Neurectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Neurectomy

I had a visit with my Gyn yesterday. We discussed the lack of pain relief from the nerve block I had nearly 3 weeks ago. I have an appointment to go back to see the pain management Dr in a few days. I am having difficulty taking the Trileptal. I am supposed to be taking 600mg twice a day but it causes me to be so dizzy that occasionally I have a difficult time walking straight. My head feels fuzzy and I'm tired all the time. Hopefully the Dr will have some answers for me.
My Gyn told me he had seen something on the web from a Dr at Cornell who has done neurectomies on women with this type of nerve damage. He e-mailed the Dr and discussed my case asking for more information. He's waiting for a response.
Have any of you had a neurectomy? It certainly seems like a drastic measure but I am curious for more details.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Neurectomy

Michelle, I had not heard of this procedure until I read your post but being curious, I had to go and see what I could find out about it on the internet. I found out that many medical schools teach "presacral neurectomy" as part of their ob/gyn curriculum so apparently it is more commonly done than one might think. I found a good article describing neurectomy for ilioinguinal neuralgia (which I see from past posts is what you might have had problems with?). The link below seems to be pretty positive about the outcomes for most of the patients. I do hope it helps you some in deciding what to do.
http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/frd...58238&fid=4399
Unread 02-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Neurectomy

Thank you. I checked out the link you provided. It was very informative. Now that I've read it I think I will have to get more information from the neurologist. I had a pain block done nearly 3 weeks ago and all it did was make my leg numb causing me to have difficulty walking. From what I understood in the study candidates had to have at least partial relief from a nerve block.
The neurologist also mentioned that the nerve may be trapped in scar tissue. He mentioned surgical release as a possibilty if the nerve blocks didn't work.
Thanks again for taking the time and doing some research for me. It's so wonderful to have the support of hystersisters. You are a blessing.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Neurectomy

Michelle,
I have had both my right and left illingual (sp?) nerves removed. Well, not totally removed, my doctor said that they can't ever actually remove the whole nerve. I still have some pain issues, but my pelvic pain is gone for the most part. It flares every once in a while, but even when it does it's at a tolerable level.

I'm not an expert by any means, but if you didn't receive any relief from the nerve block I would have to wonder if your pain is coming from the nerve. Or it could be, that they didn't hit the right nerve when they did the block.

Unread 02-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Neurectomy

Kim, did you have any residual affects from the neurectomy like numbness or loss of feeling? I guess my concern is that nerves serve a purpose, they help to innervate the area with the nerve endings that register pain, and temperature. Diabetics who have lost feeling due to neuropathy need to be extremely careful not to burn themselves or be exposed to cold without protective covering. Not that my belly is going to sit on the stove or hang out in the snow, but just wondering if the neurectomy has affected you.
My Gyn thinks the anesthesiologist missed the nerve because my leg became numb instead of my belly. I am going back to see the anesthesiologist this week to discuss this. At times I think I have all the symptoms of ilioinguinal neuralgia and at others I think that adhesions could be a possibility. Having a BM or not having one affects the level of pain I have also. Standing for long periods of time or sitting for long periods of time affect the level of pain too.
I read that Chronic Pelvic pain sometimes takes up to 18 months to get a clear diagnosis. Heavens I hope I don't have to wait that long.
Michelle
Unread 02-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Neurectomy

Michelle,
I have some numbness in my pelvic area, but that's about it. When I initially had it done, it was very very numb. That was a really weird feeling. As the years have gone on, I do have some sensation back in that area, but there is still numbness. My doctor said that the nerves can regenerate. The numbness in that area doesn't bother me at all.

When it comes to pain, there can be so many causes. Also, there is something called referred pain, that is, where you feel the pain is not necessarily where the pain is coming from.

It can be a difficult journey, but hang in there and keep looking for answers. You never know when you'll hit upon the solution for relief.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register