Acupuncture anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Acupuncture anyone? Acupuncture anyone?

Unread 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Acupuncture anyone?

Went to regular DR yesterday to get refill for pain meds(percocet). DR was glad I wasn't having to use it too often but I did confess that I use ibuprofen almost daily. I told him, GYN had mentioned going back in to dx endo, and if so, take the left ovary, clean up and stay off hrt to let it die off. My DR thought that maybe I should research some options other than another surgery(any surgery is major in his opinion) and I could still be a long way out from menopause, being 42 and the average age of women starting menopause is 50, maybe it's not time for me to give up on ovary yet. Acupuncture was an option he brought up, and he only gave me the names of two he knew and their reputation because he doesn't like to refer patients to DR he has never met or know of their practice. I told him I would seriously consider it. Anyone had it for chronic pain? Is it painful, I just keep imagining it to be and would like to get that mental block out of the way. Well, another adventure into the unknown I guess. I am willing to almost try anything to escape another surgery. Any comments would be great!

Hugs,
Lenee

Hugs,
Lenee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Acupuncture anyone?

Hi Leene,

I had accupuncture prior to my hyst. I had it done to help with my pain issues prior to the surgery and to aid with a less-painfull recovery from the operation. I thought it was really cool. It didn't hurt one bit. From what I was told, if you feel the needles they are not placed correctly. Accupuncture did help me with some of my PMS and period pain, but it couldn't totally remove the pain as I was, and due to recent sharp pain and reoccuring pain, pretty messed up inside with endo. But I liked the accupuncture and really felt the treatments worked the best they could for me. I actually found the treatments relaxing. One of my dogs goes too and she actually takes naps when she has her treatments.

I see you live in Maryland. So do I. If you are interested email me off list and I can tell you who I saw and more about my experience if you like. Just put something in the subject about accupuncture or the sisterhood so I don't delete it ;-) I think you can get my email addie from my profile some how.

Alll the best.
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Acupuncture anyone?

Oops Sorry Lenee. I didn't mean to spell your name wrong. Just got my ee's misplaced.

Ooops!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Acupuncture anyone?

Lenee,
I've been going to Accupuncture for about 2-1/2 years. It has helped me alot, I'm still not cured, but I am at a better place than I was before I began the treatments. The needles should not hurt, if they do, they are not placed properly. It is a very relaxing experience, I really look forward to my appointments.

Unread 02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Acupuncture anyone?

Thanks!! I am really looking for anything w/o the word 'surgery' in it
Unread 02-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Acupuncture anyone?

I have only had acupuncture a couple of times, Lenee, and found it very relaxing. It did help my pain...It relaxed me and yet energized me too. I did not find the needles painful at all...as a matter of fact they are so tiny I didn't even feel them. I think this is definitely a great alternative and should be explored by anyone having lots of pain.
Sherry
Unread 02-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Acupuncture anyone?

I, too, have been going to an acupuncturist for almost a year. I think I may stop because I am no longer having pain. I find the treatments relaxing and they did help with the pain. I would recommend it. However, I did change acupuncturists - the first one didn't have much experience, so I don't think what she was doing was working, although at first the treatments did take the pain away.
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Acupuncture anyone?

Thanks Ladies for the replies. My DH thinks it might be worth a try too. I am going to check into it and also check into my health insurance, I think my plan pays for a portion of alternative medicine.
Hugs to all,
Lenee
Unread 02-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Acupuncture anyone?

Lenee,
My previous insurance did cover accupuncture up to a certain dollar amount per year. I think I had a $200 dollar deductible and than they paid 90% of each visit up to $1200 per year. Do give your insurance company a call, it's worth looking into.

My current plan doesn't cover accupuncture unless it's used as post operative care. My accupuncturist mentioned to me a few weeks ago that there is going to be a change coming in insurance laws here, the insurance company will have to cover accupuncture. I don't have the details yet, but I will certainly be finding out.
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Acupuncture anyone?

Thanks Kim! I hope mine does some as well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register