81/2 weeks...is this adhesion pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

81/2 weeks...is this adhesion pain? 81/2 weeks...is this adhesion pain?

Unread 01-24-2006, 07:48 AM
81/2 weeks...is this adhesion pain?

Hi sisters,
I am 81/2 weeks post op. I started back at the gym and was doing ab work.
Last night and this morning I am having tender, pinching sensations at the bottom of my vertical incision. It was like this in the hospital and off and on the first couple weeks.
Well, now it just burns and pinches almost all the time. I don't know if it is being irritated b/cause of going back to the gym and doing my normal activities.

My scar is thicker at the bottom and hard. At 4 weeks post op visit the dr. took note of it. I guess I am worried that my activity level is promoting more scar tissue?

anyone else have these issues and thanks.

soothankful
38 yrs old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2006, 09:28 AM

Hi! I get off and on pinching in the area of the scar. It feels less thick now than it did several weeks ago. Are you lifting weights? I do that too but my doc told me no working out with weights for 3 more months at my 6 week checkup. She gave me go ahead for aerobics and crunches. Maybe you're doing too much too soon? (aren't you sick of hearing that? I am! But I guess it has merit...) I feel really good but don't want to take a chance at backsliding into being told I can't do much of anything like just after the surgery...) Hang in there!
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:28 PM

I am nearly 10wks post op and was running up to 50min/6days a wk for 3 wks when I had to stop last Friday. My knees and hips (and lower back) have been quite painful by mid-afternoon. I also have 'pinching' but in my tummy like I did immediately after surgery. Anyone else having problems with their knees, hips, back? I had the same knee/hip/back pain about 4 wks post surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2006, 09:36 PM

I went back to work and the gym at 8 weeks and had pain begin in the lower quadrants below the scar and more toward the pelvic bone. It seemed very deep and had a pulling sensation. After resting for 4 days, it didn't get any better so I saw my doctor.

Doctors thought I had pulled at the fascia where they stich you down in the corners. I did three cortisone shots 2 weeks apart, and began fascia release with a certified massage therapist. After 8 weeks of doing these things, I can finally get around without too much pain. I am still going to wait a month to go back to the gym again, and take it much slower. The doctor told me they stiched me down really tight and it took a while to get it stretched out after I pulled it. I am also going to continue the fascia release therapy.

Hopefully you can see your doctor if the pulling doesn't go away, and they can give you help like I received.
Unread 01-24-2006, 10:00 PM

I'm confused. I had my 5 week post-op last week and my dr said go ahead & do whatever you want IF it isn't uncomfortable! I think my dr has been way too relaxed on the "not what to do" list. When I left the hospital my instruction sheet said no lifting over 25 lbs!!!! I have had to REALLY learn the hard way what is right & what is wrong to do. I've even heard (thanks to the HysterSisters) that we shouldn't be on a treadmill for SIX months. I found out why the other day...I think it involves like Sailapril said about the stitching down of the fascia. I've been having lots of little sharp pains since the treadmill episode but slowly it is getting better. I too have the pinching sensations on the right side by my incision. Next week I'm suppose to return to teaching my exercise classes & we do a lot with weights & bands but if what Kimmy43's dr says is right, then I'm way premature with that too and I don't want any more setbacks. So many opinions & so many different instructions froms drs...it's really hard to know what is right & wrong!! Let's stick together & we'll get through this!
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:12 PM

I seriously think that 81/2 weeks post-op is really too soon to be going to the gym & especially doing "ab work"! There is still a lot of healing going on inside. What on earth were you thinking? I hope everything turns out okay for you & remember to take it easy! Don't try to be superwoman!
Unread 01-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Well said mori!

It's so important when re-starting an activity to EASE into it. If you've been inactive for 2 months, your body won't know what hit it!! Yes, we have a lot of muscle memory but surgery has rearranged a few things too. Use some OTC pain meds and call your doctor if the pains last more than a couple of days.

Cheers
Unread 01-25-2006, 11:22 AM

Dear DMC,

I had to smile when I read your post. I've left my doctor's office over and over just shaking my head lately.

First of all, thank God for Hyster Sisters, because after a hysterectomy at any age, the doctor's should give out a manual about what to expect and what happens after certain activities if your body isn't ready. We all have so many questions!!!

I've been so very tired since my hysterectomy, and subsequent gall bladder surgery 3 weeks later. I asked my gynocologist why I am still so tired, and he shrugged his shoulders and said, "don't know -that's not my department!" Then I told him I was not able to do simple tasks like taking a short walk or just walking down a flight of stairs. He said the same thing. Finally I asked him why suddenly my skin was so dry - even my cuticles were cracking and I never experienced that before. He said again..."don't really know..." AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I give up I swear...

It's really frustrating when I speak to other women personally or read things here on line about responses that some of us have received from their doctor's that are kind, concerned, and sensible answers. My doctor is an OB/GYN and I honestly think he'd rather just deliver babies than get involved with this hysterectomy "stuff."

I'm just very happy that I found this site to get some answers that make a LOT more sense.

Judy
Unread 01-25-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm getting a similar pain on the right side above the end of my scar. I'm heading off to my GP tomorrow because my gyno doesn't really have any clue what it could be. She gave me some muscle relaxers to try but I'm going to talk to the GP first to get her take on the situation. I'm having some bladder pain on the same side so I'm wondering if it's related.

Been frustrated because I know I have a mild UTI but I'm allergic to all of the medications I've tried thus far. I have to go back to work on Monday, HELP!!

I bet a lot of you gals are disappointed that you're not feeling better at this point, aren't you?

Annette, 7 weeks yesterday
Unread 01-25-2006, 10:11 PM

My doc told me no ab excercises for at least 3 months. I can't even imagine doing them now anyway. I feel so out of shape I walk on the tred for 20 min at the lowest setting and I end up soooooo tired after. But at least i am back up and getting some kind of excersice. Good luck and a stay strong!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register