When will I have my normal life back???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When will I have my normal life back???? When will I have my normal life back????

Unread 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
When will I have my normal life back????

Hello sisters,
I will be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow. I know this is a slow recovery process but today I think I had an emotional breakdown. I am tired of having limitiations, I'm tired of having a swollen belly, I'm tired of only being able to wear sweatpants and I'm tired of not being able to sleep at night.
When will I have my body back? When will I have my sex life back? And when will my life be back to normal?
Thanks for all your support!!
Deana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2006, 07:03 PM

Hi, Man I am feeling the same way! I am four weeks tomorrow also had a TAH because of endo. I am so sick of being at home everyday. I have three kids (10,7,2)and they are wearing me out! It is mostly my two year old....she is as tired of staying at home with me as I am. I can go anywhere with her because I cant pick her up. I still get sore by the end of the day and have some days I feel really tired. This recovery feels like it is taking forever. I have been pretty patient up until the last few days. At least I know Im not the only one. This website is great .... makes me feel normal in this recovery time. Good luck on healing!
Unread 01-24-2006, 08:47 PM

I know it feels like your confinement will be forever, but it won't, and it is so important to rest and not push it. There have been ladies here that just did things anyway and paid later with problems.

Hang in there enjoy the rest time, you will be back to working and doing soon enough.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2006, 09:03 PM

Hi Guys,
Three weeks tomorrow for me also. I thought maybe I was just a "slow healer". My inscision is still very tender and weeping, though not infected. My swelly belly looks like Santa after chowing down his Xmas Eve Cookies and milk. I still have "gas attacks", some are very high up in my tummy, just seem to be rolling around, back and forth with no qiuck exits planned! When I woke up this morning, I had a pain felt like a cross between a charlie horse and a pinched nerve that was shooting up from my left shoulder up the back of my neck. I took 2 Aleve and put a heating pad on it and about an hour later it eased up. I still can not get comfortable enough at night, to get more than two hours sleep. I also take an Ambien before bed, it gets me to sleep, it just doesn't keep me there. I still can't stand ANYTHING touching my tummy..... I feel like screaming or crying most of the day..I'm doing all the so called "right" things, walking, water, rest.... I wish I could see just a sign of some improvement, and get away from being so down..... I see my doctor for my one month check up next Monday.. been making a list of all this little things happening... hopefully he will give me some insights or just a dope slap!
Unread 01-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Hang in there!

Hey ladies!

Let me give you a ray of hope -- I felt the same way at the 4 to 6 wk mark or so, but now I'm 8 wks. out, and I feel MUCH better!!!!

I'm not saying you'll feel like you did prior to surgery, apparently that takes quite a while. But, I don't feel like "Sybil" nearly as much, my energy is slowly getting there, I'm sleeping better, I can wear "real" clothes . . . I feel much closer to "normal" than before. I can't speak to the sexual issues 'cause we're just now wading back into that pool.

I know how miserable you feel, but it will pass! Hang in there!

Hugs!
monami
(TAH/BSO w/lymphadenectomy for cervical ca)
Unread 01-24-2006, 09:28 PM

i am nine months past lvah and eight months past an abdominal hernia. i too thought my swell belly would not go away. i even had to have a ct scan at six months because i could not bend all the way down on my right side. the report showed i still had swelling and that was one of the reasons. your abdominal muscle are also loose so you have to do some walking exercise. i use leslie sansome's walking tapes. i just noticed a couple weeks ago that my belly is finally starting to get smaller. thank god. now i am having palpitations and headaches. i now have to get a stress test, but i am still positive i will get better within the next couple monts. hang in there.
Unread 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM

Hang in there ladies it gets better! I remember feeling like that. I too was trapped because of bad weather and a 45 lb. 4 year old that has to be helped getting strapped in a car seat. I swear each day gets better and in a week or two you will notice a big difference! I had palpatations in the evening a few weeks ago but they are gone now. Don't let sex stories scare you either. I was cleared last Weds. and everything went fine! I did over do it last weekend walking alot and bled a little...so even if you feel fine still take it easy. Better to be safe than sorry! Your done with the worst of it! Patty
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:21 PM

You will start feeling like yourself again at 8 weeks post-op. Before that it's normal to be feeling everyting you are complaining about. Give yourself time to heal & don't be in a hurry to resume all your activities. Remember to take it easy. Have a speedy recovery.
Unread 01-25-2006, 12:04 AM

I, too, would like to know when I will feel better. I am experiencing everything that you girls are experiencing and it really is awful. I have insomnia, headaches, body aches, very swollen belly, back ache, unbelievable anxiety, palpitations etc. I just want to know when I will start to feel some semblance of normalcy.

I had my laparoscopic assisted supracervical hysterectomy done on January 17, 2006. I am only 7 days post op. I know I sound impatient and I guess I am. I was diagnosed with severe endometriosis stage 4 with multiple pelvic adhesions, multiple fibroids and uterine polyps. My doctor also told me that part of my pelvis was frozen. I have a strong family history of cancer.

My mom died of ovarian cancer about 3 years ago. So, the first thing that crosses my mind always is cancer. My doctor told me that I was such a mess that she could not find my left ovary and whoever did my last surgery cut off the circulation to it. So, I believe that my left ovary is dead or at least that is what she implied. She said that the left ovary is tangled up in my intestines along with being attached to the left pelvic wall. God, I can't even think about this because it is actually making me nauseous. I can't beleive there is so much wrong down there. Well, I've tried to have children but that didnt' work out and I beleive that the decision to have a hysterectomy was a wise one!!

I have not gotten any of the pathology back but fear that there may really be some problems. I am praying that I am ok. Cancer sends shivers down my spine!!

Wish everyone a very speedy recovery and can't wait for us all to be feeling much better very, very soon.

If anyone would like to email me privately, you may do so at [email protected]. Thanks just for listening!!

Hugs,
Penny
Unread 01-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks ladies!

Thank you for all your replies.
I just feel useless right now. I am a very active woman. I workout at the gym 3 times a week, I never sit still, I always have something going on and this surgery was just a big change for me.
One good thing, after complaining about not sleeping well, last night I sleep the entire night without waking up to pee 3-4 times. That's the first time I slept all night since my surgery.
This website is truly a god send. Thank you for all your support ladies.
Good luck and God bless to you all!!
Deana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register