Silly Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silly Question Silly Question

Unread 04-18-2001, 09:23 AM
Silly Question

I just found out my surgery date yesterday, and my head is just swimming with all the things I need to do before the big day, but I am wondering, should I get a comfortable sweat suit for the trip home, or is it realistic to expect to fit in my regualr clothes? The surgery is on June 11, (LAVH), he said I can expect one overnight stay, and be released the following afternoon if everything goes alright. I know June is a little warm for sweats, and I don't know what made me think of that with everything else that's on my mind. How did you all do after surgery, did you bring something big and comfy to wear, or did your regualr clothes fit o.k.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 09:31 AM
Silly Question

Well, I can tell you what I got my mom thanks to the advice of the sisters. I understand the belly is swollen afterwards quiet a bit. In your case I don't know how much swelling you'll have since you are going for LAVH. Anyway, I went to Target and got XL pants (part of sleeping wear), the kind with a string not elastic. For the hospital I got her a big night shirt/gown since she does not like pj (I though just as well, belly will be comfy)
You should also take a small pillow with you to protect the belly from the seat-belt.
Good luck. I'm sure others will be more help!
Unread 04-18-2001, 09:54 AM
Silly Question

I can you tell you what I did. I wore a pair of large, lightweight sweatpants and a large sweatshirt to the castle with the idea of wearing them back home.

I had a radical TAH BSO and had to come home with a suprapubic catheter. I came home 48 hrs after surgery and there was no way I felt like changing into street clothes. So, even though it was March and still pretty chilly, I ended up wearing my extra-large nightshirt, bathrobe and slip-on slippers home. Truthfully, I couldn't have cared less if anybody else saw me or what they thought! My roomate also had a TAH and went home about an hour before me. She was practically crying at the thought of getting dressed. I told her what my decision was and she went home the same way!

I'd rather have had the fashion police after me than the pillow police!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2001, 10:08 AM
Silly Question

There are NO silly questions! I haven't had my surgery yet, but even now if I don't feel good or if I am in pain (i.e., my back) I want to be as comfortable as I can. I'd plan for loose clothing just in case. I'm wearing sweats in and out. If it is really warn outside or I really don't want to wear sweats, I'm wearing my hospital gown and bathrobe home--I'll be going straight to bed when I get home anyway.
Unread 04-18-2001, 10:46 AM
Silly Question

I wore pajama pants (as the kids call 'em). You could probably wear loose fitting shorts or a dress in June, no?
Whatever you do, you won't want to wear anything fitted at that point. I also had a LAVH and even though you won't have a big external incision, your bottom will probably feel a bit poofy much like post-delivery! I think from all the stretching that took place. Best of luck to ya!
Unread 04-18-2001, 11:28 AM
Silly Question

I just had my surgery a week ago. I packed a tote bag and I had a TVH. I wore home what I wore in. although I could have worn my robe and Hyster Sis tee shirt home. I found some very soft lounging pants with elastic waist on the sale rack in the lingerie dept and bought them for $7. Wore them and our tee shirt. I noticed that of the 10 of us in admitting that morning only one lady showed up in her jammies and robe. The rest of us were in casual easy off/on stuff.

I was fortunate and did not need to buy extra big panties for a swelly belly afterward. I had some extra big panties already and they worked fine. I actually didn't notice having a swelly belly.

Your needs will be minimal with only a one night stay. I wore my non-skid slip on bedroom slippers home so I didn't have to struggle or bend to get into the shoes I wore in.

Hope this helps. Good luck and hugs!
Miranda
Unread 04-18-2001, 01:31 PM
Silly Question

Just remember to wear something that is not tight. I wore stretch pants there and home. I was thinking more of the staples and didn't even THINK about the swelling! My roomate, however, wore jeans to the hospital and when she got dressed to go home she couldn't even pull the zipper up! So she had to wear them unzipped! I think she was more embarrassed trying to be "fashionable" than I was with my loose fitting stretch pants!
Unread 04-18-2001, 01:46 PM
Silly Question

Ouch!! Just the thought of jeans right after surgery hurts now!!

I think you would love to have some roomy clothes (non-confining dresses, drawstring or elastic light-weight pants or shorts) handy for when you arrive home. I had a sweatsuit packed for the ride home from the hospital, but was more comfortable in my pjs (drawstring waist) and robe/slippers.

Best wishes to you...

HHLady
Unread 04-18-2001, 01:51 PM
Silly Question

Hi WLady, welcome to Hyster Sisters. This is the right place to ask question, get answers and wonderful support.

The only silly question is the one you didn't ask.

I had a TVH but was scheduled for a TAH/BSO and I DID plan for the swelly belly: bought extra large panties and brought very loose garments to the hospital. Turns out that even with my swelly belly, my belly was much smaller than my fibroid-filled belly. So the panties were too big and loose and I couldn't wear them.

I think that a good ROT is to expect SOME swelling and to bring loose-fitting. I couldn't wear dresses or skirts out of the castle, because my surgery was in December and I live in Canada, and nylons were really uncomfortable. I wore loose fitting pants (not sweats) and a loose fitting top.

The thing is, for me, that even though my tummy was smaller, I couldn't wear anything tight or stiff (like jeans) for 2 or 3 months because it was just too uncomfortable. Furthermore, you have to remember that you won't feel like bending and tugging on clothes after abdominal surgery.

If you go to the pull-down menus on the bottom of the Hyster Sisters Home Page, you will find a lot of valuable information. You might want to check out an item called: Carol's Hospital List in the Ladies in Waiting section.
Unread 04-18-2001, 02:01 PM
Silly Question

During my pre-op appt, I was advised to wear loose-fitting and comfortable clothes the day of my coronation and upon discharge. I wore my loose-fitting pull-up cotton blend pants as well as a loose cotton pullover top to and from the castle. When I was getting dressed to leave the castle, my swelly belly caused me to look like I was about 4 months pregnant, yet my pants still fit me nonetheless. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing night clothes when I left the hospital!

Don't take tight-fitting clothes (not even your tightest or loosest pair of jeans!) , as your abdomen would be too swollen to be able to fit into them properly when you get ready to leave the castle. In some women, their swelly bellies make them look about 4-5 months pregnant at the time of discharge until the swelling on their insides starts healing up and their swelly bellies are reduced.

Sweat pants are great as long as they're loose-fitting. Same with sweat shirts. Tight-fitting sweats are a no-no.

And BTW, I was able to fit into 4 pairs of jeans at only 39 days (5 weeks and 4 days) post-op! I still haven't tried to put on the rest of them but I will try when I'm 2 months post-op. *keeps my fingers crossed*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register