Terrified! Fibroid! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrified! Fibroid! Terrified! Fibroid!

Unread 01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Hi Everyone,

I am a 38 year old who's never had any type of surgery in her life and scheduled for a TAH on February 14. I noticed a couple months ago that my lower abdomen felt hard and big like in pregnancy. I knew pregnancy was unlikely and went to my Dr. who said I could have a mass in my uterus. Then I went to have an ultrasound and it was confirmed that I have a 4" fibroid growing in the left upper section of my uterus. I have no unusually bad cramping with my period nor do I bleed heavily. The gyno said I had 1 of 2 options. Either I live with my uterus the size of a 4 to 5 month pregnancy ( I didn't think it was THAT big!) or I have an abdominal hyterectomy. She said my uterus is too big to pull through my vagina. Good news is my ovaries are good and I get to keep them. Bad news is that I had a bad pap that required a leep procedure a year and a half ago so the cervex goes too. I wasn't planning anymore children so that's not an issure. Nor do I feel my womanhood is tied up with my uterus. I'm just scared of being cut open! I go for a second opinion this friday but because of insurance reasons I am going to another gyno. that is in her same medical group. I like the first gyno. I saw as she spent tons of time with me explaining things but everyone tells me to get that second opinion. My last pelvic was a year and a half ago and at that time no fibroid was mentioned by my doc. I've had multiple paps to check out the precancer I had on my cervex and that's all good but I didn't have the full pelvic so I guess this thing had time to grow that quickly. Anyway here I am and I'm scared to death. I would appreciate any support or opinions from anyone out there that has been through this whole ordeal
Thanks!
Boop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Hi Boop38,

I too had fibroids so I can totally sympathize with your situation. It can be very scary deciding what to do. My fibroids also grew in a relative short amount of time. They grew between two annual gyneo exams. One year...no fibroids. The next year...I had my two bad boys!! I too had never had surgery so my fibroids really threw my life into a turmoil. I thought about them 24/7.

I think getting a 2nd, even a 3rd opinion is a great idea. I got two opinions myself. It will just give you more information to help you make the best decison for yourself. My two Drs gave me 2 very ~different~ ideas on what to do. One Dr. wanted to do abdominal surgery (TAH) and the other suggested a LSH, after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive hyst.

Best wishes. You will find a great bunch of ladies here to help you with your questions.

Mary
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Gee, your story sounds like mine. I know exactly how you feel; I went and got 3 more "2nd Opinions" and all said surgery was best for me, but I had to explore all my options. I find some times I'm calm and rational and the next I'm freaking out too. This is a great site to vent and take encouragement from. Everyone says the waiting is the worst part. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Thank you for your response Mary. This doctor I went to didn't even mention the idea of shrinking my fibroid before surgery. I will mention this to the doctor I see on Friday and see if he thinks this is an option I might try. Thanks for your help!
Boop
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Hi Boop38,

The 3 shots that made my fibroids shrink was ~lupron~. Fibroids feed off estrogen and lupron causes temporary chemical menopause which decreases estrogen. Lupron also caused hot flashes and night sweats. Lupron is not for everyone because of the side effects, and in my case, lupron was a success. My lupron side effects wore off right before my surgery. I kept my ovaries and I have not had a hot flash since.

I did not want abdominal surgery if I was a good candidate for a less invasive hyst. Am I glad I did lupron to have a LSH?? Oh yeah. I am very pleased still with my surgery results.

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Just dropping my with some s and a link to the Fibroid Section of our Resource Database: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php. I think you are doing the best thing you can do for yourself right now--research and second opinion. Best wishes to you as you step through the process of finding what is the right option for you!
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Hello Boop38!
I can relate to having fibroids and I can tell you I dont miss them now ONE BIT! My surgery was the first time I was ever in a hospital over night and I was scared about that... so I understand what you are feeling! I was lucky that I could have a TVH which does not require an abdominal cut and I think that made my recovery pretty easy compared to what many women go through. I was able to keep my ovaries (I am glad) but I did not keep my cervix (and I have not missed it).

Good luck and I am glad that you found us ~ best wishes from Texas!
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Hi Boop38 get a second or third opinion I was referred to a wonderful gynacologist who specializes in laproscopic surgery. My problems included many,many fibroids one being 6-7cm. an endometrioma and endo. Prior to my surgery he said I had an 18 week size uterus. I just had my surgery done it was an LAVH LSO I was home the next day and I'm feeling pretty good. My DH can't seem to get me off the computer. I'll answer any questions you have. Good luck with your research.
Kathy
Unread 01-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

Thanks everyone for your support. I have a question for you Kathy. Did you use hormones as well to shrink your fibroid prior to surgery? I'm so bummed they can't remove my uterus through the vagina. Either way it's scary but I hate the idea of the big incision.
Boop
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Terrified! Fibroid!

My doc did mention lupron at my pre-op on Jan 10 but said it probably wouldn't do much good as my surgery date was Feb 2, my date was then bumped up to Jan 20 due to an O.R. booking problem. So no I didn't have lupron and it was still done laproscopically. Try getting another opinion not all docs are trained laproscopically. I'm not sure how they do things in the USA with the HMO'S I had my surgery in Ontario, Canada at a teaching hospital. I just lucked out when my gyno referred me to this doctor. I knew if I waited any longer I would have needed an abdominal incision, because everthing had grown since I saw my doc in May/September.
Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register