My Second Opinion! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Second Opinion! My Second Opinion!

Unread 01-28-2006, 09:55 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hmm...GrnEyedLdy, that confuses me too! Maybe your doc did that because you had symptoms? I have none, just the big uterus. I think I am going to ask him why he can't do what you had done. The rest of my uterus is normal and I have no unusual discharge. Just at the top left nestled all cozy is this 7-9 cm fibroid that I only noticed 2 months ago. You bring up a good point! Thanks!
Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
My Second Opinion!

You mean if you lose weight they shrink?? I've gained some weight in the last year. I wonder if that's why it grew?
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:59 PM
My Second Opinion!

Well, that was my experience. When I talked it over to my GYN, she said this made sense because body fat carries estrogen, and the estrogen stimulates growth of the fibroids. When those suckers shrank, i was very pleased with myself, and I thought I would be able to make it to menopause, but that was nowhere in sight, so I decided to do the surgery. I just turned 48 last month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 10:03 PM
My Second Opinion!

See that makes sense to me too. Cause I know you carry estrogen in fat cells. See this fibroid may have been there for awhile but dumb me I went 1 1/2 year without a pelvic. 6 months ago if I went in like I was supposed to maybe the doctor would have recommended something like a TVH.
P.S I know everyone here likes the TVH more, and I am sure the recovery is shorter, but the idea of being spread that wide open and having my big uterus pulled through a canal that hasn't been opened that wide in 15 years doesn't thrill me either. So even if I choose that option I still will be freaked!!
Unread 01-28-2006, 10:07 PM
My Second Opinion!

Okay, then, probably it was growing and you simply did not feel it. I agree, the idea of having my uterus taken out through my vagina also did not appeal to me too much; I think there's something to be said for the direct approach. I do have a long scar, but I'm putting scar therapy tape on it, and it's fading already. When my surgeon said that it had to be TAH, I simply did not worry about it anymore.
Unread 01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
My Second Opinion!

I don't care about the scar cause you'd never catch me in a bikini anyway! And truth be told I have numerous stretch marks down below my bellybutton from my first pregnancy so another line won't upset me. I do worry about pain and complications. But like I said, I worry, so even if I could do a TVH I'd think of all the horrible associations with that too! All I can do is learn as much as I can to make an informed decision and hope and pray for the best outcome. My insurance immediately authorized my procedure too. I guess we're lucky cause it sounds like a lot of these wonderful gals got the run around by their insurances! Hey thanks for your comments GFae! I think we think alike!
Unread 01-28-2006, 10:21 PM
My Second Opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boop38
I do worry about pain and complications.
Right, that is certainly an issue. I was very lucky, my pain was manageable and I had NO complications, but there's no guarantee of that for anyone. Continue to gather information, ask questions, and you will know what is best for you. I am just grateful this option was available to me, I cannot imagine having gone on like that for another 5 years or however long my period might have lasted. I still cannot imagine where I was hiding that huge uterus, and I am SO glad it's gone!
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:34 AM
My Second Opinion!

Betty,

Wow - you've had alot of info to sort through. From what I've read here, it looks like you've settled on having the hysterectomy but are challenged with the question of what procedure is used and who will do it.

Re the doc - go with the one you have confidence in. In the end, it's most important that you go into this feeling like this is the person who is going to take the best care of your body/health.

Through my two abdominal surgeries (myomectomy and hysterectomy) I learned a few lessons - 1) when a doc won't talk about a procedure, it's often because they don't/won't do it, and 2) if you trust the doc, trust the advice. If you believe that he/she has your best interests in mind then you will want to go with what they are most comfortable with in most cases.

If you decide to go ahead with the procedure - one question - are you comfortable with the date? You'd have to weigh the pros and cons but I would encourage you to give yourself the advantage of time if you feel you need it.
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hmmm..the date? Well there is one concern here. That is that I've only noticed this for 2 months. That is the major concern because obviously if it grew that fast it could be cancer. Would be rare but it could be. Also, I have read about a ton of complications here but in my real life I know at least 5 women who have had this done and none of them have had any long term effects. This is a hard decision to make and I think I would just second guess myself to death if I had more time to think on it. That's just the kind of person I am. I have 3 great kids who are all teenagers now. My dh and I decided before I knew anything about fibroids that we didn't want anymore kids. I am afraid to wait and have the thing grow bigger. I know for sure it wasn't there a year and a half ago at my last pelvic exam. Have you had a good experience with your TAH Livesoul?
Unread 01-29-2006, 01:02 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hi Boop38,

Looking at this from another angle, I have been on Hyster Sisters almost two years now and I have seen many ladies post that they wished they could have been a candidate for a less invasive hyst and they weren't. Many would have liked to have been in your shoes with a ~choice~ to have a less invasive or a more invasive hyst.

That being said, I reiniterate what I posted in an earlier reply. It is very important for a Hyster Sister to trust their Dr. and to also ~know~ the Dr's medical training. In my opinion and in my personal experience, a Dr. will generally recommend a hyst type that they can perform. And to me, asking questions of a Dr. and getting them answered in a straight forward manner is as important as trust and medical training.

Best wishes again. Your thread has been very interestng since it really brings up the decision making process involved in having a hsyt.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register