Ok Body ODOR questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok Body ODOR questions Ok Body ODOR questions

Unread 01-21-2006, 01:28 AM
Ok Body ODOR questions

Ladies,
I haven't talked on the boards for a long time now. But I've been having this problem and just figured it had something to do with my surgery. So...
What is up with my right armpit??
OMG
I have scrubbed it so much that it hurts, tried almost EVERY deoderent Wal-mart has, even tried soaking in really hot tub of epson salt. But no luck.
I STINK! And I've never stunk, ladies it used to be all roses, everywhere.
Ok, not roses but I never smelled like a man before. You'd think I was out there doing some kind of manual labor. Again, only in the right. Ok, there's also a salty smell between my brests and my vaginal area has decided to come alive alittle too.

So I have some questions!
1. What is causing this new body odor? What is my body now lacking that I had before the surgery?

2. How do I fix it?
I've read some posts from the archives and know that several women have been through this. And NO, it's not a fat thing. I was fluffy before the surgery and I'm probably even 10lbs lighter now.
I need some serious help, in more ways than one, because I'm about to lose my mind over all of this. I can't be the stinky kid in class!!
Please Help!!
Until then, I'll be smelling like roses here in KS.
Thanks
Brandy Wisdom, KS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Ok Body ODOR questions

Dear Brandy,

I remember having that very thing about 4-6 weeks post-op. Prior to surgery, I never even had to use deodorant. And, it was upsetting to me.

I think it must be caused the the shift in hormones.
Since I have gone up on my estrogen, I find it alot less noticable.

Best wishes and to you.
Unread 01-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Ok Body ODOR questions

Hi Brandy,
I'm not a doctor, and until yours can help you figure out what is causing the problem; I just wanted to share that my 16 yr old Daughter has a very similar issue as you. For her the doc thinks it is hormonal and also caused due to medications she has to take daily since birth. She has tried every name brand deodorant on the market! Even a men's non scented. No luck. The big difference and discovery for her was the difference between an anti-perspirant/deodorant and just a plain deodorant. She ended up finding that (not sure if I am spelling it correct) *Arrid xx dry* fixed her oder and sweating issues. Have you tried that brand? Maybe at least see if it will help ( a cheap ulternative for now) until your doc can address the issue? Hope this helps.
Hugs
Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Ok Body ODOR questions

Hi, I just had my hyst. Tuesday will be 2 weeks, i am having to put on deodorant 5 times a day, i used to put it on in the morning and maybe middle of the day just to be sure? I do notice a weird odor. My mother in law of course is not a DR. but i had an ovary taken out and she said that maybe my hormones are trying to adjust to only having one ovary. You may try to search it.. I did and some things came up. This is just what i found on a website and thought i would pass it along, by no means am i trying to push it...Just thought maybe you might see some info that may strike you....And may even talk to you Dr. and discuss if it would be something right for you to do if you found something interesting. http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_bodyo.htm
Supplements
Chlorophyll One or two chlorophyll tablets or chlorophyll liquid taken with each meal may also help, as chlorophyll is a great deodorizer. See our Product.

Magnesium Take magnesium supplements or augment your diet with food sources high in this important mineral. Between 200-500 mg of magnesium have been recommended. You will have to try different doses until you get the amounts that are right for your body.

Vitamins A high-potency B vitamin (50 mg or higher), when combined with magnesium, will help reduce certain secretions that can be a cause of odor. Make sure you are getting 100 mg of PABA and 100 mg of B6.

Zinc If you have body odor, try taking zinc tablets. Zinc, plus magnesium, will help balance your body's metabolism and reduce the cause of bad odor. Studies have shown that taking 30 to 50 mg daily will dramatically reduce certain body odors, although you may need less. Zinc may also reduce perspiration and sweaty feet. However, it is wise to go above 15 mg only with a doctor's supervision as zinc may interfere with the absorption of copper, another essential trace mineral.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remedies
Folk
Alcohol/witch hazel Wipe your armpits with alcohol, white vinegar or witch hazel instead of deodorant.

Alum Try using a crystal rock made from the mineral salt potassium alum instead of a deodorant. It won't keep you dry as an antiperspirant will, but they clog your sweat glands and contain aluminum chlorohydrate, which may lead to future health problems.

Apple cider vinegar Apple cider vinegar eliminates under arm body odor when used in place of deodorant because it reduces the pH of the skin. Bacteria can't live in areas with low pH.

• White vinegar is also helpful. Place some on a cotton ball and apply to the underarms instead of deodorant. The vinegar smell is gone in minutes and you should be smell-free all day.

Baby powder Use baby powder or talc in areas of heavy perspiration.

Baby wipes (see towelettes below) also work, but the results may be temporary.

Baking soda Baking soda, the odor-eating standby, can be used instead of deodorant. Just apply the powder to your dry armpits. It will kill bacteria and help absorb perspiration. Cornstarch can also be used instead or mixed with the baking soda.

Bauxite crystal deodorant works very well at controlling underarm odors.

Parsley/alfalfa Chewing parsley, alfalfa and other leafy greens will help neutralize body odor, probably because of the deodorizing effect of the chlorophyll.

Radishes Juice about two dozen radishes, add 1/4 teaspoon of glycerine, and put in a squirt or spray-top bottle. Use as an underarm deodorant or to reduce foot odor.

Rosemary is an antibacterial herb. Put 8 to 10 drops of the essential oil in 1 ounce of water and appy it where needed.

Sage Herbalists suggest drinking a cup of sage tea daily to reduce sweat gland activity. This is especially true for those who perspire excessively due to tension. Use 11/2 teaspoonsful of dried sage or two tea bags in one cup of water; steep for ten minutes; drink in small doses throughout the day.

• Fresh sage leaves blended with tomato juice has been found to be very effective.

Tea tree is an antibacterial herb. Make a deodorant by putting 2 drops of the essential oil into 1 ounce of water and apply where needed. See our product.

Towelettes (baby wipes) Useful when a tense moment surges the sex hormones which produce fluid under the arms and around the genital areas that, when combined with bacteria, causes odor.

Turnip juice Turnip juice will reduce underarm odor for up to 10 hours. Grate a turnip, squeeze the juice through cheesecloth, so that you have two teaspoonsful. Wash your armpits first, and vigorously rub one teaspoonful on each one.

Wheat grass Take 500 mg of wheat grass daily on an empty stomach and wash down with a glass of water. The chlorophyll will dramatically reduce body odor.

Homeopathic
Silicea Homeopaths recommend dissolving three 6X tablets of the tissue salt Silicea under the tongue each morning and evening to knock out odor

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register