How do I stop taking hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I stop taking hormones How do I stop taking hormones

Unread 01-21-2006, 03:07 PM
How do I stop taking hormones

Hello,
I've been on estrogen for two years (prior to and after my hysterectomy). I have never felt good since I began taking it. I've been on many forms, estrasorb, activella, estratest, triest, and now estradiol. After about two weeks, I get tired and foggy. If I don't take it, I can't sleep. I been giving it a lot of thought and I would like to try to get off of the estrogen and take something that doesn't have the side effects. Can you share your story or what might possibly work? Thank you so much. marymargo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2006, 08:20 PM

If you are only taking it to sleep, why don't you try something like Lunesta or Ambien? Chemo from breast cancer put me into instant menopause a few years ago and inability to sleep was the only real problem. I've been taking Ambien when needed and it is much better than any OTC sleep medication. There is no "sleep hangover" and the dreams ... they're incredible, like being in a movie.
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:55 AM

I take the herb supplement Valerian root for sleep, it relaxes and doesn't leave me goggy in the morning.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2006, 11:32 AM

marymargo

I personally don't have experience with HRT but a GF who had a hyster about 3 years ago was having serious issues with many types of HRT. She finally got bio-identical hormones compounded for her and she is delighted with the results. She had been having lots of side effects and sleep problems, but is great now.
Unread 01-24-2006, 02:15 PM

I had been on natural hormones from a compounding pharmacy for a few years, and stopped a few days ago. Want to see if I can go without. I feel a little light headed. I'm hoping to lose weight and stop breakouts on my face, that I never had before. But since, Sunday, when I stopped, I don't feel as great as I did on the HRT.
Has anyone had experience getting off HRT?
Unread 01-24-2006, 02:26 PM

Hi,

I have tried to get off several times, and get awful symptoms. The next time I try, it will be a very slow weaning process. I am on the patch and what I did was drop down a whole dose last year, and my next step is to drop to the next one, and go for a year and see how I do. I think weaning off might be easier on the body.

If it gets too bad ,you can go back on and wean off very slowly and see how you do.

Everyone is different on how they feel off of it. I get headaches, moodiness, sadness, insomnia,and hot flashes. I feel good on the hrt,but worry about being on it too long as I am menopausal age and have been on it 3 years. I at least would like to go down to the .03 patch. I am on the .05 now.

Good luck to you.

s
Unread 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM

SuzyQ23,
Thanks. I agree. After 3 days of headaches and feeling light headed and weird, I called to renew my RX. It's all natural and compounded. I asked an alternative doc awhile back what she thought. She said she would not stop the HRT. So, maybe I'll take them every other day. I do feel better with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register