Do I need Progesterone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I need Progesterone? Do I need Progesterone?

Unread 02-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Do I need Progesterone?

does any one know.....
i tried to talk to my doc about the jasmine bcp for hrt. she told me because i have everything gone.. (no uterus or ovaries ) that i don't need progesterone and therefore didn't recommend it. so she upped my dose of premarin to 1.25 because i'm only 39. can we take progesterone eventhough no uterus???? i'm still confused. i can't seem to get a straight answer. i told her about my hairloss and she told me to increase hrt and cut my hair. i don't know what to do. help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Do I need Progesterone?

birdy,
if your doc hasthe nerve to tell ylu to cut your hair, well then sheis pretty nervy. I'd find a new doc. yes they use bc pills all the time time for women in your age group. I am 51 and asked about yasmin but she sid I was too old. now I know that is true, so i'll let it be, but i'm looking for a new gyn myself.
Have you thought aobut taking estrace instead of premarin? Just b/c it is natural estrogen. A comparable dose would be about 2mg Estrace (for the .125 premarin). I took that dose for a long time so I know it works but I use progesterone and I do feel better with it.
best
vali
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Do I need Progesterone?

I can't believe she told you to cut your hair! How rude!!

I am also 39. I had everything removed just over a year ago. My gyn just recommended replacing the estrogen. We slowly upped the dosage, partly because part of at least one of my ovaries is still in there and was trying to work, and partly because of a history of depression, which is resistant to anti-depressants. I felt really good on Vivelle .125 (2 patches), but was gaining weight like crazy. So I'm now at .1125 (2 patches). Then I started seeing a nurse practitioner who specializes in hormone balancing. Her theory is that you need to balance the hormones, not just replace them. I'm now on progesterone and testosterone cream also. She only does saliva hormone testing, which she says is more accurate.

You should definitely find a new doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Do I need Progesterone?

Hi!

Women without a uterus can use progesterone. The question is, do you need it? There are a lot of symptoms we can experience when our hormones aren't balanced. It can help to print the too much/too little list and check off the symptoms you are experiencing. There are three articles in the Hormone Jungle Articles about progesterone. Look for articles #30, 31 and 47 for additional information.

Hairloss can also be a symptom of thyroid levels being off, so it might be a good idea to have your levels checked if you haven't had them tested lately.

Yasmin doesn't contain progesterone--it contains a progestin called drospirenone. You can read more about Yasmin by doing a Google search using "Yasmin" as your search term. There are medical conditions where Yasmin is contraindicated, so it's important to take your personal health history into account, just as it is with deciding on any hormone therapy.

If you feel your current doctor isn't helping you find your balance, you may want to find a doctor who is more knowledgeable about prescribing hormones. One way to do that is to call a compounding pharmacy and ask which doctors use their services. You can find a compounding pharmacy using the locator feature of this site: www.iacprx.org.

It's possible that the increased dose of your Premarin will help. If not, I hope you can find a doctor who will work with you so that you can feel your best!

s
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Do I need Progesterone?

I'd be really ticked if my doctor told me to cut my hair and treated me that way. I believe I'd be finding another doctor real soon. I had some hair loss during the first year too and in haste and through my own decision, I had my hair cut off in September. All that did was make me more miserable and feel even more old and ugly. If you don't want to cut your hair, don't do it. The loss will probably stop. Mine did, or at least it slowed down. Try taking some flax seed oil, fish oil, or evening primrose oil supplements or you can find combinations of all of them in one Omega supplement. It has helped my hair and skin tremendously. Now if I could just get it to grow back faster

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register