Anyone with food & bowel issues... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with food & bowel issues... Anyone with food & bowel issues...

Unread 01-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone with food & bowel issues...

Hi, Ladies - I haven't been here in a while since I thought I was past my endo issues. Looks like that might be back and another surgery may be on the horizon, but I am posting about something else now. I am reading in lots of posts about people having trouble with different foods or nausea with vitamins and then also bowel issues like diarrhea or constipation. I wanted to mention again about a disease I was diagnosed with called Celiac. It is when a person is intolerant to gluten (you must avoid wheat, rye, barley, and oats). It can cause a myriad of symptoms. My advice to anyone having ongoing food and bowel troubles is to have the serology done to check for Celiac. It affects everyone differently, so while one person will have trouble going to the bathroom, another may go all the time. When you ingest gluten, it causes the villi in your small intestines to be damaged and you cannot digest food properly. You end up getting malnourished and can be lacking in lots of vitamins and minerals even though you think you are getting them through your food and supplements. If you google Prometheus Labs (they're in CA) and go to the Gastroenterology section they have a Celiac Serology test. It is one of the most reliable labs in the country for this test. You can call or e-mail and have it sent to you and your doctor just has to write the order for the test. Bring the kit to the lab, they'll draw your blood and mail it to Prometheus and your doctor will get the results in a week. Celiac is very, very often overlooked or misdiagnosed and the longer you have it, the more problems you can get. Seems like many women have been diagnosed and have lots of female problems and Celiac, too. The lack of proper digestion and absorbtion can affect your other organs. Just thought I'd mention this in case it could help anyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Lisa,
I am one who has many food and bowel issues. I've been tested for Celiac's and tests came out okay. If you have an issue with your bowels and suspect Celiac's your doctor can request to do some testing, which will be covered by insurance.

I do know though that my body does not like wheat products so I stay away from them and try to follow a semi gluten free diet.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Unread 01-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Hi, Kim - I recognize you from your picture from a few years ago! I read many of your posts. I hope that you are doing well! I was diagnosed with Celiac in April 2004 and have been gluten-free since then. It has helped for sure, but I am suspicious my endo might be back based on some symptoms I have now. Either that or another darned autoimmune disorder. Once you have one, you are prone to others. I'm glad that you have discovered that wheat is a problem and are avoiding it. I believe I have some other food issues and am going to see about getting some more testing done. Speaking of being gluten-free...I think I'll go enjoy a delicious Pamela's Chunky Choc. Chip cookie! Yum, yum!! Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Lisa,
Pamela's stuff is really yummy! I can't eat eggs either so I found an egg replacer and made some of her brownies. I have the pancake mix and cookie mix sitting in my pantry.

I have other food issues besides the wheat issue, I was diagnosed with many food allergies. The list is quite lengthy, makes eating a challenge, but I've learned to be creative.

Unread 01-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Kim,
I have liked her pancake and baking mix, too and I have the brownie mix but have been too lazy to make it. I am going to see someone on Monday about additional food allergies because I believe I have trouble with lots of other things. I think dairy might be a problem as well as corn. I already know I can't do soy. I will probably give up the pancake mix, but right now I don't make them often, so it hasn't been too much of a problem. I used to have a lot of trouble with eggs and I didn't eat them for a few years and now I can eat them if I don't eat too many and don't eat them every day. Of course, after Monday, I suppose that may change!

I have a question for you...I'm going to post it, but thought I'd ask you while I'm writing. Do you know if there are hormones that you can be given to keep endo in control when you only have your ovaries? I know that with a uterus, they can put you on the pill, but I wasn't sure about once that is removed. I'm afraid to do one of the things like Lupron because I already have a lot of excess hair and troubles like that and am afraid that will really mess me up. Not sure if I will just have to get the ovaries removed and go no hormones for a while or not. Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register