo Sufferer Having Second Thoughts About Hyst!

I am scheduled for my TAH! I am having 2nd thoughts of doing the surgery. I keep reading and hearing that people become depressed, gain weight and have hormonal issues after surgery! I am already fat, depressed and have hormonal issues. I am SO nervous about becoming a total wreck. I have 2 small children (Both under 2) and I am SO worried about being able to handle this all. I am starting to think that the monthly pain of endo and heavy periods may be worth it. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2006, 09:56 PM

Hi there!

While it is true that some hysterectomy patients become depressed afterwards, some experience weight gain, and some have hormonal issues, it's not the case for all of us. The surgery is a positive influence on the health of many.

I did not have my surgery for the same reason(s) you are considering having yours, so I am certainly not qualified to comment based on my experience, but I have heard that a hysterectomy is not a guaranteed "cure" for endo. Have you researched this thoroughly? I hope so! I also hope that endo sufferers who have had hysts will be along soon to share their thoughts.

Many s to you,
Unread 01-17-2006, 10:18 PM

Everyone reacts differently. All I can comment on is my own experience. After lifelong painful periods, ovarian cysts, and then one year of large clots and non-stop periods for a while, exploratory laproscopy do diagnose and remove endo, Lupron which worked while I was on it but stopped as soon as I stopped getting it...

My TAH/BSO worked for me! I have gained about 20 pounds since the surgery, but don't know if it's because of horomone changes (I'm not doing any HRT right now), or the fact I got a new job and finally can afford to eat more than once a day! For me this was the right decision.

What you should do is ask yourself, while you're on your period, are you willing to have those symptoms every single month until menopause? If the answer is yes, then maybe a hyst is not for you. If you say no, you should either get the hyst or talk to your doctor more about other options to try before going down this drastic route. I am glad I did it, but I also know that I tried other things first, and basically ran out of options. Since menopause would have been a long way away for me, I knew that I was NOT willing to have the pain, bleeding that had me changing my pad every hour (or more), or the constant paranoia of worrying about if I leaked.

It has been GREAT to be able to teach all day, not worrying about where to hide my pads at work, worry about my students seeing me in the bathroom with that all-too-familiar crinkle of plastic, or worse, the embarrasment of leaking at work in front of my students because I simply don't have the TIME to go to the bathroom every hour when I'm in the middle of teaching!

Go with your gut and make sure you talk to your doc about all the options. It could be great for you, or you could wish that you never had it done. Just make sure that you are at peace with the decision you make. Whatever you chose, good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress. I hope you will soon be rid of the horrible pain that endo causes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2006, 10:58 PM

I am 1 year a princess and haven't regretted the decision yet. I could never go back to the pain and misery I was in for so many years. There are definitely trade offs but I am learning to cope and deal with this new me.

I don't take any hormones and I do suffer from lack of sleep and hot flashes. With my family history and endo I choose not to take hormone after the 6 month period. I figure if their just going to wean me off it in a few years why bother getting comfortable with it in the first place.

You may want to read the post op to get an idea of what is in store....I on the other hand didn't think ahead. Good luck with your decision, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Unread 01-18-2006, 06:23 AM

For me personally, I had my hysterectomy (removed everything except my cervix) all because of the misery I was having with my endo.

I saw my doctor yesterday for my 6 week post op (which is Friday) and my doctor said that based on what she saw during surgery, there is no question that the hysterectomy was the best thing to do and she can understand why I had the monthly pain and bleeding I did. I do not regret having my hysterectomy done one iota. I still have a way to go in my recovery, but I don't regret it. Notta.
Unread 01-18-2006, 07:52 AM

Hi chanale!
I had LAVH 6 wks ago due to severe endo. I tried everything and this was my last resort.
As you know endo gets worse with time. Mine got to the point of severe pain in my lower back that radiated down the backs of my legs. Along with pain in my pelvic area. Not very fun, especially trying to take care of a 5 yr old and 3 yr old.
I made my decision so I could be pain free and be more active in my children's lives and in my own.
I felt better when I woke up from surgery than I did when I got to the hospital that morning. I feel really great now too.
Take your time in making your decision, it is a big one. I wish you all the best.
Laurie

p.s. I have lost 6 lbs since my surgery. Everyone is different as you know, but I thought I'd share that with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register