Hi Girls! "My Back from the Castle Story" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi Girls!  "My Back from the Castle Story" Hi Girls! "My Back from the Castle Story"

Unread 04-17-2001, 08:18 AM
Hi Girls! "My Back from the Castle Story"

Hi Ladies!
I'm back! Relieved to be on the healing end of this ordeal! So, for all ladies out there like myself, who pounced on each telling of one's own experience...here is mine!

Terrified, terrified right up to the drive to the hospital in the morning of April 10th. I did my medicated douche and fleets enema the night before and took my shower and scrubbed good with antibacterial soap the morning of. We arrived at the hospital at about 6:45AM. I realized that the fleet enema was still working and had to run into the ladies room as soon as we walked in the front door! WOW! I was glad it didn't hit me again in the OR! About 5 minutes later a woman on staff came down for me and brought me up to pre-op. They made DH wait in the waiting room for a bit while they had me change and they inserted the IV. The only bad part there was the woman in the area next to me was crying and telling her family she didn't want to die between sobs. I was trying to be positive and this woman was in pieces! The anesthesiologist came over and chatted a bit and the doctor came breezing in (you'd have to know my doctor). He basically said he's see me in the OR. Soon 2 nurses came along and said they would be in OR with me and said to say bye to DH, I waved to him as we turned the corner. I was happily talking about food. What I really wanted to do was go out for breakfast and skip surgery. The nurses and I were joking about Belgium waffles,etc all the way to OR.
As they got me on the table I vaguely remember asking about pictures of surgery and they said only for laproscopic surgeries. I don't remember anything until I heard someone say..."WOW, big cervix!"
Then I remember them wheeling me to my room...an elevator and room numbers. Someone whispered in my ear I had an anxious family waiting to see me.
I had my morphine pump which I requested and was settled in with oxygen, IV, catheter, and morphine pump.
PAIN! I would be lying if I said there was no pain. I hit that pump every 10 minutes. Eventually I became quite comfortable. Surgery began at 8AM and I was returned to my room just before noontime.
Later that night I began itching and knew to tell the nurse. She told the Doctor and they removed the morphine pump and started my IV with Benedryl for the itching. Darn! The gave me Demerol shots after that.
Then vicodin. Stuck a patch on me next day "Estraderm". They removed the catheter which wasn't a big deal. The only thing that bothered me was waiting for my bladder to function on its own. I was so proud when I could leave a nice amount in the "hat" they leave in the toilet! They had me out of bed that same night but just to waddle to the door of my room and back. Next day it was down the hall. My IV had to be changed over on 4/11 because my vein collapsed. I found "Nurse Crotchet" when this woman came huffing and puffing into my room, tossed stuff on my bed and began to tie my arm and started stabbing me with the needle and proceeded to jam it in further without the benefit of Novocaine! After 2 failed attempts, 2 phone calls to answer her pages, she was slapping my inside forearm and I asked to have the nurse who did my original IV as this woman seemed "apprehensive". Well she grabbed her stuff and mumbled something about doing this for 20 years and left my room in a huff. Soon the angel who did my IV the previous morning arrived and gently and almost painlessly fixed me right up first try! She apologized to me for the other witch and said that it wasn't right to do IV's without Novocaine and was just as nice as she was the morning I came in for surgery. (Thanks to you sister's I wouldn't let any nurse be mean to me and asked for my angel back when Crotchet struck!) I was sent home on Thursday 4/12. Saturday night I had another reaction to the vicodin where there were lesions on my throat and half my tongue was like it was burnt. So I am now reduced to Tylenol. They offered to give me a new prescription for pain but I was tired of the narcotics and wanted to just feel better.

So there it is! Not exactly a "walk in the park" but it wasn't as bad as we all worry over. Listen to your body and tell nurses everything, even itching, and most of all "Don't let any nurses be mean to you!"
Love you all!
Glad to be back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2001, 08:30 AM

Susan - Welcome home!!!!

I had one of those nurses too I also had reaction to morphine...and had to be given benedryl for itching. I told them prior to surgery that some narcotics affected me like that..but there wasn't anything in my chart so they couldn't give me anything until gyn. prescribed..so I spent the first day and night after surgery itching terribly. I asked the nurse to call the gyn. and she told me she wasn't calling her at home just because I was itching... and gave me a comb to scratch my legs underneath the pumps...(wasn't that sweet of her) . NOTE to LIW...make sure you've got stuff written in your chart if your allergic to some medications.

REST, REST, Susan...drink LOTS of water and juice and stay away from carbonated drinks and gasy foods for awhile. See you on the post op side
Unread 04-17-2001, 10:47 AM

I'M NOT SHY, IF THERES NO ORDER FOR SOMETHING I NEED AND THE NURSE WONT CALL----I WILL. THATS WHAT THE DOCS GET PAID FOR. THEY KNEW WHEN THEY STARTED MED SCHOOL THAT BEING A DOC MENT MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT PHONE CALLS. DONT BE SHY LADIES. SPEAK UP FOR YOUSELVES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2001, 01:55 PM
Hi Girls! Back from the castle

I agree with rosebird! If the nurses refuse to call the doctor then tell them that you will call the doctor yourself! From past experience this usually works and if you have a real ***** of a nurse then make that call yourself or have someone else do it. I have even refused to have certain nurses, because of bad past experiences and while it is not an easy thing to request in the long run it is worth it! If you have trouble speaking up for yourself enlist someone who you know can do it. I have big mouth and almost always get my needs met in the hospital because I have learned to speak up.
Unread 04-17-2001, 08:21 PM

LOL I love this idea.. call the doctor yourself... lol

Guess it's dark in the room and the ***** nurse couldnt see how she was dealing with... she didnt see the "crown"... lol

I WILL remember this rule.. call the doctor yourself..
take care
xo Donna Fay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register