Hot Flashes & recovery from surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot Flashes & recovery from surgery Hot Flashes & recovery from surgery

Unread 01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Hot Flashes & recovery from surgery

My mom just had full hysterectomy on Dec 27th. She is having major hot flashes and is always warm when her house feels cold. Also she is still recovering from the surgery and I thinks shes doing fine, but she still complains to certain things and I just wanted to see if it was normal as Im tired of calling her doctor all the time for every little concern that I have, they must think Im crazy. She is expiriencing heaviness at the bottom area of the stitches which is the low part of the abdomen, little tingly sensations every now and then around the navel area. Still cant be on her feet longer then half hour. If she does step out of the house for a few hours later she feels lite pressure on her stomach. She still has gas problems sometimes after she eats so she takes gas pills. She is nolonger on pain killers, been off of them about 1.5 weeks now. I think shes doing fine but sometimes her little aches concern me and make me wonder if they are normal.
Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2006, 09:47 AM

How old is your mother? and did she have a TAH? or was the surgery vaginal? I had TAH(abdominal hyst.) And the little tingling and twinges were normal my Dr. said it was the nerve endings sparking basicly. If she is older she will tire quickly i would imagine. and it is not that far into her recovery yet so i imagine she is feeling a little pooped out.
Dont feel silly about asking Dr's questions. thats their job.
I hope she feels better soon.
Unread 01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
She's 46

My mom is 46 and the surgery was from abdomen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Hi Fiana

I think it's great that you're helping your mom by doing research and joining this site

Your mom is still quite early in her recovery and will be feeling all sorts of aches, pains and tingles as her tissues heal. You might take at look at the Checkpoints in this site which give a really good idea of where the average woman may be during recovery. I think she may be doing too much at her stage which can cause the "heaviness" in her lower abdomen. she may also consider taking OTC pain meds to deal with the occasional discomfort. My GYN/ONC said to keep taking meds as long as needed to be able to keep up an activity level. MILD activity helps the healing process, whereas too much can delay it.

We all are different in our recovery so "normal" can be different from woman to woman. My normal was finally feeling recovered 3 1/2 months after surgery (I'm 55), no more twinges or feeling like a lie-down every afternoon. That's also when my energy level finally picked up.

You might take a cruise through the post-op boards to give you and your mom an idea of what to expect through the next weeks.

This board also shouldn't take the place of calling the doctor if something pops up. The doc is the best resource as he/she knows your mom's case. But we're always here with even if you just need a vent!

Best of luck to your mom in her recovery and remind her to
Unread 01-18-2006, 11:08 AM

Hi Fiana: I'll echo what Spinflyer has already said, and just add that your mom's aches and twinges are exactly how I would describe my own after surgery, expecially the feeling of heaviness or pulling when walking or standing too long. It's only been three weeks since your mom's surgery, and while it seems like a long time, it really isn't. She is still quite early in recovery, which can take a couple of months or more.

Molly
Unread 01-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Fiana

your mother's recovery sounds exactly like mine and she is right on schedule and doing just fine.

Give your mother our best wishes and

Unread 01-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Hi Fiana,
I am 47 and had total hysterectomy October 26th - my daughter found this site for me and it is so supportive. Your mom sounds the same as I was (am), still getting twinges and pain, especially the right side. It took me weeks to get strength up and I could not sit in a car for long either - she needs to take it easy, her body will tell her when she has done too much - and it does take a long long time, I started back at work last week, and the swelly belly came back and am on the sick again now - but thats because I did too much. Your mom will feel the same, some days you feel really good, others you feel really bad. The best thing I did was on my bad days, I would compare myself to how I felt the week after surgery, and it was always better than then, hope she does well. And you are doing great looking after her. x
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:11 PM

I had second surgery in September and expected I would recover as quickly as I did after the original hysterectomy for ovarian in 2001. At 5 weeks then I would've been ready to go back to work, were it not for chemo. This time, I was slower recovering. At 3 weeks I was still very tired and resting a lot. I still have some twings and tingles by where a drain was put in as I had hernia surgery too. She is early in her recovery. This is very major surgery and we all recover at a different rate, some with problems and some not. Mom needs more time to recover in her case. When she goes back for her next followup, you and she can take along a list of questions and concerns.
Unread 01-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Of course your mother's symptoms are normal & a part of the healing process. Don't worry it takes time to heal. My best wishes to your mom.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register