Endometriosis or adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometriosis or adhesions? Endometriosis or adhesions?

Unread 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Endometriosis or adhesions?

Hi, Had my hyst. 10 months ago and since then have had many problems with pain ,infection and my bladder. When to see the gynaecologist to-day who is going to do a laparoscopy to see if he can see what the problem is.He thinks it may be adhesions or the endo. again,although. he has said that he may find nothing at all!! I'm in bits! I know that a laparoscopy is no big deal butthis will be the second lot of surgery since the op. I think that I'm more scared that he wont find anything than if he does find something and can put it right. Has anybody out there any experience of adhesions? Has anybody had endometriosis that has survived the hyst?
Don't know if this was the right place to post this thread but hope that somebody out there can help!!

Take Care,

Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Oh Ann! I know how you feel. I am in the same predicament. Only I am just 5 1/2 months post op. But I am having increasing pain in my lower abdomen, and bowel movements have again become excruciating to where I have to clench my teeth and grip something. And no, it isn't constipation. The stools are soft, so I know that isn't the problem. And now I have nausea all the time too. I have been taking estrogen replacement since day 1, so I am worried that this may be aggravating some leftover endo. But I dread the thought of another surgery, even if it is only minor to figure out this pain. It could be anything. Who knows. Did you have ultrasounds, ct scans, and a colonoscopy first to rule out anything obvious? I may try that first myself.
Think of it this way. Even if they don't find anything, at least then you will be able to rest knowing it isn't endometriosis or adhesions. And if they do find these, then hopefully they will be able to clean it out so you won't be in so much pain. And of course there is always the chance that they may find nothing and you'll still be in pain all the time. But at least you would be doing everything you could think of to get some answers. I just recently requested my operative and pathology reports from my hyst and found out I had adhesions removed from my sigmoid colon. This makes me suspicious that all the pain I have with stools moving down my tract is adhesions. But I don't know for sure. Here are some previous threads of others who had continuing problems with endo after their hyst:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=239329

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...04#post1148704

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=239473

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=238960

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=239595

I hope you get things figured out and get back on the road to health soon! Many HUGS to you and take care!
Unread 02-01-2006, 10:46 PM

I had adhesiolysis 8 months post-hyst. It was really no big deal and I was feeling much better afterwards.

good luck
d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2006, 08:52 AM

s Ann,

I am so sorry you are back in pain. I have had a lot of experience with adhesions, sorry to say, they are painful for me. I totally understand your feelings on going back for yet another surgery, some people can fly through this type of things with no issues at all, other of us(me), seem to get more fearful or timid about it the more we have to deal with it. My GYN went back in about a year and a half after my hyst which was my third surgery within a 2 yr span I was a nervouse wreck. People kept asking me why I felt that way since I already knew what was up. That's exactly it, I already knew that I was going to be a nervous wreck waiting to go into surgery, I already knew I was going to wake up in pain from surgery and I already knew that I would be starting recovery all over again!! So you're not alone...lots of us....don't ever want to hear the word surgery again. What I can tell you though is that this surgery was much easier to go through than the hyst, I ask for something to calm me before the surgery and got some meds that made the waiting much more bearable, don't actually remember a lot after they started my IV. Woke up in recovery with a lot less pain. I also remembered that the pain meds constipated me the last two times so I took measures with diet and meds to avoid that awful experience. I can honestly say all-in-all it went soooooo much better than my hyst. With all that said though, I am still a whimp and when they bring the possibility of going back in, I still get that sick feeling and want to for the hills. Anytime you are talking about surgery it is a major decision so make sure you get as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision. I hope they are able to help you get a good dx so you know if you are dealing with endo or adhesions or even both.

Hugs
Lenee
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks so much for the support and all of the links I've followed them up and they were all helpful. I have to have my laparoscopy on Ist March. I'm really scared, however ,that they'll find nothing for two reasons ,one is that, that will mean that they can't fix it and the other is that they will think that I'm losing my marbles.Endo. is such a funny condition it seems to hide in all sorts of places and cause discomfort and pain. I'm just thankful for all of you that continually support me and help me with advice and confidences from their own experience.Thank you so much,

Take care,

Ann
Unread 02-05-2006, 02:14 PM

so, are you saying post tah, i should consider a lap for removal of adhesions? i have been in pain since my hyst 8/04; with 6 wks of no pain. some days are worse than others....but for the most part i can wait until 1:00pm until taking the lortab....today it was terrible when I got out of sunday school at 12 i couldn't wait to get home and take some pain meds, right side, always right side. my gyn/ob just said recently to get another follow up ct scan since we haven't checked the last year. last year it didn't show anything. it feels like i have cysts bursting in there...mostly radiating from belly button down to the lower area radiating all the way to the right hip, making me so sore!
i'll stay in touch.
Unread 02-16-2006, 07:48 AM

I am also having alot of pain again. About six months after ab.hystterectomy they found ovary that grew back, had to have surgery all over again. Pain started again about 3 weeks ago, went to doc. he is so covinced it can't possibly be anything he did not do anything said it was my back from exercising, it is not my back. went to another doc am waiting on results of ultrasound.I also had endo. which new doc said may be the cause, I know they seen something on ultrasound but said I would have to talk to doc.I wish you all the luck in finding out what problem is.
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:14 AM

ika866,

s, I'm sorry to hear of your recurring pain. I see you had both of your ovaries taken and then had to go back again. You don't mention if you are on HRTs? Only curious because if I understand correctly, if endo. is an issue for you, with the presence of estrogen still in the body via hormone replacement, endo can continue to grow even with a small remnant left. There seems to be a fine line between the type of pain that comes from adhesions vs. endometrosis. Just my but I think your DR is no longer willing or just stumped at how to help you. I would seriously consider getting a second opinion. I have had a lot of back pain with my recurring pain but am still on the fence as to what is the cause this time. I have been diagnosed with adhesions and I can tell you they are very painful for me. Other people can have them with no pain at all. I am going to an endochronologist just to see if he can give me some insight into endo/estrogen and what his recommendations might be for me since I still have my left ovary. He might not be of any help at all but I thought it was worth checking it out anyway. I hope you find some answers and relief, don't give up on DRs it's just a matter of finding one that really has the aptitude to want to research every arena for you. Pain is real and can be life altering, you deserve to have someone work with you to help find the best resolution as possible for you.

In my prayers,
Lenee
Unread 02-17-2006, 05:40 AM

Thanks for all the support I got my paperwork this morning for the hospital and it has , really, knocked me for six. Endometriosis can be microscopic and what happens if they can't find anything? What will the recovery be like? Feel so low at the moment it is not true. Hope that you are all okay and that your problems are helped soon
Take care,

Ann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register