Pre-op: Mission Completed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op: Mission Completed Pre-op: Mission Completed

Unread 01-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Pre-op: Mission Completed

Hi,
I went to the city yesterday and had my pre-op. My husband came with me and met the doctor. I took with me the list of questions from this website, highlighted the ones to ask, added a few more.
I am keeping my ovaries and cervix. I am not inclined to take out things that are normal, just in case. Then we went to the hospital/surgery unit for tests. I had an EKG, blood/oxygen level test, they took blood, weighed me(heaven help us) and explained about my hospital stay. I can eat and drink anything I want up to midnight before my surgery. I'll bet you anything they give me an enema before the surgery.
Also they wanted me to stop taking herbs, like the ones that are in my Menopause Support (black cohosh).
I do find it weird that I am only 5#s above my normal weight, but I have gone up two pant sizes because of the fibroids.
Afterwards my DH took me to a chocolatier and bought me supplies for the weekend. I think I have the right to eat chocolate at will for the next three days!!
I just wanted to tell you guys about all of this. Hospitals and doctors vary so much in their requirements.
All of that was okay. I am dreading the two hours before the surgery time, the IV, etc. This weekend I will see two of my four kids. I have the desire to have them close, so it will be good to get some hugs.
More later...
The Next Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2006, 10:50 AM

Hi there, I'm glad everything went well for your pre-op tests and that your DH had a chance to go with you. Mine did not the first time around, and will not be able to this time either... it's wonderful that you have him there as your support.

Good for you bringing all the questions with you! Remember to jot any more down that come to mind in the coming days... I had a slew of them last April that came last minute, lol.

Good luck with your surgery, I'll watch for your update afterwards on how it all went. (((hugs)))
Unread 01-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Gald your pre-op went well. Enjoy your chocolates..you deserve them. I felt so much more at ease after my pre-op was done. Had LAVH Wedsneday am and came home yesterday evening. I am feeling very good all things considered. Minimal pain, have had a headache that hurts more than anything else. YOu will do fine with your surgery and please keep us all updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2006, 01:38 PM

I just came home from my pre-op this afternoon. It was a breeze, just time consuming. Chatted with the doctor, then off to the hospital for the paperwork and blood tests. That was it! 5 sleeps and a wake up - the off to the Castle at 5:30 am for surgery at 7:30. Good luck to all.
Unread 01-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Sounds like everything went well - I'm glad! Isn't chocolate one of the basic food groups?

I found out that IV's are much easier to handle if they are inserted after a local anesthetic is used first on the skin. I've been known to pass out without the local, but with it, I don't feel a thing! Ask for it. I do now whenever I have to have one.

Good luck next week. Take care-
Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register