My Second Opinion! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Second Opinion! My Second Opinion!

Unread 01-29-2006, 03:58 PM
My Second Opinion!

I noticed women have spoken about oestrogen here but no-one has spoken about progesterone.

Fibroids grow because of oestrogen excess, no matter if you lose or put on weight this could be the same as your progesterone level drops it is too low to balance the oestrogen. There is another option and that is having hormone therapy and if your doctor says oestrogen, all I can say is he/she needs to go back to medical school and quickly. Progesterone is used in hormone therapy to shrink fibriods and stop bleeding not oestrogen, this will only make it worse.

There are intra-uterine decives which release progesterone only, there is the mini-pill (progestin only). As for the women you speak to how friendly are you with them? Are they the same age? Have you spoken about sex? Have you asked how they orgasm? When did they have their surgery?

A hysterectomy has many, many long term complications that don't show up immedidately. I am nearly 4 years out from mine and have many problems, no libido, trouble with orgasm, nipple sensitivity. These problems have only gotten worse as time goes. I have found through experience many women are not willing to or are embarrassed to tell it exactly how it is and I know there have been women on this site you have expeienced this as well.

I agree with Lucille's post and my advice would be to get a third opinion or at least ask your current doctor why he/she is not trying hormone treatment. I would also advice you to look on the internet at fibroid treatment and educate yourself fully. For some reason this surgery is downplayed by many women and the medical community when it is in fact very serious and has life altering consequences to it.

Please think about even reading about hormone treatment, in fact any treatment before a hyst. If I had my time over again, knowing what I know now nearly 4 years after, I would have ran screaming from the room when a hyst was mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 04:57 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hi Aus Chick,
Sorry to hear things have turned out so badly for you These women that I've talked to in my "real" life are good friends and I have asked them the MOST intimate questions. And fortunately for them they haven't been as effected by their hyterectomies. One lady, my good friend and neighbor, tells me that she regrets not keeping her cervix because she missed the "bumping" she used to feel when making love to her husband. Other than that all my friends are able to orgasm, one tells me it changed but she still enjoys it. The reason I'm concerned, and my doctor as well, is that I felt this mass only 2 months ago and that it seems to have grown quite large, fairly quickly. I know there is only a slight chance it could be cancer, but I am an obsessive person and I know if I take the "wait and see" approach I will never get any rest and drive all those around me crazy wondering if this thing is cancer. I can live with the sexual dysfunction if that is what I too experience. It will be sad for me but I have so many other things in my life and marriage that make me happy I will just have to focus on those things. And I also am aware that other ladies have had other side effects that are life changing too. I can only hope and pray that I will be like my friends and come out okay. My doctor did say I could try the hormones to shrink it but he also said that in most women who are my age as soon as they take you off the medication they tend to grow back. And then what if I take my time messing around with this and all the while it is cancer and has now spread. Then I truely would be sorry. If this was something that wasn't noticed only 2 months prior and was slow growing I think I would probably feel differently. Thank you, everyone, for your support and advice. Coming here and meeting all of you wonderful ladies has sure helped me out alot!
Betty
Unread 01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
My Second Opinion!

HI Boop38,

Before I knew of them, my 2 large fibroids were not causing many symptoms also. At the time I was diagnosed, I had not noticed anything different other then I had more bladder incontinence, my periods were getting heavier (not floods as some ladies post) and I noticed some pelvic pressure. I just thought it was from being in my mid 40's and my menustral cycle was changing. It was a ~~shock~~ to find out I had fibroids. I too thought why??? did I not realize it sooner?? It was ~after~ I was diagnosed that I had a lot more symptoms.

From what I have read about fibroids, they can cause different symptoms for different people. Some ladies can notice a lot of changes with smaller fibroids and some ladies can have larger fibroids and not see much of a difference in their health. Or vice versa. So, I think that you not noticing your fibroid until 2 months before you were diagnosed, can mean you were having little or no symptoms. Fibroids can really just creep up on us.

So, just some more discussion info. Good thread so far.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 05:44 PM
My Second Opinion!

Betty, what it all comes down to is we're all here to help you however we can but you (and I'm sure you know this) have to make the final decision. If you feel more comfortable with a TAH which it sounds like you're leaning towards then go that way. You're instincts are what you should be listening to. Definately. My instincts pointed me towards laporascopy as I'd had two of them before and the recovery time was super quick for me. When I had my gall bladder out they barely got me out of surgery and I was trying to get off the table because I had to pee! Nurses were yelling at me, I had blood running down my belly, but I felt that good, like nothing had even happened to me. I honestly could have gone to work the next day, there was no pain. But, everyone is so different. You just never know. That's why I say you need to go with however you feel comfortable. If that's TAH then so be it. Same thing with the date...and I have to agree with you there, once I was told it was probably a good option to go with I would have went the following day to have it if I could. I don't like waiting around and thinking too much about the bad things that could happen, etc.
I too am ready to deal with a bad sex life if need be. Right now it's pretty bad anyways. I have no libido, don't want to be touched, everything hurts and I'm tired all the time. I can't see how it could be any worse with the surgery but I'm prepared if it is. I'm hoping the surgery will give me my sex life back but I'm not counting my chickens at this point. No need in getting disappointed!
Ok, babbling here! Whatever you decide I'm sure we'll all be there with you... chin up!
Unread 01-29-2006, 05:47 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hi girls,
I am having a TAH in March for a large fibroid,due to the size this is my only option,my doctor insisted on an MRI scan to see the type and location of this beastie,I was just wondering, do any of you know if the MRI would show if there was any malignancy as my doc seemed to put a lot of faith into this type of scan. Love Emel
Unread 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM
My Second Opinion!

I don't believe an MRI would show malignancy, I'm pretty sure they need a tissue sample to make the determination. You might ask the doc why he/she wants MRI as opposed to ultrasound, which was what I had before my surgery. The fibroids could be felt on pelvic exam, but they needed the ultrasound to get the actual dimensions.
Unread 01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
My Second Opinion!

Hi GFae,
I had an ultrasound first and the consultant said he wanted more info as to the type of fibroid it was,and if there was any pelvic infection, up until then I did'nt know there were different types! also the ultrasound didn't give him a clear indication as to whether the fibroid was just in the uterus wall or if it had come through to the endometrium.I don't know if the docs in the UK are very cautious and more inclined to use an MRI, but I've known loads of UK ladies sent down the MRI route, Love Emel
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:45 AM
My Second Opinion!

Hi Betty, I just thought of something and don't know why it didn't come to me sooner. If you're ONLY reasons for having a TAH is the possibility of cancer, why don't you ask the dr. if you can have a CA-125 test? I just got my results and am well in the normal range. A ca-125 is a blood test and it shows the possibility of cancer antibodies (don't quote me, not sure of the right wording..I just call it a cancer test) in your blood. It relates mainly to female cancers from what my dr. told me. He insisted I have the test before the hysterectomy. Not sure if that would help you or not but thought I would suggest it!
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
My Second Opinion!

Andreah...what a great idea! And I was wondering if there was some kind of test to detect cancer other than a biopsy. I am going to call him and ask him about this! Thanks so much!
Betty
Unread 01-30-2006, 01:23 PM
My Second Opinion!

You're VERY welcome, you've been on my mind alot. I'm so glad I remembered it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register