ANYONE taken a bath? Is it okay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ANYONE taken a bath?  Is it okay? ANYONE taken a bath? Is it okay?

Unread 01-19-2006, 06:38 PM
ANYONE taken a bath? Is it okay?

My doctor told me I could bath after my 1-week post-op appt. I suppose he knows best, but I haven't because I'm afraid of infection. I don't understand how it would be okay. I don't know if the bath water can go into my vagina or not. Has anyone bathed and how soon? Have anyone's doctors said beware of infection? I just don't want to cause any problems for myself. I appreciate any input. Thanks. I'm anxious to sit in the tub in the arm water and sooth my aching tummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2006, 07:04 PM

I took a bath one week after getting home, then decided I had probably better shower for a few weeks longer. It was my decision to do this, and I did not discuss it with my doctor, but I read the posts from the women here and decided it might be wise to wait. I just made it my routine to step into the shower each morning, and then after about six weeks, I started taking baths again.

Incidentally, I did not have any problems with infection after that bath, but boy! did it feel good! So relaxing to sit in a tub of warm water.
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:51 PM

I just came home today from my TVH with anterior & posterior repair. My doc said I can take a bath too. I probably will because I love soaking but I do admit I'm a little scared. However, I trust my Dr and she is very conservative so I'm sure it is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Bathing

I was told not to take a bath until the sterie stips fell off. They said that would take about 2 weeks. It took about 3 and I ended up taking them off because they were still there and just haning all over the place. After that I took a bath. I wanted a hot tub but figured that would not be a good idea until I had my 6 week check up. You are at least 4 weeks post op it looks like so you should be ok.
Unread 01-19-2006, 08:50 PM

I took sitz baths right about my 3 week post-op. I didn't have the abdominal hysterectomy like you did, but I had the extensive repair work done and was having so much trouble with my rectum (tmi) burning and hurting so badly, that my doctor told me to take 2 sitzs baths a day. Boy, it was so nice soaking in a "claw foot tub" that is 6 feet long and about 8 inches deep. The doctor told me to be sure my tub was cleaned, so I had my husband or mama to clean my tub out for me before taking a bath. They also said to be sure you have good drainage in your tub and be sure to rinse the tub out really well which I did. No problems and I healed up much quicker. Hope this info helps you. Good Luck and get well soon!
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:02 PM

I was told no bath...due to infection. I am 6 weeks but healing slow * still can't take one. As long as I can shower...I'll deal with it.
Unread 01-20-2006, 12:05 AM

My dr who is pretty conservative told me that the vagina is fairly water tight as long as you are not trying to put anything inside it (I know TMI)...but anyways...she said I could take a bath immediately after I was released from the hospital. It worked better for relaxing my sore tummy than any pain med on the planet. I just made sure the bathtub was extra clean (I also did not have a large abdominal incision...I have a LAVH).
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:05 AM

Hi,
I took a bath as soon as I returned home (day 4). I had an abdominal with staples. Had no problems at all - used bubble bath and usual soaps etc. Just made sure the water wasn't quite as hot as normal.
Enjoy!
xx
Elaine
Unread 01-20-2006, 07:47 AM

I took my first bath after 2 weeks and everything was okay. It was so relaxing and wonderful to just sit and soak. It helped me with the soreness too!!
Unread 01-20-2006, 08:32 AM

I was cleared for baths at 3 weeks, after all those steri strips came off. oh man was it so nice. i like you was alittle scared about infection, but i trust my doctor. best of luck with you recovery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register