I hope I'm making the right decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I hope I'm making the right decision I hope I'm making the right decision

Unread 02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I hope I'm making the right decision

Hi, this is my first post here. I am scheduled to have a LAVH on February 10th. The path to this began many years ago in 1991 when I had a ruptured appendix which caused major damage to my tubes. In 1997 I had a tubal pregnancy and had my left tube and ovary removed.
Last saturday I awoke with excrutiating pain in my lower right abdomen. My husband took me to the hospital where they did a CT and a transvaginal ultrasound. It was discoverd I had a mass and my ovary was torsioned which was causing the horrible pain.I was then referred to a gynocologist who did another ultrasound yesterday. He detected an 8 1/2 cm ovarian mass and fluid filled fallopian tube as well as numerous fibroids in my uterus which was approx. 12 weeks pregnant size.
The gyno says I have to have the ovary out to make sure it is not malignant. He also discussed my option to have a complete hysterectomy. My husband then asked him what he would do if it was his wife. The gyno replied " I would want her to go ahead with it since there still would be a cancer risk ( although small) I figured since I would be in immediate menopause there is no sense in keeping the uterus.
There is the possibility that I may have to have an abdominal hyst. depending on what the scope finds in terms as adhesions and such.
I don't want to have 2 surgeries if it's determined that my uterus needs to come out in the future. I just want it all over with. Am I jumping the gun here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2006, 01:38 PM

I wouldn't say you were jumping the gun, I would do the same. Good luck in deciding what is best for you.
Unread 02-03-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks for your post. Most times I think it's right but others I wonder. I just had the surgery scheduled yesterday. I have 6 days to back out, at least of the total hysto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2006, 05:28 PM

I did that for several years. Should I, no I am fine, maybe I should, no I shouldn't. Over and over, and finally I decided, just get it done! Good luck on your surgery!
Unread 02-03-2006, 05:45 PM

HI Melsy,
is there any reason you would want to keep your uterus? I mean, like would you still consider having children? (I don't know, can you if you have no ovaries? I mean, it would be like in vitro right?)

If I were you, I would opt for one surgery and take it all. I am having a hyst in march, leaving at least one ovary and my cervix. Hope this helps. Hugs Raymo
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:14 PM

I will tell you what my chiropractor told me . Get rid of it!! I dont want you coming back in my office only to wonder is it in the lymph nodes? is it in the abdomen? Is it anywhere else etc. Evil!!! take it out my opinion. Good luck in what You decide,and it is Your decision.
God bless I will pray for you
Celticd
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:33 PM

Good advice thanks so much, You're making me feel better about this. There really is no reason to keep it, I'm 40 years old and can't have more kids. The only drawback is the potential risks and recuperation time involved with more extensive surgery. Now, if they do definately find cancer I'm all for saying adios uterus, no questions asked. Thanks again. (((hugs))) Mels
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:41 PM

I finally had total abdominal hysterectomy after two laparoscopies in three months. It has been a long winter. Mine started with what I thought was appendix...but now I think it might have been need for hysterectomy all along. I had continual pelvic pain since October. Now it is done. The recovery is hard and will be long but it will be worth it. They took everything. I figured if i had to have the hysterectomey then why leave anything there to risk cancer later. Only thing I have noticed hormonally is some night sweats and crying spells if I let my pain get the best of me or over do it. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:54 PM

Best wishes to you for whatever decision you make. I do suggest at least a second opinion before having any major surgery. Have you checked out our resource database? The tab is to the left of your screen.
Unread 02-03-2006, 09:12 PM

HI Melsy,

I think you are making a good decision for yourself. I had fibroids in pre-op and if you are a possible candidate for a less invasive hyst right now, I'd say, go for it. I know I did with my LSH. Your fibroids and ovarian mass ~could~ keep growing and then you might only be a candidate for a more invasive hyst.

In my opinion, it comes down to your long term health and it sounds like your Dr. is working with you on that.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register