Incisional Hernia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incisional Hernia Incisional Hernia

Unread 02-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Incisional Hernia

I had TAH on 9/26/05 via a midline vertical incision. I had some problems with pain on my left side at about 6 weeks post-op and my doctor was somewhat reluctant to do anything about it, saying that it was not gynacological. I indicated that I wasn't ready to leave without an answer so he ordered a CT scan. The scan showed some "normal" post-op edema and nothing much else. I was advised to consult either my primary or my GI doctor. The pain had almost disappeared by the time I got the results and I had normal bowel movements so I figured that it was the edema and got on with my life. I had told my OB/GYN that my job involves heavy lifting at times but his response was that after six weeks I would be fine and need not moderate my activities. I am now approximately 4 months post-op and noticed a lump at the side of the scar just this morning. It definitely wasn't there yesterday. I know it is an incisional hernia although I have to wait for the doctor to confirm this. I also had to move some heavy boxes at work yesterday! Now I know that I will have to have more abdominal surgery and I am feeling very angry. I had two C-sections years ago and healed quite normally. My abdominal scar following the TAH was and still is a mess. Could that be why my muscle layer has now failed also? Was the advice to carry on as normal after 6 weeks erroneous? So many questions and I'm not sure anyone is going to give me answers.

Ionna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Incisional Hernia

My doctor told me nothing over 10 pounds for at least 6 months.. I'm so sorry that happened to you.. Let us know what happens at the doctors.. my thoughts are with you.
Unread 02-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Incisional Hernia

I haven't had this happen but I'm offering a big soft I hope you get your answer soon so in there and please keep us informed.

Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Incisional Hernia

Thank you for your support sisters. I will let you know what the Doc says. I see him next Tuesday 2/14/06.
Unread 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Incisional Hernia

Ionna, I am amazed your Dr allowed you to lift after TAH!! Seems a bad idea to me. I know this has you upset, I will keep you in my thoughts and send out good positive hopes and prayers. Do let us know the outcome.
My Dr has told me NO lifting more than 10 lbs for ever!!
Unread 02-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Incisional Hernia

I had a TAH including ovaries and cervix a 7 months ago. My incision became infected.. so off to the ER where the doctor told me to "quit being a baby" a hysterectomy was nothing..kids stuff" well my stoamch became more and more painful plus I could see this huge bulge in my pelvic area.. sure enough it is a huge hernia..which by the way is caused by an infection. When the area becomes infected the muscles do not heal right. So..talk about angry! If that doctor would have given me anti biotics for the infection I KNEW I had I would have to be going through another major surgery Mar 28th!! TWO surgeries in one year because a doctor said I was being a baby.. Doctors need to listen to their patients..I know my body better than anyone and I knew something was wrong. I can't even walk up stairs by evening time.. I look nine months pregnant..so ladies if you think you have an incision infection DEMAND a swab be taken.. it can be a deep infection in the muscles like I had.. all they do is quick swab and it takes less than 20 seconds.. If I was rich I would sue his butt off!! Good luck to you.. CHEERS!
Unread 02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Incisional Hernia

The lesson here is simply: WE, as women need to be self advocates, and as women we are given the gift of intuition, and YES we need to speak up and demand to be listened to. Our bodies are our own and for a DR to suggest that you were being a baby :wowee: I would be just furious!!!!!
I am so fed up with some of these Docs out there.. Okay I feel better. Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register