Yikes! My son tried to eat my Premarin! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yikes! My son tried to eat my Premarin! Yikes! My son tried to eat my Premarin!

Unread 01-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Yikes! My son tried to eat my Premarin!

Luckily, he said it tasted yucky, so he spit "the rest" out in the trash can. I can't find the discarded pill, and good luck trying to get an almost 4 year old to describe how much he spit out.

I called Poison Control, and they said to just give him something to drink and he'll be OK. I know for sure that it was only one pill (that is all that was left in the container), I just don't know how much of that one pill he ingested. Now I am trying to find a place even higher than before to keep my meds. It has been 6 hours since this discovery, and my stomach is still in knots. Thank goodness it was just hormones and not something for pain or blood pressure.

I keep the rest of the meds in a locked cabinet, and my Premarin for the week in one of those weekly organizer plastic containers. This is the first time I have ever had to take medications on a regular basis, and I am having a hard time remembering to take it at the same time every day unless I see the plastic container. I wonder if there is a childproof version of those things? Or is anyone willing to give any hints for what they use to remind themselves? I obviously have to come up with another method.

On a lighter note, we finally have me on a good dose of Premarin, so when I was telling my folks and later DH about the upsetting incident, the first thing they asked of course was if DS was OK. The second thing they all asked was, he didn't eat them all did he? You DO have some more, right?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2006, 08:20 AM

Boy, can I relate to that! My youngset DD used to get into everything - she led me a merry chase constantly ( & added more than a few gray hairs ). We had a real scare when she ate most of a bottle of iron tablets. She's an adult now thankfully.

I'm so happy that your little one is going to be ok. Keeping all meds under lock is a good idea

I keep a daily reminder for my hrt posted on my frig. I haven't forgotten yet.

S
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Here's a couple of ideas for you.....

Cheap: when you get your med refilled, keep the old bottle. Use a permanent marker to label the lid of the old bottle with the time you are to take that med (leave the label on the bottle so you know what's inside). On Saturday night, put the number of pills in the old bottle that you will need for one week (if it's a once a day med, put 7 pills in the bottle). Now put that bottle where you will see it to remember your meds (if you forget if you've taken your med that day, count how many pills are left in the bottle and you will know-----if it's Wednesday and there are only 3 pills left for a once-a-day med, you know you've taken Wed's dose). Just refill that bottle every Saturday night for the week ahead.

More expensive: products such as the Lumiscope 1247 Electronic Pill Timer (currently on sale at amazon.com for $8.99) have childproof mechanisms as well as timers and such to remind you to take your meds. If you do a web search for "child proof pill dispenser", it will give you links to other companies as well that have these types of products.

Hope these ideas help you. Can't imagine how your heart must have stopped when you found out what had happened. No matter how much we watch them, kids manage to find some way to get into things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Those ideas all sound great. Thanks for your input.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register