Not sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Not sleeping

hello3:
Ok, I know my surgery is 30 days away, but since getting the news and getting off my continuous BCPs I have not had decent night's sleep. (I do have Rx sleep aid, not working either.) I know that alot has got to do with anxiety and pain, but I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
Thank you in advance for any advice or any tidbits anyone might have

Sabrini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Not sleeping

You're not alone Sabrini. I just passed my one month mark and my brain at night has kicked into hamster overdrive, I know I'm "asleep" but also know I'm worrying through out the night as I wake or semi wake constantly. The Lupron flashes are a culprit too. I've been getting a handle on mine with exercise and meditation, but some of the gals here have gotten prescriptions for Ambien leading up to their trip to the castle. Might want to talk to your doc to see if he can give you a prescription for something that will work.

Hang in there
Unread 01-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Not sleeping

Hi Ladies

The stress and anxiety of your upcoming surgery is playing havoc with your mind. Try to relax and organize your thoughts prior to bedtime. Take 1/2 hour before bed to relax, do some deep breathing or meditation. As silly as it sounds, close your eyes and image a piece of white (or whatever your favourite colour is) paper; image pulling it closer and closer to you until all you see is the paper and nothing else.

If you don't want to do the 'drug' thing and still want a good nights sleep, try eating freshly roasted fresh turkey.
Turkey has a natural sleep aid called triptophan. That's why you always sleep well after turkey dinner.
Just make sure it's fresh (never frozen). I cook turkey about 2-3 times a month. You should be able to find 'parts' at your grocery store or butchers.

You might try a hot bath, making sure that when you get out, it's warm and you go straight to bed.

If you don't mind a little medicinal help, gravol or phenergan works well, too. So does Nyquil.
Try NOT to think of all that you still have to do prior to surgery...do that during the day when you are awake and alert. Making lists helps organize your "to do" list.

Sweet dreams,

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Not sleeping

Thank you all so much! I do have a Rx for Ambien, and that is what I have been taking, but that is not doing the trick. I usually have Sunday dinner with my Aunt and we were talking, she is going to make turkey tomorrow!!!! (not sure how fresh it will be though- i think it will be prior frozen)
I have been trying to stay busy, but I feel like i am on auto-pilot because I am so tired and hurting. It is true, when you stress out your pain levels increase.
Once again thank you for your advice. I feel so silly that I can't sleep. (Especially on a cold wet rainy day) I do feel rather relaxed this evening....wish me luck!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register