My Second Opinion! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Second Opinion! My Second Opinion!

Unread 01-28-2006, 02:02 PM
My Second Opinion!

He did give me the option of a vag. hyst. He said he was a little torn because of the slight risk of cancer but he did say it was extremely rare. The other doc. wouldn't even consider doing the vag. hyst. He would and I still can opt. for that and I guess on the off chance it is cancerous he could just then open me up and take out the rest of the stuff? He asked how big my biggest baby was and I said 8lbs 13 oz and he then said again he could do the hysterectomy vaginally. I asked about laparoscopic and he said he wouldn't need the scope to do it. Then he said, "But if you were my sister I'd say let's just do it abdominally and that way the pathologist can look at it right then and there and I can see everything too and make sure it all looks good." So then I agreed. But he told me I can change my mind at any time. Luckily, he did a very good pelvic on me and said my ovaries feel normal.
Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 02:22 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hi Boop38,

You mentioned him not needing a laparoscope. True, not all Drs do laparoscopic surgery. From what I understand, a laparoscope helps give a Dr.a better view during surgery.

And, a TVH (Total Vaginal Hyterectomy) is an excellent surgery type. If you have a very minimal chance of uterine fibroid cancer, that is the less invasive approach for surgery. From what I understand, one can still have a patholgy report done with that type of hyst.

Again, the surgery type is your choice. It is most important for ~you~ to feel comfortable with your decision. Some ladies are the best candidates for abdominal surgeries and some opt to have less invasive surgeries. It all comes down to our personal medical histories and the options available to us.

Mary
Unread 01-28-2006, 04:25 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hi Boop - I have to sorta agree with string bean, I'm having a hyst. on Feb 10th because I don't want to go thru anymore "let's see if this works first" deals. I'm all done. I've dealt with endo pain for many years and have tried everything. I remember thinking years ago that I wish I could just get a hyst and be done with it but went the other route. Now I'm 39 and very ready to be rid of some of these body parts causing me problems. If you're done having children and you've talked it over with your dh or significant other and they feel the same then do what you feel is right. I'm also very obsessive and understand how you're feeling, if someone even hinted to me the word cancer I'd be yelling, get everything out now! I had precancer of the cervix years ago and had a cone biopsy so I will be having my cervix removed also. My dr. offered me the option of just cleaning up my endometriosis but since I don't want to have children I figured, lets get this over and done with once and for all!
From what I've heard and read, a TVH allows you a much faster recovery than a TAH but that choice has to be up to you. If the dr's only reason for a TAH is to look around because of the 1% chance of cancer I personally wouldn't do it. That's ME though.
This dr. sounds better than the first one you went to, more sure of himself. I thought my dr. was a bit overbearing too but after talking to a few women it was easier to understand that really, he's just sure of himself and sure of the solution to your problems which makes him seem overbearing. That's a good thing!!
Best of luck in whatever you decide and we're all behind you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 04:31 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hmm...well he did say I could have a TVH. The only concern he has is that I have only 1 fibroid. He said if I had more than that he wouldn't be as concerned. I guess the idea is that if after the TVH the pathology comes back bad then I am faced with another surgery when I'm not totally healed from the first one. Also he said he had no trouble TRYING to do a TVH but he said sometimes then end up an TAH. I have no other health issues that I am aware of. I am healthy, at a normal weight and I have no history of "female" problems other than what is normal. What a bummer to have to face this now at 38, I thought I was gonna just skate into menopause!
Betty
Unread 01-28-2006, 06:43 PM
My Second Opinion!

Thank you for responding Andreah I've been thinking the same thing about the cancer thing...1% is pretty dang low. He said I could go either way so I have a week and a half to think this over. I know the recovery is a lot harder with a TAH. Thankfully my kids are 18, 16 and 15 and all very independant. My DH is a sweetie and says he will give me all the TLC I need. My time is coming so I know I have to decide soon.
Betty
Unread 01-28-2006, 07:28 PM
My Second Opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boop38
I wish they could biopsy it while it's in there to give me peace of mind but I'm told they can't.
This confuses me. My original diagnosis, through ultrasound and pelvic exam, was fibroids. Since my symptom was constant vaginal discharge and spotting, my doctor did a D&C and hysteroscopy to eyeball things before surgery. He sent a scraping sample to pathology and that's when the cancer was discovered. Didn't change they route of surgery (had to go TAH because my uterus was so enlarged), just the extensiveness of it.
Unread 01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
My Second Opinion!

Betty, it sounds like you'll have plenty pamper the princess help so really the decision is yours. I personally wouldn't want a TAH because of the recovery time. I'm taking off only 2-3 weeks from work and couldn't take off enough to cover myself for a TAH. Besides, I want as little messing around with my tummy as possible. I've had other surgeries and have enough scarring as it is! You may want to read what other women say about their recoveries from TAH and TVH and see what you think. And, if you're worry is concerning having only 1 fibroid I think there's a board dedicated to just women with fibroids, maybe you could go there and ask around? Again, I think there's a board for that but not positive. Good luck!
Unread 01-28-2006, 08:48 PM
My Second Opinion!

Well, I know everyone is different, but my recovery from a TAH has been pretty smooth. A woman I work with had a TVH this summer, and I think she had a rougher time recovering than I did! I was in good shape when I went in, so I was lucky there. I run my own business from home, and I was back at work part-time a week after I returned from the hospital (just not doing any lifting). I'm sure there are worse things than having a TAH. Good luck whatever you decide. My symptoms were not as bad as many I've seen described here (I had large fibroids), but I wanted something definitive done. When my insurance company got the dimensions of my fibroids, they gave me no argument that surgery was the way to go. I am SO pleased with my outcome, I feel as though I'm getting my life back.
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:49 PM
My Second Opinion!

Thanks for your input GFae. I know every woman is different. My wonderful boss already told me getting the time off would be no problem. And I've only had this job 3 month! I was so scared I'd lose it and I really like it. But she said it was no problem that my health was the main concern. So that's good news. I think my doctor's main concern is I have only noticed my uterus enlarged for 2 months. Maybe I should have mentioned that to everyone before. Now, I'm not the most observant of people so maybe it's been growing all along and only now has it become noticable to me. But that is his main concern, that 2 months ago I felt normal. So that is why he is feeling like the TAH is the best way. It's so hard to know what to do. One of my very best gal pals had a TAH 3 years ago and she has told me time and time again that she was very happy with her outcome. I went to see her at the hospital the next day and she was sore but doing awesome. She followed her doc's advice and at 6 weeks went back to work and has had a smooth ride since. Like I said, I know each woman is different but I agree that a TAH doesn't mean you have to be in agonizing pain. At least I hope I can do as well as you and my friend did.
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:54 PM
My Second Opinion!

I don't know what it means that this has happened to you so suddenly. I first knew about my fibroids about 5 years ago. I lost some weight, and they shrank, for a time. Then, even though I maintained my weight loss, they began growing again last year, and this fall, I finally said, that's it! So I had some time to think it over, I didn't have to do anything in a hurry. If your fibroids have grown significantly in just 2 months, that may be an issue, but it sounds as though you can still take some time to decide what is right for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register