VitaminD deficency can cause Breast Cancer/Colan Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

VitaminD deficency can  cause Breast Cancer/Colan Cancer VitaminD deficency can cause Breast Cancer/Colan Cancer

Unread 01-28-2006, 10:13 PM
VitaminD deficency can cause Breast Cancer/Colan Cancer

hello, I usually hang out over in the hormone jungle. I hope this post is in the right place, if not, I'm sure one of our mods will find it a "home" .
I have been seeing a doc for high blood pressure and diabetes and high lipids. I'm on meds for all of this. I have a terrible problem with fluid retention. I just swell all the time. My doc thinks it is something called cyclic edema (edema that cycles, ) It is something ladies get, hormone related, or so the doc says. so i'm in seeing a consult regarding his. He asked me if I go outside much. I said no, b/c i'm disabled and stay in a lot. I also have melanoma on both sides of the family, so try to stay out of the sun. He told me I have serious Vit D deficency. He has started me on very high potency supplements. He said it was very dangerous b/c there is an increase in breast cancer and colan cancer from this deficency. It also causes head sweating, muscle weakness, and irritability, restlessness. Of course,in children rickets, and in adults,Osteomalica. He said that it it being seen more in the usa b/c we have been told for years to stay out of the sun or always wear sunscreen, and our RDA for vit d is very low. Few people take vit d. They figure the few minutes they get in the sun is enough. However, as you age your body becomes less able to convert to vit d . So older people, homebound people, etc are at big risk . He said that in areas of the world wher there is less sunshine, cancer rates increase.
I was so upset, imagine. I'm in the usa, and i'm walking around with a vitamin deficency. I could have developed breast cancer, and then would have blamed the hormones i take.
I just wanted to share this with you. You do need sunlight, without a sunscreen for some time each day. Even breast feed babies have to receive vit d.
Best,
vali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 06:51 AM

Hi, Vali -
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Thank you so much for posting this info about Vitamin D. You probably already know this since you are a Type 1 Diabetic, but there is an autoimmune disease that is seen a lot with Type 1 called Celiac. Celiac's are intolerant to gluten which is found in wheat, rye, and barley, and most believe oats should be avoided also. If you have this disease, gluten will damage your small intestines and cause you to not be able to absorb things properly and be lacking in important vitamins. The idea is that once you go gluten-free in your diet that your intestines will heal and you will be able to absorb better. I just thought I would mention this in case you had not been tested for it. Feel free to post back and let me know if you want any more info about Celiac or about testing for it. Your post makes me realize I really need to get back to taking my Vit D supplements!!! Thanks, again!
Unread 01-29-2006, 07:43 AM

Good Morning Vali,
I'm glad I happened to be browsing this a.m. and found your post to be interesting. I learned something new today. thank you. I never knew there were symtoms to a vit d deficiency.
as a matter of fact, this is the 2nd time in a week where sunshine and how important it is and can even help woman who are menopausal to sleep better.
because woman who are pre and menopausal the estrogen and progesrine? decline, there for effecting our sleep pattern. I found after having my hysterectomy and going into surgical menopause effected my sleep asap. I wasn't put on estrogen immediatly and was trying to do without having to depend on it.
to get to my point, I read that having sun touch our skin for at least 20 min. a day was found to help woman sleep better.
now I'm seeing that being in the sun is even of more importance than I thought because lack of it now only proves other medical issues can arrive without our precious sun.
we don't have to over do it like some sun goddesses do.
thanks for sharing that helpful info with us all.
you have instilled motivation in me to make a point in gettting outside more often.
Linda S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2006, 04:46 PM

hi linda, Lisa
thanks so much for your posts. I have never given vit d a second thought before my doctor told me I was very deficient in it. I have always took for granted that if I stepped out in the sun for a few, that would be enough. Not so, says my doc.
Lisa, I'm type 2 diabetes.
I did more reading about this, and it seems that if you have anything that disturbs food absorption, you can be at risk. The book I got this info from mentioned gallbladder problems. I had mine removed in 94 and ever since have had diarrhea and cramps. The docs all tell me that there is little they can do about it. I try and not eat fatty foods and take a med for it if it gets really bad. But it may be part of the reason I have this deficency.
My doc has been telling me for years to get out in the sun more, b/c it helps you sleep better at night. But now I have even more reason to get out in the sun. I stayed out of it b/c of many reasons. The main one was I have melanoma on both sides of my family. So I thought staying out of the sun was good. But from the reading i'm doing, sounds like I will need to get a lot more sun than I do now(none))
This is all very interesting to me. I was very surprised to learn that breast and colan cancer are linked to a Vit. D deficency.
I'm learnig something new each day too.

best
vali

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register