Retrocele-need Some Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Retrocele-need Some Help Retrocele-need Some Help

Unread 01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

Hello to all, it's been almost 6 yrs since my hyst, and I am back to get some much needed information.

About 9 months after my hyst, I started having an annoying burning type pain near the tailbone, as if the tendon or ligament was hurting.....I was also experiencing really bad contstipation....went to dr's, and they didn't see anything that could be going on...ran tests, etc....they even found a benign tumor in my S1 nerve root, thinking that was the answer.....however, almost 6 yrs later, the pain, burning in nature in the same spot is still there and at times worse....

My original theory of a rectocele is back because of the constipation and now, I can feel, when I am about to have a BM, that it is bulging into my vagina.....

I apologize for the graphic nature of this post....but my question is has anyone with a rectocele ever experience any kind of pulling pain on hip ligament or muscles? Also, I am afraid to once again go to the dr with my theory, but will have to as this situation is getting worse.....I lost my job 3 yrs ago because of the pain....and had not been back to the gyno for about 3 1/2 yrs due to how much discomfort

I just realized that in order to have BM sometimes I am having to go back to the suppositories, something must be going on....

Can someone please tell me of their symptoms and experience? Is it normal for women to feel BM down near their vagina? Again sorry this is graphic.....I am not sure how else to explain it....thanks for anything anyone can tell me.....I have lots of questions also about how to go about finding a good dr. ....Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Forgot to mention

Oh i forgot to mention that the benign tumor was removed over 2 yrs ago....with no complications, under than that burning pain near tailbone never left.....which I am now convinced had nothing to do with the tumor...thanks betty
Unread 01-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

Hello BettyJ!
Welcome to this forum...you will hear from some amazing and well informed women! As you can see by my signature, I had a few "cele" problems. The cystocele and enterocele were my biggest problem, according to my uro/gyn, but to tell you the truth it felt like everything was buldging into my vagina, I couldn't tell the difference. The best advice I can give you is to see a Uro/gynocologist. They have additional training in the diagnosis and treatment of WOMENS urological/gynecological issues. Please seek out a uro/gyn and go for a visit! Prolpases are very common in women who have had hysterectomies and yes, I had hip and lower back pain from my prolapses! Take care and let us know how you make out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

Thank you for the reply, what is an enterocele? is that where the vagina collapses?

is there any sure fire way for someone with prolapse to tell that there is a prolapse? I went to a general/bowel surgeon within 6 months of my worst symptoms, and he said I had no prolapse....so you can imagine the fear I now have of trying to find a dr that will be able to properly diagnose me......

Unfortunately, this area does not have a lot of different uro/gyn's....I went to the one in the phone book years ago, and all the tests she did was inconclusive as well......

I may try to find some prolapse posts in the archives to see if I can get any info, but please anyone who has any info, please feel free to contact me <admin note: email address removed, please use the email/pm option in a member's profile>I am not sure why my email is not allowing me to see responses to this post.....

thanks again.....Betty
Unread 01-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

Hi BettyJ!
I don't get notification either, to responses...has to be the site.
Please get a uro/gyn...go to America Urogynecologic Society and click on find a physician. Also, call the gyn's in the phone book and ask the receptionist if they have a doctor in their practice that is a uro/gyn. Don't fall for "they all can do that"...uro/gyn's have additional education & training in womens incontinence and prolapse issues...they are worth their weight in gold!!
A general/colo-rectal surgeon can't really diagnose prolapses problems because by law (at least in PA, anyway) only a GYN or OB doctor can insert anything into the vagina. My uro/gyn was able to diagnose my cystocele on physical exam, but when he did the vaginal ultrasound he found the rectocele, enterocele (small intestine bulging into the vagina) and my vaginal vault needed to be repositioned. He did all four repairs at the same time. It did require a 2 night hospital stay and 4 weeks off from work. I have never felt better in my life....I have no more lower back and hip pain, not to mention that horrible "something forever stuck in my vagina" feeling is gone!! Please look for a uro/gyn again, especially since it's been a few years since your last search...take care and let us know how you make out!
Unread 01-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

To get email generated responses to your post you must have the option checked in your profile. If you check the option you will receive an email with a link to your post whenever someone responds. If you have this option checked and are not receiving an email, you're email address may be incorrect, you can contact adm[email protected] if you are having a problem.
Unread 01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

I had a vaginal vault prolapse with enterocele, cystocele and rectocele also. There was definitely a huge bulge in my vagina from the grade 3 rectocele and cystocele..I would not have known I had the enterocele had my Urogynecologist not told me. It depends on what grade rectocele you have as to how many and how severe your symptoms are. A Urogynecologist will be able to examine you and tell you if you have a rectocele and how bad it is. A rectocele will certainly cause problems such as constipation and heaviness and many women do have back pain. A urogyn will be able to diagnose you and make recommendations. My whole pelvic floor was in sad shape...2 large babies and a vaginal hyst. I am in complete agreement with huntingmoon about seeing a urogynecologist... without a doubt they are the most qualified to fix these problems. Mine was extremely thourough and was able to do all repairs in one surgery as well. I hope you find a good urogyn and find answers to your pain.
Sherry
Unread 01-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

dear betty,

i had an abdominal hyst 8/20/01. since then i've suffered w/chronic abdominal, hip, and back pain. my gynocologist and gastrointerologist both informed me that i have a small rectocele; however, i am not able to "evaculate" w/o having to "splint."

i take 2 tablespoons of metamucil every morning before i eat breakfast. it usually helps w/constipation issues, but i also take medications to mitigate post-hyst nerve damage, and they also slow the bowel.

based on experience, i'm starting to suspect that my bladder has prolapsed and/or my motor nerves are impaired. i wet myself w/very little provocation, and lately, embarrassing as this is, i've been wetting the bed during the night w/some frequency.

i feel your pain. you aren't imagining things. get ye to a uro-gyn. i've moved since i last saw my gyn, and i'm hoping i can find one close to home.

in spirit,

fig
Unread 01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Retrocele-need Some Help

Huntingandmoon, Sounds like you had a really good
Dr., I have heard of so many women having these
surgeries that continue to have problems. I suspect
that I have a rectocele but have already had 2 surgeries
one being an enterocele repair, and that is fixed and
he said I didn't have a rectocele at the time which has
been a little over a year ago, and I continue to have
pain but I am afraid to have more surgery, afraid that
I will still have problems, and have more created by
another surgery, like a bladder problem, and that is one thing that is doing good at
this time. I knew of a lady that flew from out of state
to go to a renouned Uro/Gyn and she is still having problems, but you sound fabulous, I have been in pain
now for 5 yrs, I think if they cut on me again I will just
have another pain to deal with.
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Retrocele-need Some Help

Hi slt!

You are still having pain and are afraid to go to the doctor for fear of needing more surgery....I can relate and I don't blame you, but perhaps I can help you out.
Please interview ONLY a uro/gyn....when you call to make an appointment tell the receptionist that you want only to speak with the doctor about your problems. This will spare you an exam (which will make you more relaxed) and you can tell him/her exactly what's going on and what worries you. Be prepared to have to bring your previous medical records (some offices want them before the appt). If you have to interview 2 or 3 doctors, so be it, but at least you'll be able to decide ahead of time which doctor you think can help you and which one has a personality that you can work with! Please take care of yourself- you shouldn't have to live in pain - and let us know how you make out.. PS my uro/gyn isn't world renowned...but he's a treasure to me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register