Fear of Melanoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of Melanoma Fear of Melanoma

Unread 04-18-2001, 06:04 AM
Fear of Melanoma

Hi Sisters,
I am scheduled for my TAH/BSO on May 1st. I don't hardley know what to expect. I am only 41 years old. In December I had skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma) removed. I been back to the skin doctor about every month since and he has removed many dysplastic nevus (pre-cancer to melanoma) spots. I went yesterday again and he removed another that he is concerned is melanoma, he want know until the biopsy comes back. I feel from the way he acted that he does think its melanoma. I fear that the cancer either the one I had before or another one has spread to my ovarys. I have stopped having periods, my last was February 20th. I keep thinking I'll start but no sign. Has anyone with any female cancer stopped having periods because of it ? Its really hard right now for me, I have so much on my mind this is alot to go through at one time. By the way I do have small cyst on ovary and small fibroids, I would not think that would be causing the problem, from what I read that makes you bleed heavy. Could my ovarys have shut down ? If so why do they just stop ? Thanks for listening somethings I just don't want to talk to with family or friends.
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 02:13 PM
Lots of reasons

Hi

I'm sorry for your difficult situation. Of course you're anxious. But try not to figure everything out! There are so many reasons your periods could stop. A friend of mine went through menopause like that - just never had another period. You have a lot going on and it's going to be awhile before you know the answers to your questions. I hope you can focus on each day, and try not to worry too much about the days ahead. I guess that's what they call 'one day at a time?'

My thoughts are with you.
Unread 04-18-2001, 03:46 PM
Fear of Melanoma

I can understand your fears. I was diagnosed with ovarian ca in July 2000 and the waiting can be excruciating. However, be assured that your doctor is doing the right thing and that hopefully it was caught in its early stages. I know it is hard to think positive when so many negative things are going on, but even if it is malignant, there are many wonderful therapies right now for cancer. Also, stress can cause you to stop menstruating, along with many other reasons. Actually, I had very heavy periods before I was diagnosed. It is so normal to be scared and if you feel like crying, just go ahead - it can be very cleansing (I know - I've done my share!) Like Arctic said, take it one day at a time and if need be, one hour at a time, one minute at a time, etc...

You will be in my prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 06:56 PM
Fear of Melanoma

Hi Donnan, would it be possible to talk to the doctor about your concerns of cancer? This may put your mind at rest. It is sure hard to be patient about things when your mind is doing 100 miles an hour. Do as arctic says and take one day at a time ( of course I should do this as well ). Good luck with it all x x
Unread 04-19-2001, 05:11 AM
Fear of Melanoma

Try your best to stop worrying, because you will not change what the doctor will tell you and you will only make yourself sick in the process. I know that it is hard not to worry, but every wait is difficult and you need to keep yourself busy until you speak to the doctor. Try not to let your mind run wild. One day at a time is the best motto....whatever the problem is, you take things one day at a time and do what is needed to get yourself well again. As for the ovaries shutting down, that could be a number of things. Some women do go thru menopause at an early age, and others are later. It could just be your body on it's own schedule. So please, try to relax and keep busy for now. We are all here for you! Type away!!
Unread 04-19-2001, 06:04 AM
Thanks Sisters

I will try not to worry. I guess since I'm getting so close to time for the TAH/BSO. I'm really going through a lot of stress, my mind is going a lot of directions and its really hard concentrating on anything. I have two children, daughter 15 and son 21. My son is mentally retarded, so I have to be around along time for him. I want know the skin biopsy until around Monday or Tuesday of next week and I go to my gyn on Monday and to the hospital for pre-registration also for all the lab stuff they do, it makes me wonder even if I should bother with all this until I know the results of the biopsy. Thanks so much for your replies. I will be glad when the TAH/BSO is over, I just hope I have the strength to deal with whatever I have to. Like you said one day at a time, that's what I'm going to do, no need to worry about something I don't have to yet. Please pray for me.

THANKS AGAIN,
Donna N.
Unread 04-19-2001, 01:59 PM
Fear of Melanoma

Donna, I will keep you in my prayers for sure. Just one thing. You say that you hope you have the strength to deal with whatever you have to. I use to say the same thing. I would always say I just don't know how I would cope if I ever got cancer. WELL , now I have it and some how you just find the inner strength and you cope. (Although I have lots of down days and I am allowed to have them.) The way that I cope so well is by having alot of help from all these girls here, a supportive family and a big prayer chain. love to you Robyn x x
Unread 04-23-2001, 05:21 AM
Fear of Melanoma

{{{Donna}}}

I can understand your stress over this. I have to visit my dermatologist every year to have all my "moles" checked out because skin cancer runs wild in my family.

I went a few weeks after my hysterectomy to have a few of those nevus' removed. And asked if the two cancers were related. He assured me that one had nothing to do with the other.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-23-2001, 07:41 AM
Fear of Melanoma

{{Donna}}

I'm sure your nervous, you have every right to be. Cancer in any form is scary. I also wanted to let you know that prior to being diagnosed last April, my periods were fairly normal, at least they were "my" normal.

Has the Dr ordered any additional testing done to help rule out things and/or ease your fears? I know you're getting close to your castle date but maybe they can do some more testing if they haven't already.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for your upcoming surgery. Please try to stay calm and deal with the surgery first. You've got all of us there with you thinking good thoughts.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 04-24-2001, 06:22 AM
Test

Hi Vicki,

The doctor did do an ulrasound and uterine biopsy. That is the only test he has done. The ultra sound is what showed the fibroids and cyst. The doctor did say that the cyst and fibroids were small, but they are causing me period problems. I went yesterday for my pre-op appointment, Monday I go to the hospital for the pre-admit and lab work, the doctor did not order a EKG or anything else. Thanks for your reply.

Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register